Grammar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Grammar
Alrighty!

I am opening this can of worms.

What are your thoughts on grammar? Is proper grammar necessary? How much does or doesn't it bother you when words are spelled (or is it spelt? Wink ) incorrectly?

How about abbreviations or 'texting' grammar (Example, R U OK)? How much slack do you give a stranger vs. someone you know? When do you correct someone and when do you leave it be? Do you correct people on the web or text, or in person when speaking?

What are your biggest pet peeves?

How much weight do you give grammar on intelligence, do you think they are correlated? Does grammar intimidate you? Have you personally struggled with it or has it come easily to you?

And lastly, is there something I've written you are dying to correct? Tongue

Thoughts?

I'm holding off on mine because I didn't want to influence the OP topic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2012, 12:46 AM
RE: Grammar
I type on my iPad, so I tend not to worry about grammar much. I also use a lot of Commas. and I type fast. Sorry if I misspell words.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
22-06-2012, 12:53 AM
It doesn't bother me *too* much. If a guy can't spell for shit then I get a bit bothered. Language is an evolving thing, and even 'proper' spelling is just convention, and a somewhat daft one at that IMO. I mean, the original idea of alphabet was pretty straightforward - make squiggles which correspond to sounds - instant recording of words. It's *very* clever. And for a long time spelling wasn't standardized. Standardization has benefits - it means that peculiarities of accent don't get translated into peculiarities of spelling... but I still get a bit irritated with things like... 'though' - I mean... a *silent* 'gh'. WTF? Of course, Brit spelling has plenty such constructions, which I do find rather delightful in their own way.

Grammar I'm not so clear on. 'You and I are friends' sounds OK, 'You and me are enemies' sounds OK too. I like to think I can spot the glaring errors, but for example the 'you and me' thing. That's common usage. The rules should be updated.
22-06-2012, 01:02 AM
As I went to an all girl private school whilst I was learning to read and write I do have to stop myself from correcting people (or being annoyed) in regards to grammar especially since texting etc... has been around. It was very much drummed into us as students and, as such, can be an automatic but containable peeve. I try not to let it bother me 'cos it's a stupid peeve! (and abbreviations can save time)

By the way, LJ it's 'spelt' lol Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
22-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Poor grammar its great. It allows you to defeat someone's argument without addressing its content! Smile

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
22-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Depends. When I see someone making a horribly stupid argument and their grammar and spelling is horrendous... well... it makes me cringe.

But an error here and there? One or two perhaps? Eh, not so much.

Things that do annoy me:

- Their, there, they're. UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE.
- It, it's, its. Seriously.
- Witch, which.
- Where, were, we're.

Large and wonderfully formatted articles that get lazy towards the end drive me nuts. For instance, someone who has 2 pages of stuff and near the end have, "U R SO THIS AND THAT." instead of using the actual words. Works great on cell phones, but if it's an article and you expect me to actually bother reading it, please, use full words.

/rant.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
22-06-2012, 01:30 AM
I read quite a bit. So when I get a text like this. "Hai how r u 2day b/c I need 2 talk 2 u"

I have to slow down, read every letter, and it generally hurts my eyes. So when I got those texts I just refuse to reply.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
22-06-2012, 01:37 AM
(22-06-2012 01:30 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  I read quite a bit. So when I get a text like this. "Hai how r u 2day b/c I need 2 talk 2 u"

I have to slow down, read every letter, and it generally hurts my eyes. So when I got those texts I just refuse to reply.
DAT SO KEWL, so how r u 2dai, snds so gewd!
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
22-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Poor grammar only bothers me if the person using it calls other people dumb, uneducated, etc.

Other than that, I despise it when the "texting grammar" is being used outside of SMS.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
22-06-2012, 02:03 AM
(22-06-2012 01:37 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(22-06-2012 01:30 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  I read quite a bit. So when I get a text like this. "Hai how r u 2day b/c I need 2 talk 2 u"

DAT SO KEWL, so how r u 2dai, snds so gewd!
NOOOOOOO My eyes! Thumbsup Hahaha.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fix Your Grammar with Glove & Boots EvolutionKills 12 199 15-05-2014 10:53 AM
Last Post: WitchSabrina
  Grammatically Speaking: for all my grammar nazi's LostandInsecure 116 1,793 11-01-2014 03:18 PM
Last Post: War Horse