Grad School

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2010, 12:53 PM
RE: Grad School
Thank you for that.

And. to further illustrate my point on the internet and reading comprehension, I really was not trying to beat my chest about my own accomplishments. I was only trying to make sure our young friend and new graduate knew the importance of taking pride in his.

As for the educations discussion we were having, I'd very much like to continue it because I thought it was interesting. Please don't take offense at this, but I completely disagree with your view on it. That doesn't mean I'm right, obviously, which is why I'm interested to read more of you take on it. So, please, elaborate.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2010, 04:29 PM
I was still planning to start a new thread on it. Just might have to wait til after christmas. We're having it at our house this year, so getting ready has been crazy. I'm an obsessive cook, so prep for lunch, hot apps all afternoon, and a huge dinner is taking 99% of my mental capacity! (I do love it though!!)

Woo hoo. Atheist christmas at my house!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
30-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Congrats on graduating! I know it takes a ton of dedication and effort ^.^

I'm thinking about what I want to do after I graduate as well. I'm currently in my 3rd year of a BA with an honour's degree in English, and I am definitely planning on going on to get my MA and PhD after I finish. My plan so far is to get a job for a year after I graduate and save for grad school. However, I also have the grades to apply for and get grants, so I only need a year off to save. Remember though, that depending on what grad school you are looking at, you can get scholarships or grants for all sorts of things. Also, if your parents want you to go to grad school so bad, but you can't afford it, then maybe talk to them about loaning you some money for it, which you can then pay them back after you graduate and are settled into a job that you like. Just make sure to explore all of your options before making any long-term decisions.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
01-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks Secular Student I am looking forward to May. It looks like you are doing good yourself. Thanks for the advice too. More than likely what I am probably going to end up doing is study and prepare for Grad school, and look for jobs as well. Then just see how things play out. If I cannot get a satisfying job then I will go to grad school. My parents said they would pay my way, lol I am spoiled sometimes. These next few months will be extremely busy for me. I have to go somewhere after all. Either a job or further studying.
03-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Don't knock yourself for being spoiled and having someone to pay for grad school. I hope to be able to do the same for my kids. Starting you life off with a massive debt load can be a big problem. I've a good friend who is 40 and financed his college, his MBA and his law degree all by himself with loans. He will be paying them off until he's 50 or so. It's a huge burden and if you don't have to have it, you're far better off.

Good luck to you.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
03-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Yeah that is a tough burden to have to deal with when it comes to having to pay off debt, and I am thankful that I don't have to worry about that.

Thanks, and I wish you and your kids the best of luck as well.
04-01-2011, 07:42 AM

Well I would say this certainly look into grad schools at worst you can enroll a quarter/semester/year late. However in your job interviews be honest with them about the choice your facing, and ask their opinion. Depending on the interviewer, I always loved when the interviewee engaged me in conversation. Maybe he/she was in a similar position? Many jobs will allow you to go to school while working. Are you seeking an MBA? I chose to go to grad school, but I loved school and was not tired of it, and being a Chemistry major I got paid a reasonable amount to be a TA, and then RA. So its not apples to apples.
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Yeah if I go to grad school then I will be trying for an MBA. That is a possible solution though to work while going to school. There are some people that have done that. I will try to engage in conversation if the person seems more laid back, but I am fairly nervous when it comes to being interviewed. Thanks for the advice. Congrats on making it through college and grad school by the way.
06-01-2011, 03:24 PM

(06-01-2011 03:21 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Yeah if I go to grad school then I will be trying for an MBA. That is a possible solution though to work while going to school. There are some people that have done that. I will try to engage in conversation if the person seems more laid back, but I am fairly nervous when it comes to being interviewed. Thanks for the advice. Congrats on making it through college and grad school by the way.

FYI I know several people who have gotten their MBA while working. Their are MANY good night programs, and of course flex time is common these days.
Quote this message in a reply