Grammar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2015, 06:00 PM
RE: Grammar
(03-08-2015 01:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Are grammar Nazi's people that need rules and get upset when people break rules?
Perfectionists perhaps?

The main thing is that the message is understandable. Whether it exactly adheres to rules is by the by.

Some may be. And some know the rules and believe they improve communication.

Besides, Grammar Nazi-ing is a sport. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Honestly, it just depends on the situation. Most of my posts on this forum are casual, hence my posting style is conversational English. I wouldn't dare write an essay that utilized "And" as the first word of a sentence. Or end a sentence in "to." Or leave out a subject... The only difference between my speech patterns and what I post is that I don't actually use the word "ain't" all that often (mostly when I'm being sassy) - I just like how fast it is to type.

I still mess up its and it's on occasion - sometimes it's because of autocorrect (I'm on my cell - to fix autocorrected words is such a pain in the ass), sometimes its because I'm careless (see what I did there). Could also be because I've already forgotten which is which after Willhopp's refresher course a few months ago... Tongue

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
03-08-2015, 07:04 PM
It's always means it is. That's it. Every other time use its. Smile Thanks Nurse!

I only correct grammar when it's funny, helpful or requested. For instance, Mark's chapter was released to us with a request for what we thought. Given that he published it in America and I'm an American editor since 1990, I felt it was important to tell him "an historic" was incorrect. But I was being helpful there, nothing else.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 4 users Like WillHopp's post
03-08-2015, 07:12 PM
(03-08-2015 03:01 PM)Stevil Wrote:  ...
You get in danger of being snobbish or elitist and just plain pedantic.

You say this like these are bad things Undecided

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-08-2015, 07:13 PM
(03-08-2015 07:04 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Given that he published it in America and I'm an American editor since 1990, I felt it was important to tell him "an historic" was incorrect. But I was being helpful there, nothing else.
Yes, formal document as opposed to being conversational chit chat in a forum.
03-08-2015, 07:25 PM
(03-08-2015 07:13 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 07:04 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Given that he published it in America and I'm an American editor since 1990, I felt it was important to tell him "an historic" was incorrect. But I was being helpful there, nothing else.
Yes, formal document as opposed to being conversational chit chat in a forum.

Right, I only swing my big dic-tionary in conversational chit chat when it's funny or if you're being an asshole.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
03-08-2015, 08:28 PM
(03-08-2015 07:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 03:01 PM)Stevil Wrote:  ...
You get in danger of being snobbish or elitist and just plain pedantic.

You say this like these are bad things Undecided
I never said it was bad, could be annoying though. If you are gonna define something as bad then we need a goal to assess that against don't we? Bad being something that detracts from the goal.

Hmmm, asking me if something is bad is just as annoying as correcting my grammar.

You're a bad boy DLJ, Bad, bad, bad!!!!
03-08-2015, 08:34 PM
(03-08-2015 08:28 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 07:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  You say this like these are bad things Undecided
I never said it was bad, could be annoying though. If you are gonna define something as bad then we need a goal to assess that against don't we? Bad being something that detracts from the goal.

Hmmm, asking me if something is bad is just as annoying as correcting my grammar.

Touché

Bowing

04-08-2015, 01:36 AM
(03-08-2015 08:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 08:28 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I never said it was bad, could be annoying though. If you are gonna define something as bad then we need a goal to assess that against don't we? Bad being something that detracts from the goal.

Touché

Bowing

Where?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-08-2015, 03:10 AM
(04-08-2015 01:36 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 08:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Touché

Bowing

Where?

That's what he said. Tongue

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post