Grammar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2015, 10:35 AM
RE: Grammar
(01-08-2015 10:16 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...
My English teacher husband

So that's the husband of your teacher of English or your own husband or teacher from England or your ... sorry.

Blush

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2015, 10:52 AM

[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
01-08-2015, 11:02 AM
(01-08-2015 10:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 10:16 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  ...
My English teacher husband

So that's the husband of your teacher of English or your own husband or teacher from England or your ... sorry.

Blush

Hahaha. Oh, fuck you.....and your little dog too.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 6 users Like dancefortwo's post
01-08-2015, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2015 07:13 PM by Hafnof.)
Theiy're theiy're. Took it easy.

Literal grammar nazi: https://twitter.com/matthewchampion/stat...80/photo/1

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
01-08-2015, 07:55 PM
(01-08-2015 07:09 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Theiy're theiy're. Took it easy.

You know, the English language really is crazy though. I cry a tear and tear my hair out from the confusion. Hobo

01-08-2015, 08:51 PM
(01-08-2015 07:55 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 07:09 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Theiy're theiy're. Took it easy.

You know, the English language really is crazy though. I cry a tear and tear my hair out from the confusion. Hobo

The thing is - and most of the people with education regarding it, tend to ignore --- is that all languages are fluid. They change, as do the people who use them.

Take any language - and you'll find it's use is generational. That is - it will change in it's use with each generation that uses it.

"Bad Grammar" simply means that the speaker who is using it "incorrectly" isn't of the same generation as the person who is doing the critique.

Inevitably -- you'll find some young person speaking in a manner that you find less than "proper".

But - being that the purpose of communication is the transfer of ideas - it might be YOU, who isn't doing your part. The young guy might be brilliant, and in their own way eloquent. You just didn't do your part and evolve.

Or, I could be simply full of shit.

Time will tell...

Hobo

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-08-2015, 09:09 PM
(01-08-2015 08:51 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 07:55 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  You know, the English language really is crazy though. I cry a tear and tear my hair out from the confusion. Hobo

The thing is - and most of the people with education regarding it, tend to ignore --- is that all languages are fluid. They change, as do the people who use them.

Take any language - and you'll find it's use is generational. That is - it will change in it's use with each generation that uses it.

"Bad Grammar" simply means that the speaker who is using it "incorrectly" isn't of the same generation as the person who is doing the critique.

Inevitably -- you'll find some young person speaking in a manner that you find less than "proper".

But - being that the purpose of communication is the transfer of ideas - it might be YOU, who isn't doing your part. The young guy might be brilliant, and in their own way eloquent. You just didn't do your part and evolve.

Or, I could be simply full of shit.

Time will tell...

Hobo

The English language is ever evolving. It gives it life.

My understanding is that the French have given it their all to try to keep the French language pure. It hasn't worked. American words have infected the snobby French. Well, ain't that just too damned bad, Monsewer Pierre.....get over it.

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
01-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Not knowing the difference between its and it's will always be wrong, OB.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
01-08-2015, 09:43 PM
(01-08-2015 09:11 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Not knowing the difference between its and it's will always be wrong, OB.

hoc taught me my its and it'ses. Smartass

At least I *learnt* something here.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
02-08-2015, 12:40 AM
(01-08-2015 09:09 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My understanding is that the French have given it their all to try to keep the French language pure. It hasn't worked. American words have infected the snobby French. Well, ain't that just too damned bad, Monsewer Pierre.....get over it.

I'm always surprised how many English words have made it into Chinese and Japanese. You get these sound-alike versions of various words transliterated into each language with no real native version of surprisingly common words.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.