Grad School

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Grad School
I am going to graduate from college in May. My major is Business Finance. Personally speaking I want to go on and find a job after graduation so I can finally make some money. My on campus student job only gives me a few hundred dollars a month, and I am tired of being broke. Which is the main reason why I don't want to go to graduate school. Also I want to move on with my life and start taking care of myself. Sure the jobs are better with a graduate degree, but I don't want a high responsibility job anyway. I think I would be happier with what a college degree can get me. Anyway my parents are making me feel stressed out about my decision saying that, "You will end up flipping hamburgers." That seems like a stretch to me since I will have a four year degree. I understand the economy isn't too great but it is getting better. What type of degrees do you all have, and what do you think about my situation?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2010, 11:24 PM

RE: Grad School
First of all, congratulations!! Big Grin It must feel good to be finally done.

I am still working on my 4-year degree in Biology. I've been having the exact same problem, mainly because I'm so tired of being in school (this is my 5th year, I've changed majors) and just wanted to get my degree, and start working. But I've decided to get a graduate degree. I've talked to a lot of people, and not a single person with a graduate degree regrets it. I mean, you'll have to endure a few more years of school, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Keep in mind that every profession is different too. So you might be able to do a lot with a college degree than I would for example. Weigh all your options, and do whatever you feel is best. Good Luck Smile
Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Congrats on graduating. And, I hate to say this but your parents may very well be right.

Normally I'd say that going out and getting a job after college is not a bad idea at all. You get some experience, some money in your pocket, and an opportunity to really figure out what you want to do when you grow up. As lot of people go back to school after they have worked for a few years. And, at 22 or thereabouts there is no possible way you can have any real idea what opportunities there are for you or what really interests you because you've never done it or seen it. However, this is a really tough job market and you may end up working at the mall. I had lunch with a friend yesterday who was telling me how his nephew just graduated in may with a degree in Finance from Vanderbilt University and is now selling skis at a retail chain. And, it seems he was lucky to get that job.

Recessions will always come and go but with roughly 10% unemployment in the US and a lot of companies still not hiring, I'd probably opt for grad school right now. Maybe give it a year and both look for a job and apply to grad schools. If you don't have something good lines up when you have to make school decisions, then you go back to school.

Oh, in terms of degrees, I have a BS (also in Finance), JD and and MSc.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
23-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Thank you two for the congratulations. Congrats to you mBear for being close to graduating as well, and Biology is a tough major and it wll help you out greatly in the future. Also congrats to you too BnW for having a diploma as it is hard to get through college.

I understand what you all are getting at. Tough job market means that it wouldn't be such a bad idea to look into this as a possibility. I will check into grad school possibilities soon. A lot of people do seem to be struggling. I talked to the placement center a few weeks ago and they said that many people that graduated from my college last May are struggling with underemployment and unemployment still.

All in all I will take what you all said and apply to grad school this semester as well as look into jobs that may end up being available in the near future.
23-12-2010, 05:17 PM
(23-12-2010 03:16 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Also congrats to you too BnW for having a diploma as it is hard to get through college.

I don't have a "diploma", I have a Degree. Three of them, in fact, and two of them are advanced degrees. One of them I earned while I was married, a father of two young kids, and I had to commute back and forth to England to get it. A diploma is what you get when you graduate from high school and almost every numnut in the world gets one. A degree is what you go and earn by studying and working for it. I worked hard for my degrees and it does me a disservice when you deflate them by referring to them as "diplomas".

I'm not making this point to be an ass. I'm making this point to highlight that you need to change your mentality, and fast. You have a degree now and it was not given to you, it was earned. You worked for it (presumably) and you should require it afford you a certain minimum amount of respect for having it. Don't ever let yourself lose sight of that, because far too many people do.

As for your next move, the other thing to consider is that - and you won't believe this - your next decision can have significant impacts on what you do for the rest of your life. It can impact how much money you earn over the course of your career and what your opportunities are. Obviously there are exceptions to every rule but there are a lot of studies on from various Business Schools that show falling behind the curve early on can have long term impacts on your overall career. Are you the guy that beats the odds? Who knows. I certainly am not.

When I graduated law school in 1994 I took a position with a small firm and they immediately threw me to the wolves. I was in way over my head and in two months it was obvious to everyone they needed someone with more experience than I had (and I had zero) and they fired me. It was a very humbling experience.

