Gotta get my mind strait...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2013, 09:52 PM

Gotta get my mind strait...
I am going through a spiritual crisis at the moment. I've started to read stuff about Wicca and I'm caught between my skeptic side and my... nature side. Confused I keep telling myself that Im outta my mind reading about goddess and god stuff, but it's drawing me in like a tornado. I might leave the forum for a while... loose connections so I can think.

Im never going back to christianity, damn ass wipes, and every other religion I know seems bull @!#$ to me.

Could anyone give m some advice as how to proceed? Huh
Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2013, 09:58 PM
RE: Gotta get my mind strait...

Your chances of encountering all four as beliefs and practices are quite high in Wicca.

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!

By all means, any questions or concerns of something in the realm of Wicca that you want a skeptical analysis of, post them here. Yes

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2013, 10:02 PM

(13-04-2013 09:58 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  

Your chances of encountering all four as beliefs and practices are quite high in Wicca.

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!

By all means, any questions or concerns of something in the realm of Wicca that you want a skeptical analysis of, post them here. Yes

How the hell does this help me?
13-04-2013, 10:03 PM

Though i hav to admit that guys funny Smile
[+] 1 user Likes That Icelandic's post
13-04-2013, 10:11 PM
(13-04-2013 10:03 PM)That Icelandic Wrote:  Though i hav to admit that guys funny Smile

In my studying up on Wicca (and a lot of other pagan belief systems) I found that beliefs in astrology, psychic readings and homeopathy where also quite prevalent.

I'm in your reverse situation: reading books from authors such as Richard Dawkins and Charles Darwin are difficult. My mind actually still craves the old pagan/heathen books that are gathering dust in a cedar chest at my place. The real reason for me is because I'm so used to being spoon-fed literature that makes me feel like I'm thinking for myself, when really I'm not. Therein lies the trap. Thinking isn't always easy, but it's very easy to accept something as critical thinking when it's not.

[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
14-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Read science books about nature.

You got to get your mind right.

What is it that you find attractive or compelling about Wicca? Being one with the universe? Being cradled in the Goddess's arms?

Get over it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-04-2013, 08:42 AM
In response to the OP, via the last post.. Don't need Wicca for that. Just need Neil Tyson.
14-04-2013, 08:42 AM
(14-04-2013 08:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  Get over it.

Lol @ Chas Big Grin Returning to the tao of terseness.

Just ask yourself how these jokers know what they know. If they're wrong with all this stuff about the goddess etc, then it's a bit of a waste of time so the question becomes, how can you check ?

If they're anything like every other religion they'll have a kinda... bullshit procedure that you follow to check, something like "ask the goddess to help you and see what happens". Then the question is "how'dya know it's the goddess and not something else ?"

By all means go immerse yourself in this stuff, sometimes it's the only way to find out for yourself. If you've got a nice little niggle of doubt in your mind then after a short or long time you'll get tired of all the ritual and start asking yourself what it's useful for, or why the bloody goddess doesn't just act like a normal thinking entity and talk to her followers instead of requiring odd things like full moon rituals... and you'll grow more skeptical.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
14-04-2013, 08:35 PM

(14-04-2013 08:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  

Just ask yourself how these jokers know what they know. If they're wrong with all this stuff about the goddess etc, then it's a bit of a waste of time so the question becomes, how can you check ?

If they're anything like every other religion they'll have a kinda... bullshit procedure that you follow to check, something like "ask the goddess to help you and see what happens". Then the question is "how'dya know it's the goddess and not something else ?"

By all means go immerse yourself in this stuff, sometimes it's the only way to find out for yourself. If you've got a nice little niggle of doubt in your mind then after a short or long time you'll get tired of all the ritual and start asking yourself what it's useful for, or why the bloody goddess doesn't just act like a normal thinking entity and talk to her followers instead of requiring odd things like full moon rituals... and you'll grow more skeptical.

I like your thinking
14-04-2013, 08:39 PM
(14-04-2013 08:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  

That and comic books.

Thor... Like really really bad when that hit home...

Still love the mythology! Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post