Grammar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2012, 07:26 AM
RE: Grammar
(22-06-2012 06:50 AM)bemore Wrote:  Maybe your hatred is a reflection of how stuck in your ways you have become ........ me......... I like to adapt and evolve and move with the world around me.

Like, you know, Katy Perry?

OMG!

What I find ironic here is LJ necroposting from the pet peeve thread where she's going on about a "torcher chamber." Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
22-06-2012, 07:35 AM
(22-06-2012 07:06 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  [Image: cavemen.png]
http://www.explosm.net/comics/2830/
I am deeply offended by this joke and think it is a bad reflection on the TTA forum............

(check out the joke thread to see what im on about)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
22-06-2012, 07:37 AM
(22-06-2012 07:26 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Like, you know, Katy Perry?

OMG!
Im down with the times broski....... I love to kiss girls Tongue

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
22-06-2012, 07:41 AM
I don't speak license plate.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
22-06-2012, 07:47 AM
(22-06-2012 07:41 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I don't speak license plate.
Was that supposed to be a zinger? A zowie-wowie? 'Cause you're such a people person, I ain't buying it. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-06-2012, 08:05 AM
It depends on the situation. If I'm writing a paper or speaking with a professor, I usually try to have good grammar. On the contrary, if I'm speaking with friends and family, I dispense with the formalities. I took a linguistics class a few years ago that opened my eyes to the transmutability of written and, especially, spoken language. What is considered good grammar today is different from what it was at the turn of the last century. For those who don't know, there are two kinds of grammar: prescriptive and descriptive. Prescriptive grammar is the set of rules that English teachers and "Grammar Nazis" berate you for breaking. These rules are naturally set by scholars of the day. Descriptive grammar is that utilized my common folk. They may butcher the prescriptive rules, but you can at least understand what they are saying. An example for the latter would be like saying "me and my sister," as opposed to the prescriptively correct "my sister and I."

When debating with someone, I rarely get hung up over grammar. Because when you start attacking someone’s grammar and spelling instead of their actual argument, you come off as being desperate (win or lose). I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen comments on YouTube or online articles where one person will call someone else stupid just because they have misspelled something or broken prescriptive rules. This doesn't make someone stupid at all. Just remember, if enough people break a certain prescriptive rule, then that variation can easily become a prescriptive rule later on. Again, language changes.

By the way, I love to piss off my mom when she tries to correct a grammar mistake I've made on the phone. I whip out the “prescriptive vs. descriptive” argument and she shuts up.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
22-06-2012, 08:06 AM
don't see how anyone here was doing any kind of hatespeech or spreading hatred o.O
And yes, the shortcut-fever has spread due to sms texting, but a forum or a chat is not expensive Wink you don't pay more if you use more words or letters

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
22-06-2012, 08:15 AM
[attachment=649]    

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
22-06-2012, 08:19 AM
(22-06-2012 08:05 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  It depends on the situation. If I'm writing a paper or speaking with a professor, I usually try to have good grammar. On the contrary, if I'm speaking with friends and family, I dispense with the formalities. I took a linguistics class a few years ago that opened my eyes to the transmutability of written and, especially, spoken language. What is considered good grammar today is different from what it was at the turn of the last century. For those who don't know, there are two kinds of grammar: prescriptive and descriptive. Prescriptive grammar is the set of rules that English teachers and "Grammar Nazis" berate you for breaking. These rules are naturally set by scholars of the day. Descriptive grammar is that utilized my common folk. They may butcher the prescriptive rules, but you can at least understand what they are saying. An example for the latter would be like saying "me and my sister," as opposed to the prescriptively correct "my sister and I."

When debating with someone, I rarely get hung up over grammar. Because when you start attacking someone’s grammar and spelling instead of their actual argument, you come off as being desperate (win or lose). I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen comments on YouTube or online articles where one person will call someone else stupid just because they have misspelled something or broken prescriptive rules. This doesn't make someone stupid at all. Just remember, if enough people break a certain prescriptive rule, then that variation can easily become a prescriptive rule later on. Again, language changes.

By the way, I love to piss off my mom when she tries to correct a grammar mistake I've made on the phone. I whip out the “prescriptive vs. descriptive” argument and she shuts up.
I would say that spelling, grammar, and punctuation matter a great deal in a debate. Proper usage enhances communication and avoids distraction. If your words can be twisted, they will be.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-06-2012, 10:03 AM
When I was young, I would get everything mixed up when I spoke. I'd say our local mall's name backwards and one year I wanted a mop for Christmas but instead got a pom (cheerleading pom). It was super frustrating. More than frustrating is embarrassing. When I was 12 years old, the age where embarrassment intensifies, I had a mix up that I'd never forget. Seems cute now, but at the time I was mortified. I was visiting the ocean for the first time with my family and we were exploring tidal pools. I was with my uncle looking into one and he was showing me an anemone. I asked my uncle, "How come the anemone's testicles are sticky?" Lucky for me my uncle graciously replied that the tentacles are sticky because blah blah blah...", but I never heard the answer as I stood there turning, I'm sure, bright red and feeling light headed. I just wanted to leave the beach but froze instead. This seems maybe minor and funny now and I love to tell the story, but I remember how I felt.

That marked the first of many, many mix-ups. Later, in high school, I was diagnosed with dyslexia both verbally and written. The reason it was caught later on is because I learned from a young age to double and triple check work to make sure my mistakes weren't caught. I hated to be embarrassed and most of all I felt stupid for not getting it like other people do so quickly. I suppose it is a skill I've acquired from actually caring. Double checking work may seem like common sense, but many people, for whatever reason, could give a shit.

Pretty funny, because like HOC mentioned earlier, I am still making these mistakes. This morning I wake up and check TTA like I often do. To my horror I made an -eek!- GRAMMAR mistake . Something I am proudly thorough in attempting to avoid. When this happens, and yes it happened this morning, I first get a rush of panic. Shit goes through my head like "I fucked up. How can I be so stupid. GAWD I look like an idiot." It might be spilt second, usually the case now because I have taught myself to not be so hard on myself now that I understand that it's just that my brain works differently. But today it was like old times, only because I made this stupid grammar thread at the exact time I posted about TORTURE chambers. Oh the irony! Luckily for me, I'm witty and can often cover up or just own up. And, I do appreciate it when I'm corrected, because I learn.

I do think grammar is important. It is a huge part- though not the only way- in how we have evolved, how we communicate and, most importantly in my opinion, how we feel understood. Nothing beats not being able to explain or illustrate exactly what one means or feels. It's vitally important.

It's also a privilege. Education is a privilege denied to far too many. People who even live amongst us in our own country. Many things can affect the end result of proper grammar. It can be a physical situation like mine, but it can also be a rough home life, lack of opportunity or ignorance.

For this reason I try not to be hard on others. I try to understand where they are coming from. Like someone mentioned, it does evolve and change to the set times. I do worry that texting dumbs down our rich language. That is why I also accept it only in the proper places. Otherwise it bothers me.

It also bothers me when I know someone knows better but they are being lazy, too. Or just don't care. I don't correlate horrible grammar with intelligence, but I maybe do with ignorance to some degree (not always as a rule though). I do think there is a lack of professionalism in the media these days. Especially on media outlet Facebook pages (the local radio here drives me nuts for this!)

To sum up, it's complicated! But I work my butt off trying and I think that's all anyone should really do.
[+] 4 users Like LadyJane's post