Got any phobias???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2012, 11:36 PM
RE: RE: Got any phobias???
(20-08-2012 11:32 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 11:24 PM)aurora Wrote:  Okay, it's changed it.

Derailed my own thread Dodgy

I'll soon fix that.

So... my phobia of the sea/lakes/watery-areas in which you can't see below the surface; can anyone else identify with that?

It's a kind of aquaphobia if the aqua is opaque.

In the area I live in, it's all lakes with no really big underwater creatures. The worst is maybe a beaver. Well, I think it might be an urban legend, but there is a story circulating that someone let their pet piranhas out into one of these local lakes and the population grew and they attacked some kids on a beach. I've heard the story with snakes, too. Confused Ugh!

Not necessarily a full blown phobia, but no more murky lake swims for this gal.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2012, 11:40 PM
RE: Got any phobias???
(20-08-2012 11:32 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 11:24 PM)aurora Wrote:  Okay, it's changed it.

Derailed my own thread Dodgy

I'll soon fix that.

So... my phobia of the sea/lakes/watery-areas in which you can't see below the surface; can anyone else identify with that?

I'm not trying to appease the apostrophe god but, yes, I'm the same. I don't like swimming where I can't see what's underneath me.
It could be due to the fact that as a child, when my brother and I were on a long (plank) board out in the sea, several black things and a stingray were circling under us and we shat ourselves. I was about eight years old if I remember correctly.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
20-08-2012, 11:48 PM
(20-08-2012 11:36 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  In the area I live in, it's all lakes with no really big underwater creatures. The worst is maybe a beaver. Well, I think it might be an urban legend, but there is a story circulating that someone let their pet piranhas out into one of these local lakes and the population grew and they attacked some kids on a beach. I've heard the story with snakes, too. Confused Ugh!

Not necessarily a full blown phobia, but no more murky lake swims for this gal.

Heh. As for the piranhas, they're scavengers not predators. They'll feed off of a corpse, but they won't attack you. This is another of those urban legends that have been around for years.

I probably watch too many episodes of the BBC's QI. Dodgy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-08-2012, 11:49 PM
(20-08-2012 11:40 PM)aurora Wrote:  several black things and a stingray were circling under us and we shat ourselves.

And after that, there were several black things and a brown thing circling under you.
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
20-08-2012, 11:50 PM
(20-08-2012 11:49 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 11:40 PM)aurora Wrote:  several black things and a stingray were circling under us and we shat ourselves.

And after that, there were several black things and a brown thing circling under you.

LOL, make that TWO brown things....ew

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
21-08-2012, 01:17 AM
(20-08-2012 11:32 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  So... my phobia of the sea/lakes/watery-areas in which you can't see below the surface; can anyone else identify with that?

I have a friend who is afraid of both heights and depths. If he goes up on a ladder, he'll get just up so far, and then he freezes... can't go any further and might even need to be talked down. He doesn't mind at all looking down from a high place - from the safety of a window. No going into water over his head, though... but he'll happily sit in or on a boat and look down into the water. He says the sensation he gets when looking down from height or into water, is the same - somewhat disorienting and sometimes dizzying.

For me... it's RATS. Rodents of any sort, pretty much piss me off all together. Love snakes mainly because I have no problem with anything that will kill a rat. I try to learn more about them, which helps me to loath them less... but only just a teeny bit less. Here's something interesting: For each and every human in New York City, there are 12 rats or mice... humans are outnumbered by rats, 12 to 1.
Don't ya just love that shit? Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Got any phobias???
Oh yeah I have a rat/rodent phobia that is worse than my snake/reptile phobia because there is the potential for seeing a rat anywhere. Even saw a little grey mouse at work the other day. Eek! Come to think of it, that little bugger looked an awful lot like Muffs. Dodgy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
21-08-2012, 02:00 AM
Absolutely horrified of deep, dark water, especially if there's something large in the water as well, like a boat or a dock. Anytime I fish, or go out on a lake, if I think too much about being in the water right next to me, I have a small panic attack.

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]
21-08-2012, 02:04 AM
(21-08-2012 02:00 AM)Ghost0fBanquo Wrote:  Absolutely horrified of deep, dark water, especially if there's something large in the water as well, like a boat or a dock. Anytime I fish, or go out on a lake, if I think too much about being in the water right next to me, I have a small panic attack.

Ooo! Sounds like we have that in common. Not sure what a panic attack feels like... or perhaps I do. There were 4 of us, wading through some shallow water on a Thai island, with snorkelling gear ready to look at some of the pretty fish... only, I collapsed (mentally) and ran as fast as waist-deep water will allow you to run... all the way back to the bar at the beach, where I rather sheepishly had a drink while I waited on my friends to finish having fun.
21-08-2012, 02:06 AM
(21-08-2012 02:04 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  Ooo! Sounds like we have that in common. Not sure what a panic attack feels like... or perhaps I do. There were 4 of us, wading through some shallow water on a Thai island, with snorkelling gear ready to look at some of the pretty fish... only, I collapsed (mentally) and ran as fast as waist-deep water will allow you to run... all the way back to the bar at the beach, where I rather sheepishly had a drink while I waited on my friends to finish having fun.

Yeah! I guess that would explain it more than a 'panic attack'. I just get this immense... jumpiness, and I wanna get away from it immediately.

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]