Graduation Ceremonies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Graduation Ceremonies
So as I sit thru another graduation ceremony I am wondering how you all feel about everything they say and do that has to do with god.

Do u get silent during that part of the pledge?

Do u still bow your head during prayer?

Does it anger you that they push religion on our kids in public school?

Wisdom from my eldest "Life's short... Get stoned!"
[Image: tumblr_m988n0gSY21r984nlo1_500.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2013, 06:42 PM
RE: Graduation Ceremonies
(26-05-2013 06:35 PM)AlaskaMom Wrote:  So as I sit thru another graduation ceremony I am wondering how you all feel about everything they say and do that has to do with god.

Do u get silent during that part of the pledge?

Do u still bow your head during prayer?

Does it anger you that they push religion on our kids in public school?

They don't here in Liberal Satania (aka Maryland) least not at the ones I have been to. The pledge is still said but no prayer. As for that I stopped reciting that sometime around 6th grade. Just stood silently, no one ever made a deal out of it (big or otherwise) the only time I was even asked by a teacher I said it was my right not to swear to a god I didn't believe in and they agreed.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
26-05-2013, 06:55 PM
I was so excited when my kids graduated..and so pissed to be expected to participate in an opening prayer and sit through endless speeches thanking God.

It was public school damnit...I feel ya on that one.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
26-05-2013, 07:04 PM
I don't recall any mention of God at MY graduation ceremony Consider

The thought of even having a public prayer at at school, even if it's not at the school, gives me the heebie jeebies!

NO.

No prayer in connection to public school. NONE Angry Had someone prayed during my graduation, (I was in the front row on the stage, sitting and waiting as a speech-giver.) I would have been visibly uncomfortable. I can't say for certain that I would have actually done or said anything, though; I'm a bit passive.

Is this a college graduation? (I don't think that it should make a difference, even though the graduates are adults.) And what is this "pledge" you are talking about?

OH! To answer your question, I don't bow my head in prayer in general. I'm quiet, because I'm polite and I treat others as I want to be treated, but I see no point in bowing my head when I know that if I came up with some "atheist prayer," none of the religious would bow their own heads.

Why was anyone allowed to pray during the graduation you were referencing? I'm concerned.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King