Graduation Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2014, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2014 10:32 AM by Anjele.)
Graduation Day
Well, many many years since my high school graduation I now officially have an AA in Criminal Justice.

I look back and think about how I was supposed to go off to the University of Northern Iowa in August of 1975 to study to become a special ed teacher, or speech therapy...depended on how things went and where college took me. In June of that year...for my 18th birthday, my parents pulled that rug out from under me. Too many gory details to share but I was beaten bloody, hair pulled from my head, skin scraped off my back, and cracked cheekbones. My next move was to live in my car for three months...things went off the rails in a big way.

Here I am in 2014 having completed a two-year degree. Attending part time and dealing with breast cancer in the early days of my time at school. Hard work and stubbornness to get here.

It's graduation day and I will spend it at home...again bloody and swollen and miserable. It's bittersweet at best. A bit of the shine tarnished off a lifelong goal.

But, I did it...

My degree should arrive the end of June, around my birthday, by my estimation. I hope to have a bit of a celebration and look forward to finding a nice frame for the diploma and my tassel. I know I will graduate cum laude...if I had not been so sick this last month I may have pulled off magna cum laude.

Maybe after a bit of a break I will go back to work on a BA. I can't even think about it right now...for some reason the universe wants to kick my ass every time I attempt school...back in the day, I went to school to be a medical assistant...that endeavor included a bout with mono and my husband's death. I did manage to graduate with honors from that program too...but bloody hell! Makes me a little afraid to continue for a higher degree.

So here's to me...graduation day 2014.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like Anjele's post
16-05-2014, 08:08 AM
RE: Graduation Day
Congratulations!!!!

You're a fighter and you did it!

I hope the rewards are sweet....

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Well done Anj! Well done!

I applaud you for sticking to school when life is throwing obstacles at you. I applaud you for returning to it years later after leaving that path.

You give me inspiration to return to school.

Heart

ps. have a BIG celebration, seems like its time to celebrate more than just finishing school.

Hug

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
16-05-2014, 08:49 AM
Spend some time recovering and once that diploma arrives, flaunt it like crazy! Do something spectacular to make yourself feel how amazing you are! Be proud, you are an achiever!

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
16-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Worship Slaves
That's awesome!
Yes

Insulting me will convert me real fast!
MSBB:
Don't let anyone define who you are.
Me:
Can we define him as he defines himself? Or will he define himself as we define how he defines himself? But, if we do that, will we define him as he defines himself based on our definition of how we see him define himself?
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
16-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Way cool Anj , congratulations !! Thumbsup

I'll buy the beer.... whens the party ? Cool

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
16-05-2014, 09:03 AM
(16-05-2014 08:05 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Well, many many years since my high school graduation I now officially have an AA in Criminal Justice.

What a coincidence. Smile I was just a criminal in AA. Tongue

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Congratulations, Anj. You fought the good fight. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-05-2014, 09:14 AM
I tip my hat! Well earned! Smile x

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
16-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Got my grades, I graduate cum laude...missed magna cum laude by a small fraction of a point...sigh...I will blame my dental issues over the last month.

In other news...I don't feel like I am on the edge of death any more. Not that I am enjoying a diet of yogurt, scrambled eggs, and pudding. But at least I am not looking for the nearest bridge to leap off. Still have a swollen face but it's getting better.

Now what will I do to keep myself off the streets?

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF