Grammar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2015, 07:05 PM
RE: Grammar
(02-08-2015 12:40 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  ...
I'm always surprised how many English words have made it into Chinese and Japanese. You get these sound-alike versions of various words transliterated into each language with no real native version of surprisingly common words.

A linguistic acquaintance was explaining once that researchers have tried to predict how the language will evolve over the next century. They called their prediction 'Panglish'.

Then they looked around the planet to find any current dialect that was already close to this ... Singlish!

Ok lah.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
02-08-2015, 11:25 PM
(02-08-2015 12:40 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 09:09 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My understanding is that the French have given it their all to try to keep the French language pure. It hasn't worked. American words have infected the snobby French. Well, ain't that just too damned bad, Monsewer Pierre.....get over it.

I'm always surprised how many English words have made it into Chinese and Japanese. You get these sound-alike versions of various words transliterated into each language with no real native version of surprisingly common words.

In Guns, Germs and Steel, Jared Diamond mentions the coolest linguistic technique ever - by comparing shared words between languages you can trace when technologies and e.g. agriculture were introduced to various cultures, 'cos say you're trading with the Arabs and the Arabs have come up with a new method for frying infidels that is both tasty and economic, and you ask them what it's called, then *their* word enters *your* lexicon. It's lekker.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-08-2015, 10:02 AM
(02-08-2015 07:05 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 12:40 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  ...

A linguistic acquaintance was explaining once that researchers have tried to predict how the language will evolve over the next century. They called their prediction 'Panglish'.

Then they looked around the planet to find any current dialect that was already close to this ... Singlish!

Ok lah.

In Jakarta, we also have 'Ok deh' Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes ynahd's post
03-08-2015, 10:30 AM
(03-08-2015 10:02 AM)ynahd Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 07:05 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Ok lah.

In Jakarta, we also have 'Ok deh' Tongue

And the Aussies have g'deh (mate).

03-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Are grammar Nazi's people that need rules and get upset when people break rules?
Perfectionists perhaps?

The main thing is that the message is understandable. Whether it exactly adheres to rules is by the by.
03-08-2015, 02:40 PM
(03-08-2015 01:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  The main thing is that the message is understandable.

I beg to differ. Some people care about style. It's about finesse. Form. I don't particularly hold it against a person however they get their point across, but at the same time I recognise and respect those who take the extra effort to craft a sentence well. It's the difference between a blunt instrument and a katana as a murder weapon. Both get the job done, but one is more elegant than the other.

ETA: Plus for some, their style just makes me twitch.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-08-2015, 03:01 PM
(03-08-2015 02:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  I beg to differ. Some people care about style. It's about finesse. Form. I don't particularly hold it against a person however they get their point across, but at the same time I recognise and respect those who take the extra effort to craft a sentence well. It's the difference between a blunt instrument and a katana as a murder weapon. Both get the job done, but one is more elegant than the other.

You get in danger of being snobbish or elitist and just plain pedantic.
Not everyone speaks English as a first language, not everyone gets a higher education, not everyone majors in English or is fascinated by English and English grammar and not everyone is hung up on following rules.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
03-08-2015, 03:02 PM
(03-08-2015 03:01 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 02:40 PM)morondog Wrote:  I beg to differ. Some people care about style. It's about finesse. Form. I don't particularly hold it against a person however they get their point across, but at the same time I recognise and respect those who take the extra effort to craft a sentence well. It's the difference between a blunt instrument and a katana as a murder weapon. Both get the job done, but one is more elegant than the other.

You get in danger of being snobbish or elitist and just plain pedantic.
Not everyone speaks English as a first language, not everyone gets a higher education, not everyone majors in English or is fascinated by English and English grammar and not everyone is hung up on following rules.

You're in danger of being a tit. Fuck you Smile I appreciate good form is all I say, you say that if I don't say that good form is *as good* as bad form then I'm elitist. I say you're dense.

03-08-2015, 03:09 PM
(03-08-2015 03:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  You're in danger of being a tit. Fuck you Smile I appreciate good form is all I say, you say that if I don't say that good form is *as good* as bad form then I'm elitist. I say you're dense.
What?, you're now making personal attacks on me, where does this come from?

I didn't say you are being elitist I meant a person who insists upon correct grammar from others is in danger of appearing elitist.

Anyways, whatever floats your boat!
03-08-2015, 03:46 PM
(03-08-2015 03:09 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 03:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  You're in danger of being a tit. Fuck you Smile I appreciate good form is all I say, you say that if I don't say that good form is *as good* as bad form then I'm elitist. I say you're dense.
What?, you're now making personal attacks on me, where does this come from?

I didn't say you are being elitist I meant a person who insists upon correct grammar from others is in danger of appearing elitist.

Anyways, whatever floats your boat!

Ah, I see that I saw red a little prematurely, for being an idiot I do apologise. I will not apologise for the attack however Smile Personal attacks are quite fun and it's interesting to see how people react to them.