Fortunately, I knew when I took the job that it was going to be a problem so I never stopped looking. It took me roughly a month to land another job. The second job I landed was a corporate counsel position with a large company and I was also barely qualified for it. The hired me at first on a contracting basis and gave me the opportunity to learn. The upside of it was that I did learn -- a lot. The downside of it is 16 years later I'm in an industry that I never set out to be in. It's not a bad industry (telecom and data networks) and it pays ok, but not great, but I never really chose to do what I am doing now. And, it never stops. I was promoted over the summer into a position that was a step up but at no point did anyone stop and ask me if it was something I really wanted. My employer feels they are doing something for me, but I almost look it as something that is being done to me. It's not that I don't like the role, it's just that taking on more for not much more money was not really high on my list of priorities.

Anyway, the point of this is: you're young and you're just starting out but you need to think about what you really want to do with your life. Most people I know took the job that offered the most money or the most glamor (in their eyes) and 10 or 20 years later they find themselves doing something that they just feel stuck in. There is always the odd person that finds a great niche or takes what they learn and starts their own business or something like that but most of us just move through the day at work. My job is ok, and there are a lot of positives to it, but there are of course some negatives too. The best part is it affords me a certain lifestyle, which includes the ability to work from home a lot so I can see my kids. In years past, I was on the road for 5 o 6 months of the year and was all over the world. It was great at the time but no way I'd do it today.

My advice is think about what you really want to do - not just as a career but what kind of life you want - and focus on what you can do to get there. Your job is part of that, but it's not all of that.

Sorry if this was long winded and convoluted. Hope it makes sense.

23-12-2010, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2010 07:41 PM by omega21.)
Sorry I meant degree. I meant congratulations in that you have a degree because college is hard to get through. I saw that you graduated from college in your writing and meant to congratulate you that you did a good job in making it through college and getting a degree. I simply misplaced words. Sorry about that.

I did work hard for my degree. We all did. I have done nothing but study, go to class, write papers, campus extraciricular activities, and etc....

I enjoyed reading what you wrote, and I will take your advice into consideration. You went through a lot as I can see. I cannot really say much since I haven't been in the real world yet as you have. Again I respect you and will take your advice and remember it when I make my decisions. Thank You
24-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Sure. No charge. Big Grin

Sorry if I came off as an ass because I honestly wasn't trying to.

24-12-2010, 09:01 AM
(24-12-2010 07:43 AM)BnW Wrote:  Sure. No charge. Big Grin

Sorry if I came off as an ass because I honestly wasn't trying to.

When you realize after the first paragraph that you are coming off as an "ass" as you call it, How about considering rephrasing what you say? Just a suggestion. What are your degrees anyways? Would be fun to know.
Merry x-mas!

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
24-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:When you realize after the first paragraph that you are coming off as an "ass" as you call it, How about considering rephrasing what you say?

I gotta be me.

In all seriousness, you write these things in a vacuum and you don't always know how they are going to be taken. Sometimes something meant in jest is taken as serious or something you say which you think is completely benign can set people off in a tizzy. When it comes to things like internet message boards, I really don't sweat the nuances because you have such a diverse group of people reading it you're always at risk to upset someone, so I don't even bother. When it comes to thinks like work emails, though, I'm extremely circumspect in what I write. I've seen simple emails turn into full scale escalations in the past because of how something was phrased. But, in an arena with no consequences, it seems like a lot of extra work.

Quote:What are your degrees anyways? Would be fun to know.

My undergraduate degree is a BS in Finance. I have a Juris Doctorate (which is a law degree for those not familiar with the US structure) and an MSc in telecommunications and business which I earned at a school in Europe.

I did the JD right after college (so 7 straight years of school and I absolutely know why someone would want to get out) and did the MSc in my mid-30s as part of an executive program my employer sent me back for. They all had their diverse pain points.

And you? Or anyone else? Agree it can be interesting to know what people study or studied as you can learn a bit about them.

24-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Didn't you guys know? BnW IS an ass! LOL. Seriously though, I could understand where you were coming from. It's hard to swallow when someone doesn't grasp a huge achievement, and I think it's fair and understandable to correct what you did. You worked hard and deserve the credit! I know that when someone see's what I do as "just labor" I defend what I've learned too. Even though our views on education may differ at times, I have alot of respect for what you and others do to earn (notice I use the word "earn" not "get") their education.

So many cats, so few good recipes.