Grade inflation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2015, 12:32 PM
Grade inflation
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2015/...ence-test/

Partial credit??? Really??? I have not graded any tests that look quite this pathetic, but I would not be afraid to give this exam 0 points on the answers I see on this page.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2015, 12:34 PM
RE: Grade inflation
That is not necessarily grade inflation, this may partially be a test or quiz for assessing attendance or participation. And since the student was there, the scoring system may have some element of attendance factored into the grade.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
14-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Grade inflation is another problem altogether where an A should really be a B and a B should really be a C, because students don't know that an A means above and beyond on the assignment and a B means they did precisely what they were asked competently.

-Rick
14-04-2015, 12:37 PM
It also looks like a worksheet to accompany a viewing of the new Cosmos. So the fact that the student was there warranted some sort of participation grade.

-Rick
14-04-2015, 01:11 PM
(14-04-2015 12:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Grade inflation is another problem altogether where an A should really be a B and a B should really be a C, because students don't know that an A means above and beyond on the assignment and a B means they did precisely what they were asked competently.

Based on what? There isn't some universally set standard upon what those grades mean nor has there really ever been. In other circles people evaluate C as doing just exactly what was asked competently and layers above and below are the according grades.

It's not even a student that was in the class this was taken of, so the teacher may of been aware of the attempted humor applied by said kid.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-04-2015, 01:23 PM
(14-04-2015 01:11 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 12:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Grade inflation is another problem altogether where an A should really be a B and a B should really be a C, because students don't know that an A means above and beyond on the assignment and a B means they did precisely what they were asked competently.

Based on what? There isn't some universally set standard upon what those grades mean nor has there really ever been. In other circles people evaluate C as doing just exactly what was asked competently and layers above and below are the according grades.

It's not even a student that was in the class this was taken of, so the teacher may of been aware of the attempted humor applied by said kid.

I didn't say it was universal. I'd say a C is average, which means not everything is correct but it is completed. A B is that everything is correct and done as asked, but no more effort than that was given.

-Rick
15-04-2015, 07:41 AM
OK, the format could be different than what I had envisioned. I now remember in high school we watched stuff and were asked questions on it, so yes, I get the participation thing. That has a slippery slope though. I can just hear it "I showed up for the exam, I deserve partial credit", or "I studied, I deserve partial credit". When grades are given based on anything other than performance, you are guaranteed grade inflation.
15-04-2015, 07:46 AM
(15-04-2015 07:41 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  OK, the format could be different than what I had envisioned. I now remember in high school we watched stuff and were asked questions on it, so yes, I get the participation thing. That has a slippery slope though. I can just hear it "I showed up for the exam, I deserve partial credit", or "I studied, I deserve partial credit". When grades are given based on anything other than performance, you are guaranteed grade inflation.

Yep, that is exactly what students do. They do it to me nearly every week. The slippery slope is a full on slip and slide, you just have to stand up to the students and tell them "no" as you steal their candy and make them cry.

-Rick
15-04-2015, 09:41 AM
(15-04-2015 07:46 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 07:41 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  OK, the format could be different than what I had envisioned. I now remember in high school we watched stuff and were asked questions on it, so yes, I get the participation thing. That has a slippery slope though. I can just hear it "I showed up for the exam, I deserve partial credit", or "I studied, I deserve partial credit". When grades are given based on anything other than performance, you are guaranteed grade inflation.

Yep, that is exactly what students do. They do it to me nearly every week. The slippery slope is a full on slip and slide, you just have to stand up to the students and tell them "no" as you steal their candy and make them cry.

I am also well familiar with the phenomenon which is why I have issues with the original post.
15-04-2015, 10:28 AM
(15-04-2015 09:41 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 07:46 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Yep, that is exactly what students do. They do it to me nearly every week. The slippery slope is a full on slip and slide, you just have to stand up to the students and tell them "no" as you steal their candy and make them cry.

I am also well familiar with the phenomenon which is why I have issues with the original post.

Except the example in the OP isn't really grade inflation. It is ignorance on a massive scale for that individual.

-Rick