Grammar Nazi!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Grammar Nazi!
Don't lie. You know you do it. Not all the time, but there are some grammatical things that get under your skin like a tick. Here are a few of mine:

1) Subjective / Objective case confusion - I would rather hear someone say "me and him" instead of "him and I". It's like people have indescribable hate for the word "me" or they do not know when to use the subjective form (he). This confusion drives me nuts. It's not really a difficult concept; however, it seems to throw people for a loop.

2) Affect / Effect - verb and noun. It's just that simple. Unless, you're talking about the mind, but you know what... I would be okay with someone using it wrong there.

3) Not capitalizing proper nouns because of personal beliefs - Christians not capitalizing "Satan" and nonbelievers not capitalizing "God" and "Bible". It's what they're called. It's their name. Capitalize it. This is taught in elementary. ex - That's my dad. I don't know, let me go ask Dad.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2011, 09:03 AM
RE: Grammar Nazi!
Oh I thought this was a grammar Nazi bashing thread. Oh well, I'm out.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
07-12-2011, 09:03 AM
(07-12-2011 09:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  2) Affect / Effect - verb and noun. It's just that simple. Unless, you're talking about the mind, but you know what... I would be okay with someone using it wrong there.

No, it's not that simple. I would like to effect a change to your affect. How would that affect this effect?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-12-2011, 09:08 AM
(07-12-2011 09:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-12-2011 09:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  2) Affect / Effect - verb and noun. It's just that simple. Unless, you're talking about the mind, but you know what... I would be okay with someone using it wrong there.

No, it's not that simple. I would like to effect a change to your affect.

I'm not sure of the rules on this one. But I always use them correctly.

The effect of the alcohol is intense.
Alcohol affects my ability to drive.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-12-2011, 09:12 AM
(07-12-2011 09:08 AM)germanyt Wrote:  

No, it's not that simple. I would like to effect a change to your affect.

I'm not sure of the rules on this one. But I always use them correctly.

The effect of the alcohol is intense.

Alcohol effects a change in driving ability.
Your affect changes after imbibing alcohol.

07-12-2011, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2011 09:17 AM by kingschosen.)

No, it's not that simple. I would like to effect a change to your affect. How would that affect this effect?

Screwing those up are okay, like I said. Those don't bother me because the rules can be so difficult to remember.
When something is created it is "effect".
When you're talking about something psychological it is "affect".
In anything else, the verb is "affect" and the noun is "effect".

07-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Quote:It's what they're called. It's their name.
Subject/verb disagreement is annoying - it's discordant. Those sentences should read:
Those are what they're called. Those are their names.

Don't you just hate the Nazier-than-thou people?

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-12-2011, 09:21 AM
(07-12-2011 09:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  
Quote:It's what they're called. It's their name.
Subject/verb disagreement is annoying - it's discordant. Those sentences should read:
Those are what they're called. Those are their names.

Don't you just hate the Nazier-than-thou people?

HEIL!

07-12-2011, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2011 09:27 AM by morondog.)
(07-12-2011 09:08 AM)germanyt Wrote:  The effect of the alcohol is intense.

Alcohol effectively affects one's affections. The effect of the amiable affect of the affected actress effected a change in the archbishop's affection stick.
(07-12-2011 09:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  

Alcohol effectively affects one's affections. The effect of the amiable affect of the affected actress effected a change in the archbishop's affection stick.

Somewhat artificial... somewhat...
07-12-2011, 09:27 AM
(07-12-2011 09:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition! The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. [laughs] Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me "V".

Ha! I hit Ctrl 'V' to paste.

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post