Got screwed - Need Tax (US) Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2015, 08:23 AM
Got screwed - Need Tax (US) Help
So, my company has had me down as a Texas resident instead of a Louisiana resident since I started (September 2013). This means I have had $0 taken out of my check for state taxes. Last year it was negligible and I never noticed. But, now... it's the entire 2014 year.

I came up on the audit... that's how they caught the error. Is there ANYTHING I can do? I never knew it wasn't being taken out of my check (direct deposit). Or, am I just SOL and going to have to pony up the dough (probably out of my federal return).

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2015, 08:36 AM
RE: Got screwed - Need Tax (US) Help
The best you can hope for is that the State ONLY requires you to pay back taxes and not penalties. If there are penalties I think you could argue for your company to reimburse you.

WARNING: I am not an accountant nor qualified to be giving any tax advice Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
04-02-2015, 11:03 AM
If they had you down as a TX resident, didn't they take out TX taxes? The reason I am asking was when I lived in NJ, there were many, many people who lived in PA and NY but worked in NJ. I remember talking with a friend about that and I seem to recall that he paid the taxes for one state only but they still took them out. It came down to how they filed them. If they didn't take out TX taxes, why not? I kind of think they should have and that money should be somewhere.

Edit: you're also just screwed because you are getting audited. Best of luck to you. I have heard that you are guilty until proven innocent in an audit.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
04-02-2015, 11:08 AM
(04-02-2015 11:03 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  If they had you down as a TX resident, didn't they take out TX taxes? The reason I am asking was when I lived in NJ, there were many, many people who lived in PA and NY but worked in NJ. I remember talking with a friend about that and I seem to recall that he paid the taxes for one state only but they still took them out. It came down to how they filed them. If they didn't take out TX taxes, why not? I kind of think they should have and that money should be somewhere.

Edit: you're also just screwed because you are getting audited. Best of luck to you. I have heard that you are guilty until proven innocent in an audit.

TX doesn't have State taxes.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
04-02-2015, 11:14 AM
(04-02-2015 11:08 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 11:03 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  If they had you down as a TX resident, didn't they take out TX taxes? The reason I am asking was when I lived in NJ, there were many, many people who lived in PA and NY but worked in NJ. I remember talking with a friend about that and I seem to recall that he paid the taxes for one state only but they still took them out. It came down to how they filed them. If they didn't take out TX taxes, why not? I kind of think they should have and that money should be somewhere.

TX doesn't have State taxes.

Ah. Did not know that. TY.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
04-02-2015, 11:18 AM
(04-02-2015 11:03 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Edit: you're also just screwed because you are getting audited. Best of luck to you. I have heard that you are guilty until proven innocent in an audit.

It was a company audit not a tax audit. So yeah, I'm okay in that regard.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-02-2015, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2015 05:19 PM by GirlyMan.)
Yeah, you're fucked. What kind of employer you work for who doesn't know at least your State of residence let alone your home address and phone number and emergency contact info?

(04-02-2015 08:36 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  The best you can hope for is that the State ONLY requires you to pay back taxes and not penalties. If there are penalties I think you could argue for your company to reimburse you.

WARNING: I am not an accountant nor qualified to be giving any tax advice Big Grin

Me neither, but I've paid a shitload of them. Don't think these are back taxes in the sense that they're for '14 and not earlier years so don't think there will be penalties. I don't know about LA State taxes but if you under withhold from your Federal taxes and wind up owing too much they make you file taxes quarterly. Talk about a RoyalPainInTheAss. Big Grin

#sigh
04-02-2015, 05:20 PM
I have no answer - wanna use my address?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
04-02-2015, 07:43 PM
You owe taxes?

You'd have a better chance of getting off 1st degree murder where they have a confession, video evidence, several highly regarded eye witnesses, a literal boat load of DNA evidence, a grad-student lawyer and an uncorruptible judge.

Government departments are cunts. Especially ACC and public funded health services. But tax departments are in an entirely cunty category of their own cuntiness.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
04-02-2015, 08:12 PM
(04-02-2015 07:43 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You owe taxes?

You'd have a better chance of getting off 1st degree murder where they have a confession, video evidence, several highly regarded eye witnesses, a literal boat load of DNA evidence, a grad-student lawyer and an uncorruptible judge.

Girly takes on the IRS. One of the proudest moments of my life. Still brings a tear to my eye.

#sigh