Got any phobias???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2012, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2012 12:44 AM by aurora.)
Got any phobias???
Apart from the obvious and common phobias of Acrophobia (fear of heights) and Claustrophobia (fear of being closed in), both of which I have (but didn't as a child), what other phobias have you got???

My son has 'medical fear' which causes him to pass out in almost any medical context (an extension of Trypanophobia). He has passed out in the doctors surgery (whilst getting antibiotics for an abscessed tooth cos every time he goes to the dentist he throws up and passes out). He passed out when his girlfriend was trying to take his blood pressure (she's training to be a nurse).
I am in the process of getting him some cognitive behavioural therapy to see if we stop or minimize these occurrences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobias_list

oh, and I also have arachnophobia to a lesser extent Dodgy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2012, 09:05 PM
RE: Got any phobia's???
(20-08-2012 08:59 PM)aurora Wrote:  Apart from the obvious and common phobia's of Acrophobia (fear of heights) and Claustrophobia (fear of being closed in), both of which I have (but didn't as a child), what other phobia's have you got???

When it comes to phobias, I have a bit of a niggle when it comes to incorrectly used apostrophes.

A Facebook friend (and distant cousin) has a photo album that she often updates. It is entitled "My Cat's". Every time I see it, a demon on my shoulder is screaming "Your Cat's... what!?".

I'm not sure if that counts as a phobia.

[Image: spellingnazi.jpg]

Cool
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-08-2012, 09:10 PM
I have the heights thing and the claustrophobia though I can usually control them.

Son is completely whacked out by anything having to do with veins. It goes well beyond having blood drawn or an IV started...he can't stand to have his pulse or blood pressure taken because he can then feel the beat. He WILL and does pass out. Even talking about it in front of him can turn him green and sweaty. Have no idea where it came from, there was no bad experience that I can remember.

Bu't I dont' have apos'trophe issues'.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-08-2012, 09:16 PM
I have a phobia about swimming in the sea. Mostly, I attribute this to a particular movie (Jaws) which was released (and viewed) by me at a far-too-impressionable age. And I've never managed to lose that inbuilt fear.

But it isn't just about man-eating creatures beneath the waves. It is the knowledge of such a huge proportion of the Animal Kingdom that exists between my upper torso and my lower torso, immediately below the waves.

I have similar panic-situations in peaceful settings like lakes... and being touched by a fish (of any variety) gives me the heeby-jeebies that usually result in a very fast swim/crawl/paddle/running across the surface of the water... until I'm safely beyond ankle-depth.

I know that it is (mostly) irrational, but I just can't lose it.

I'm fine in a chlorinated swimming pool (where it's clear enough for me to see that it's devoid of any wildlife).
20-08-2012, 09:34 PM
I have a snake phobia, which, as I've gotten older, seems to have morphed into a fear of my own white snake. Confused

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
20-08-2012, 09:37 PM
(20-08-2012 09:34 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I have a snake phobia, which, as I've gotten older, seems to have morphed into a fear of my own white snake. Confused

The best way of coping with snakes is to cut its head off. Have you tried that with your "own white snake"?
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
20-08-2012, 09:38 PM
BEARS! COUGARS! ALLIGATORS! SHARKS!

and cancer Sad
20-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Got any phobia's???
(20-08-2012 09:38 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  BEARS! COUGARS! ALLIGATORS! SHARKS!

and cancer Sad

Are there a lot of alligators and sharks in your part of Canada?

That reminds me. I have a friend who has a whale phobia. The fuck? Who even hangs out where you're going to encounter a whale?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
20-08-2012, 09:45 PM
(20-08-2012 09:41 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  That reminds me. I have a friend who has a whale phobia. The fuck? Who even hangs out where you're going to encounter a whale?

Well, that would be a subset of my own phobia (the sea, not apostrophes).
20-08-2012, 09:46 PM
I have a fear of spiders...

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post