Got any phobias???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2012, 11:36 PM
RE: RE: Got any phobias???
(20-08-2012 11:32 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 11:24 PM)aurora Wrote:  Okay, it's changed it.

Derailed my own thread Dodgy

I'll soon fix that.

So... my phobia of the sea/lakes/watery-areas in which you can't see below the surface; can anyone else identify with that?

It's a kind of aquaphobia if the aqua is opaque.

In the area I live in, it's all lakes with no really big underwater creatures. The worst is maybe a beaver. Well, I think it might be an urban legend, but there is a story circulating that someone let their pet piranhas out into one of these local lakes and the population grew and they attacked some kids on a beach. I've heard the story with snakes, too. Confused Ugh!

Not necessarily a full blown phobia, but no more murky lake swims for this gal.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2012, 11:40 PM
RE: Got any phobias???
(20-08-2012 11:32 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 11:24 PM)aurora Wrote:  Okay, it's changed it.

Derailed my own thread Dodgy

I'll soon fix that.

So... my phobia of the sea/lakes/watery-areas in which you can't see below the surface; can anyone else identify with that?

I'm not trying to appease the apostrophe god but, yes, I'm the same. I don't like swimming where I can't see what's underneath me.
It could be due to the fact that as a child, when my brother and I were on a long (plank) board out in the sea, several black things and a stingray were circling under us and we shat ourselves. I was about eight years old if I remember correctly.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
20-08-2012, 11:48 PM
(20-08-2012 11:36 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  In the area I live in, it's all lakes with no really big underwater creatures. The worst is maybe a beaver. Well, I think it might be an urban legend, but there is a story circulating that someone let their pet piranhas out into one of these local lakes and the population grew and they attacked some kids on a beach. I've heard the story with snakes, too. Confused Ugh!

Not necessarily a full blown phobia, but no more murky lake swims for this gal.

Heh. As for the piranhas, they're scavengers not predators. They'll feed off of a corpse, but they won't attack you. This is another of those urban legends that have been around for years.

I probably watch too many episodes of the BBC's QI. Dodgy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-08-2012, 11:49 PM
(20-08-2012 11:40 PM)aurora Wrote:  several black things and a stingray were circling under us and we shat ourselves.

And after that, there were several black things and a brown thing circling under you.
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
20-08-2012, 11:50 PM
(20-08-2012 11:49 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 11:40 PM)aurora Wrote:  several black things and a stingray were circling under us and we shat ourselves.

And after that, there were several black things and a brown thing circling under you.

LOL, make that TWO brown things....ew

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
21-08-2012, 01:17 AM
(20-08-2012 11:32 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  So... my phobia of the sea/lakes/watery-areas in which you can't see below the surface; can anyone else identify with that?

I have a friend who is afraid of both heights and depths. If he goes up on a ladder, he'll get just up so far, and then he freezes... can't go any further and might even need to be talked down. He doesn't mind at all looking down from a high place - from the safety of a window. No going into water over his head, though... but he'll happily sit in or on a boat and look down into the water. He says the sensation he gets when looking down from height or into water, is the same - somewhat disorienting and sometimes dizzying.

For me... it's RATS. Rodents of any sort, pretty much piss me off all together. Love snakes mainly because I have no problem with anything that will kill a rat. I try to learn more about them, which helps me to loath them less... but only just a teeny bit less. Here's something interesting: For each and every human in New York City, there are 12 rats or mice... humans are outnumbered by rats, 12 to 1.
Don't ya just love that shit? Blink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
21-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Got any phobias???
Oh yeah I have a rat/rodent phobia that is worse than my snake/reptile phobia because there is the potential for seeing a rat anywhere. Even saw a little grey mouse at work the other day. Eek! Come to think of it, that little bugger looked an awful lot like Muffs. Dodgy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
21-08-2012, 02:00 AM
Absolutely horrified of deep, dark water, especially if there's something large in the water as well, like a boat or a dock. Anytime I fish, or go out on a lake, if I think too much about being in the water right next to me, I have a small panic attack.

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]
21-08-2012, 02:04 AM
(21-08-2012 02:00 AM)Ghost0fBanquo Wrote:  Absolutely horrified of deep, dark water, especially if there's something large in the water as well, like a boat or a dock. Anytime I fish, or go out on a lake, if I think too much about being in the water right next to me, I have a small panic attack.

Ooo! Sounds like we have that in common. Not sure what a panic attack feels like... or perhaps I do. There were 4 of us, wading through some shallow water on a Thai island, with snorkelling gear ready to look at some of the pretty fish... only, I collapsed (mentally) and ran as fast as waist-deep water will allow you to run... all the way back to the bar at the beach, where I rather sheepishly had a drink while I waited on my friends to finish having fun.
21-08-2012, 02:06 AM
(21-08-2012 02:04 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  Ooo! Sounds like we have that in common. Not sure what a panic attack feels like... or perhaps I do. There were 4 of us, wading through some shallow water on a Thai island, with snorkelling gear ready to look at some of the pretty fish... only, I collapsed (mentally) and ran as fast as waist-deep water will allow you to run... all the way back to the bar at the beach, where I rather sheepishly had a drink while I waited on my friends to finish having fun.

Yeah! I guess that would explain it more than a 'panic attack'. I just get this immense... jumpiness, and I wanna get away from it immediately.

[Image: g8g7t.jpg]