"Got religion"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2017, 07:30 PM
"Got religion"
Is anybody familiar with the saying that somebody "got religion?" For example: "Phred Blixburg used to play poker and drink with the rest of the guys, but then one day he got religion, and he's been a bit of a weirdo ever since." I've heard this used in a similar context many times, but alas, I can't remember any specific sources. Used in this manner, somebody who "got religion" seems to have been afflicted by something akin to a disease. Has anyone else heard this? What are your thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2017, 07:37 PM
RE: "Got religion"
Yes, I contracted religion Tongue

Luckily I wasn't too contagious.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
31-05-2017, 07:59 PM
Yep. Met a guy who said a convicted child molester got religion and turned around. Now he's in charge of a youth group.

Can't see anything wrong with that all. Because Jesus.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
31-05-2017, 09:13 PM
I've known a couple like this back in my churchgoing days. One was a recovering drug addict, one with a gambling issue. Both of them (1 male, 1 female) really did turn their life around because they "found Jesus".

As far as I'm concerned, more power to them. If belief in some sort of omnipotent deity helps them get through life, who am I to stop them?
31-05-2017, 09:20 PM
I knew a guy my older brother's age that used to be a big partier, then suddenly he "got religion" and was always bugging us kids on the block to go to church with him.
Luckily he snapped out of it and went back to his heathen ways.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
31-05-2017, 11:08 PM
It's funny how it doesn't tend to happen in heathen heavy countries like mine, where the community will view you with suspicion rather than welcome your new-found faith with open arms.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
01-06-2017, 01:08 AM
Quote:I remember the year Clayton Delaney died
The said for the two weeks that he suffered and cried
I made a big impression on me although I was a barefoot kid
They said he got religion at the end and I'm glad that he did
The Year Clayton Delaney Died by Tom T. Hall

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
01-06-2017, 01:50 AM
It's a phrase I commonly associate with people in prison, who are serving crazy sentaces for murder. If they didn't "get" religion, its that they've "found" it. Who knows where it was though, down the back of the sofa?

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
01-06-2017, 04:01 AM
(31-05-2017 07:30 PM)captainphilbo Wrote:  Has anyone else heard this? What are your thoughts?

To say one "got religion" is admitting one made mistakes, is reforming oneself, and is starting over as if it all never happened. A clean slate is one of the big benefits of believing in a forgiving God. If one is bogged down with a feeling of worthlessness and helplessness, it can help to change one's self-concept. Sometimes it even works.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
01-06-2017, 04:28 AM
"Got religion"
Got religion? It makes religion sound like some kind of ilness which isn't bad description. Didn't heard that one.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.