Got any phobias???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2013, 09:06 PM
RE: Got any phobias???
I have a fear of lightning if I am outside. Not just a nagging "I should go inside where it's safer" feeling - it's more of a minor panic attack. If lightning is flashing I'm running to cover with or without you. My heart just goes crazy and I can't think of anything other than "run away!"

Fear of heights is another, but that's common.

I am necrophobic - that is, afraid of dead things. I don't mind recently deceased animals. After all, I have had many pets, and have handled dead gerbils, rats, hamsters, fish, and toads. It's the decay and infestation by nasty things that bothers me. I think it is because of unpleasant childhood experiences with dead animals in the wild; the large dead fish in the water at the beach, the maggoty chipmunk...

I think I have a fear of flying too. The thought of going in a plane triggers a lot of anxiety. It's not because of terrorism or crashing, but because it is something I have never done in my memory (I only went on a plane as a child). The idea of being stuck in a metal can packed with strangers whipping through the air at hundreds of kilometres an hour for several hours at extreme altitudes bothers me a lot.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2013, 09:28 PM
(06-07-2013 09:06 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  I think I have a fear of flying too. The thought of going in a plane triggers a lot of anxiety. It's not because of terrorism or crashing, but because it is something I have never done in my memory (I only went on a plane as a child). The idea of being stuck in a metal can packed with strangers whipping through the air at hundreds of kilometres an hour for several hours at extreme altitudes bothers me a lot.

Well dammit if that description just planted a seed in my head...

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
06-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Flying cockroaches lol
i could manage them pretty well in the past,till i slept at my aunt one time and this cockroach landed on my face.
Since then,if i see a flying cockroach,it means
1.kill it
or
2.get out of the room

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
06-07-2013, 10:52 PM
I have a fear of mental illness. Not people with mental illnesses, but me developing one. Nothing scares me more then the thought of slowly losing my mind/sanity/etc. Kind of a weird phobia, but I am ok with getting old and the physical deterioration hat occurs, but not having a sharp mind is something I don't want to go through.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
07-07-2013, 08:30 AM
It's too late for me to be afraid of mental illness. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
07-07-2013, 02:48 PM
(06-07-2013 10:52 PM)AtheistTeacher Wrote:  I have a fear of mental illness. Not people with mental illnesses, but me developing one. Nothing scares me more then the thought of slowly losing my mind/sanity/etc. Kind of a weird phobia, but I am ok with getting old and the physical deterioration hat occurs, but not having a sharp mind is something I don't want to go through.

Yeah I can feel ya on that one. Probably one of the reasons I'm such a staunch rationalist... Buying into too much Woo feels like a slippery slope.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2013, 03:20 PM

One of em

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
07-07-2013, 04:57 PM
(07-07-2013 03:20 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  

One of em

The clown was scarier than that.......

but this?

[Image: big_spiders.png]

my reaction Evil_monster

Tongue

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
09-07-2013, 09:03 PM
(05-07-2013 01:35 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 01:25 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  I don't know what it's called, but I'm afraid of the feeling of suede.

Weird right?

Whoa, that's the first I've heard of this. If you don't mind, could you explain this phobia to me? Like what is the thought process behind it?

For me and spiders, it's this irrational fear that I'm going to get bit and die. Even when I'm killing it, I'm jumpy because I'm afraid it will leap onto my hand/foot.

Ok, my fear of suede manifests itself in the weird ass feeling of it.

I don't wear suede because of this.

The feeling to me feels like death, it makes me want to pull my teeth out, I don't understand it either.

I'm also afraid of fabrics when it's really hot.
09-07-2013, 09:05 PM
(06-07-2013 10:52 PM)AtheistTeacher Wrote:  I have a fear of mental illness. Not people with mental illnesses, but me developing one. Nothing scares me more then the thought of slowly losing my mind/sanity/etc. Kind of a weird phobia, but I am ok with getting old and the physical deterioration hat occurs, but not having a sharp mind is something I don't want to go through.

Sadly I am going through that as we speak.

I don't know what it is (puberty, and actual illness etc.) but I feel dumb.

I usually feel highly intelligent and can form complex sentences, but I just feel like I'm losing my intelligence slowly.