Got any summer house renovations plans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2017, 10:36 PM
RE: Got any summer house renovations plans?
(02-05-2017 09:48 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  We just had our roof done. Everytime the wind would blow I'd find pieces of roofing all over the lawn. It was a 20 year old roof and waaaaaay past the time to replace it.

But I'm super sick of the popcorn ceilings and since I decided to repaint the kitchen I looked up at that stupid lumpy popcorn and said to myself...."Self, let's do it!!!!!" So I've spent the last five days reading about all the pitfalls and best ideas on how to do remove it. Had it tested for asbestos and it's fine. I was kinda wishing it would have asbestos in it so then I'd HAVE to hire a professional. Dodgy

Get a sprayer and fill it with soapy water (Dawn works well), spray the part you’ll be working on and let it sit for fifteen minutes or so then scrape with a joint knike like this one

[Image: ec4b79d4-45e0-46c2-94fa-985e457509b8_1000.jpg]

Make sure to wear head covering, eye protection and face protection like this

[Image: Magic-Headband-Seamless-Scarf-font-b-Sku...ana-3D.jpg]

Good luck.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-05-2017, 09:12 AM
(02-05-2017 09:48 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  We just had our roof done. Everytime the wind would blow I'd find pieces of roofing all over the lawn. It was a 20 year old roof and waaaaaay past the time to replace it.

But I'm super sick of the popcorn ceilings and since I decided to repaint the kitchen I looked up at that stupid lumpy popcorn and said to myself...."Self, let's do it!!!!!" So I've spent the last five days reading about all the pitfalls and best ideas on how to do remove it. Had it tested for asbestos and it's fine. I was kinda wishing it would have asbestos in it so then I'd HAVE to hire a professional. Dodgy

Do like FC says, but use one of these-

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/...fgod240I4g

You can attach a plastic shopping bag to it to collect the crud as it falls.
03-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Got any summer house renovations plans?

Hopefully the popcorn wasn't painted over as this will make it more difficult. Also, most ceilings that had popcorn on them were not finished smooth because the popcorn covers it up. You may have to mud and sand the joints before you paint the ceiling. Use a flat paint as it will not show imperfections as bad.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
03-05-2017, 10:20 AM
(02-05-2017 01:02 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Anyone else got reno plans? I'd love to hear whatcha got going.

My SO's daughter and a roommate have been living in her condo since she moved in with me about 3 years ago. The daughter is moving in with her fiance so they moved out a couple of weeks ago and left the place trashed.

I'm doing some light plumping and electrical. Replacing the French doors at the back of the house, and painting the whole place inside and out. Plus we just hired someone to replace all the carpet yesterday.

I'm hoping to be done by the end of the month. We're probably going to put the place up for sale when we're done. A third rental is more than I want to take of, but if it doesn't sell quick we will probably rent this one out too.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
03-05-2017, 10:23 AM
(02-05-2017 10:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Get a sprayer and fill it with soapy water (Dawn works well), spray the part you’ll be working on and let it sit for fifteen minutes or so then scrape with a joint knike like this one

Spray it, wait, spray it again, then scrape has worked best for me when I've stripped popcorn in the past.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
03-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Renovating my summer house? My gazebo is my summer house and it needs no renovation. Tongue

As for my winter house, I built it 9 years ago just the way I wanted it, and it stays as is. Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-05-2017, 12:15 PM
(03-05-2017 12:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  My gazebo is my summer house and it needs no renovation. Tongue

THANK YOU. I have been trying to remember what those things were called for like a week.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
03-05-2017, 12:35 PM
(02-05-2017 10:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Get a sprayer and fill it with soapy water (Dawn works well), spray the part you’ll be working on and let it sit for fifteen minutes or so then scrape with a joint knike like this one

[Image: ec4b79d4-45e0-46c2-94fa-985e457509b8_1000.jpg]

Make sure to wear head covering, eye protection and face protection like this

[Image: Magic-Headband-Seamless-Scarf-font-b-Sku...ana-3D.jpg]

Good luck.

I'm in the middle of taking the popcorn crap off as we speak. I'm waiting for an area to soak in. I used fabric softener in the water which seems to do fine but maybe I'll try Dawn too. The damned popcorn is painted.

I'm dressed like a Hazmat guy from the Chernobyl clean up crew, complete with bootie covers... but I'm not going to take any photos of myself because, well....I look like a Hazmat guy from the Chernobyl clean up crew. Dodgy

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
03-05-2017, 01:21 PM
I am committed to cleaning and organizing. I also have a room to paint and it's high time I hang my TVs on the wall.
03-05-2017, 01:32 PM
Popcorn update:

Sigh. There are places where the popcorn is thicker and the paint covering is thicker too and the water doesn't really penetrate. Grrrrr. I'm wetting it again and again and waiting. I'm gonna have myself a cup of tea while a section soaks. Some of the thinner areas are coming off pretty easy though.

Another guy said to try vinegar and water. May try that.

Laters......

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.