Government cuts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Government cuts
I have a very limited understanding of economics so feel free to enlighten me here people, one of the reasons I frequent this forum is to expand my knowledge of the world.

I don't get why everyone is complaining about Government cuts in the UK. We have a huge deficit and so the logical approach would seem to be to spend less to allow us to pay it off. Yet no-one seems to understand this. It's like people can't equate the deficit to public spending (which they probably can't).

The way I see it is if I was in a large amount of debt I would spend less and pay my debts. I think most people can understand that. But when you apply the same logic on a larger scale people seem to lose their understanding.

Interestingly enough it seems to be the same people who complain about cuts who complain the loudest about the deficit and go on about how it should be reduced. This leads me to one conclusion, these people are cripplingly thick.

Any thoughts people?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2012, 10:40 PM
RE: Government cuts
Perhaps the folks complaining the most are the ones receiving the most benefits, so they hate to see their income disappear.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
29-02-2012, 07:45 PM
(28-02-2012 10:35 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I have a very limited understanding of economics so feel free to enlighten me here people, one of the reasons I frequent this forum is to expand my knowledge of the world.

I don't get why everyone is complaining about Government cuts in the UK. We have a huge deficit and so the logical approach would seem to be to spend less to allow us to pay it off. Yet no-one seems to understand this. It's like people can't equate the deficit to public spending (which they probably can't).

The way I see it is if I was in a large amount of debt I would spend less and pay my debts. I think most people can understand that. But when you apply the same logic on a larger scale people seem to lose their understanding.

Interestingly enough it seems to be the same people who complain about cuts who complain the loudest about the deficit and go on about how it should be reduced. This leads me to one conclusion, these people are cripplingly thick.

Any thoughts people?
Just about every non-3rd would country doing well has a huge deficit.

As far as your assessment, you are pretty spot on. In the US, the republicans are always crying about the deficit when they aren't in office. Yet when it comes time to start cutting/trimming programs to save money, they aren't even in the discussion or suggest something ridiculous that wouldnt even start to make a dent.

Then in the same breath they start exclaiming about lowering taxes....Wait a tick. We can't afford our current programs, yet you don't want to cut anything significant like defense, and you want to lower taxes thus lowering our net income? That makes perfect sense if you are clinically insane!

Why anyone would vote for these dipshits is beyond me....they are clearly only in office to make money for themselves and the corporations that own them.
01-03-2012, 09:12 AM
(29-02-2012 07:45 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(28-02-2012 10:35 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I have a very limited understanding of economics so feel free to enlighten me here people, one of the reasons I frequent this forum is to expand my knowledge of the world.

Any thoughts people?

As far as your assessment, you are pretty spot on. In the US, the republicans are always crying about the deficit when they aren't in office. Yet when it comes time to start cutting/trimming programs to save money, they aren't even in the discussion or suggest something ridiculous that wouldnt even start to make a dent.

Then in the same breath they start exclaiming about lowering taxes....Wait a tick. We can't afford our current programs, yet you don't want to cut anything significant like defense, and you want to lower taxes thus lowering our net income? That makes perfect sense if you are clinically insane!

Why anyone would vote for these dipshits is beyond me....they are clearly only in office to make money for themselves and the corporations that own them.

The biggest joke of that was after the Republicans took over the house in 2010 based on the platform of saving the economy and reforming policy to solve debt... Something like 8/10 of their initial bills proposed (not sure if passed) were conservative social concerns having nothing to do with economics.
01-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I have a friend who is in the UK and the cuts hit him in a real way. He is disabled and they cut him off. he can walk so off he went. It didn't matter that he has MS. He's a drain on the austerity of the UK. WTF!!! Now he has nothing coming in. they were kind enough to pay his housing. BUT no money to pay his bills or food. Torries SUCK! trust me the same thing would go on here if the far right have their way. Same thing with your beloved Ron Paul. I hate everything about them.
[+] 1 user Likes N.E.OhioAtheist's post
01-03-2012, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 12:16 PM by Peterkin.)
And that's it, right there. What people "don't get"; what they're complaining about.
Not just that taxes can't be raised to cover the deficit, but where and how the cutting is done.

Defunding one disabled guy is going to save the government a few thousand dollars. Defunding all the disabled will save a few million dollars. Whooo-peee!
At the same time, the same government can't even discuss the possibility of defunding a defense contract worth several million millions of dollars - for something that's designed and built to do nothing but explode! Instant, deadly garbage.

Making it impossible for the children of working people to get a post-secondary education will save another few million dollars. The same government can't even discuss the possibility of cutting patronage to the top ten financial organizations, which could save millions of millions of dollars.

With all social services cut, they won't begin to be able to cover a fraction of the interest on the deficit - but the big ticket items, however wasteful, are sacred.

The math? The logic? the outcome?

And, of course, you don't hear a lot about how the deficit was created in the first place. Who borrowed what when from whom and what did they use it for?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
01-03-2012, 03:54 PM
(01-03-2012 12:10 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  And, of course, you don't hear a lot about how the deficit was created in the first place. Who borrowed what when from whom and what did they use it for?

^^^ This ^^^ (I wish I could give you more rep peterkins :blushSmile

Also when I overspend and I get into arrears it is actually down to me to take responsibility of my actions.

I dont step on the most vunerablest of society to pay my way.

Wheres my bailout???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
01-03-2012, 03:58 PM
(29-02-2012 07:45 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  

Any thoughts people?

Let's not pretend that Democrats have any interest in lowering the deficit.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
01-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Just ask one question. And keep asking until somebody answers it - rather than talking about some other shite:

Who benefits?
(Who makes a profit on the deficit?)

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
01-03-2012, 04:22 PM
(01-03-2012 12:10 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  And that's it, right there. What people "don't get"; what they're complaining about.
Not just that taxes can't be raised to cover the deficit, but where and how the cutting is done.

Defunding one disabled guy is going to save the government a few thousand dollars. Defunding all the disabled will save a few million dollars. Whooo-peee!
At the same time, the same government can't even discuss the possibility of defunding a defense contract worth several million millions of dollars - for something that's designed and built to do nothing but explode! Instant, deadly garbage.

Making it impossible for the children of working people to get a post-secondary education will save another few million dollars. The same government can't even discuss the possibility of cutting patronage to the top ten financial organizations, which could save millions of millions of dollars.

With all social services cut, they won't begin to be able to cover a fraction of the interest on the deficit - but the big ticket items, however wasteful, are sacred.

The math? The logic? the outcome?

And, of course, you don't hear a lot about how the deficit was created in the first place. Who borrowed what when from whom and what did they use it for?

I'm not sure on the accuracy of this chart but from what I know it's pretty close.

[Image: us-2011-federal-budget-breakdown-copy.jpg]

As you can see, military spending is not our problem. We are extremely conservative, especially compared to other countries, in what we spend percentage wise on defense. Entitlement programs and welfare are the problem since they make up like 60% of our federal budget.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain