RE: Grammar
^troll^

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2012, 08:13 AM
(27-06-2012 08:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ^troll^

Are we going to have another Gwynnies brouhaha today? If so I need more coffee! Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
27-06-2012, 08:28 AM
(27-06-2012 07:32 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Occasional grammar and spelling errors are to be expected. The deity who's existence I routinely deny knows I make my share.
Whose?
(just bow down before me)

27-06-2012, 08:29 AM
(27-06-2012 08:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-06-2012 07:32 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Occasional grammar and spelling errors are to be expected. The deity who's existence I routinely deny knows I make my share.

Whose?
(just bow down before me)

Most peoplel make them from time to time. Bowing

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
27-06-2012, 08:33 AM
(22-06-2012 12:35 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Alrighty!

I am opening this can of worms.

What are your thoughts on grammar? Is proper grammar necessary? How much does or doesn't it bother you when words are spelled (or is it spelt? Wink ) incorrectly?

It bothers me a great deal when people don't spell/punctuate correctly or use proper grammar. That said, I know that grammar and language skills are something some people really struggle with, just as I struggle with math(s). American vs Anglo/English/Commonwealth spellings don't bother me. I'm an American who uses Commonwealth spellings and conventions but I recognise both with equal ease. Though I don't actually think of it this way on purpose, there's a part of my brain that believes people who use poor grammar are less intelligent than those who do. I know it's not necessarily actually so, but it's a kind of under the surface feeling I have.

Quote:How about abbreviations or 'texting' grammar (Example, R U OK)? How much slack do you give a stranger vs. someone you know? When do you correct someone and when do you leave it be? Do you correct people on the web or text, or in person when speaking?

In an actual text message I don't mind the texting language. It's designed to allow people to communicate quickly and effectively in short bursts, and as someone who rarely texts or even types things into a cell/mobile phone, I appreciate the desire to press as few keys as necessary. I tend not to correct grammar if I can help it, as I don't want to come off like a big evil grammar nazi. Smile I may ask for clarification, but I try not to go all schoolteacher on people.

Quote:What are your biggest pet peeves?

Your vs you're, its vs it's, and the like. Drives. Me. Batty. See this: Strong Bad Sings Y-O-U-R

[video=yahoo]<iframe width=\"420\" height=\"315\" src=\"http://www.youtube.com/embed/1kvKHsBWgBw\" frameborder=\"0\" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]

Quote:How much weight do you give grammar on intelligence, do you think they are correlated? Does grammar intimidate you? Have you personally struggled with it or has it come easily to you?

I mentioned some of this above. Personally I find grammar and spelling very easy. They come naturally to me. On the other hand I'm struggling through intermediate algebra at the moment. Sometimes it's like this: Weeping and other times it's like this: Thumbsup . I'm getting there. Smile

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
27-06-2012, 09:39 AM
(27-06-2012 08:13 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(27-06-2012 08:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ^troll^

Are we going to have another Gwynnies brouhaha today? If so I need more coffee! Drinking Beverage
Didn't you see what I was watching this morning (like an idiot)? It's in the "what are you listening to" thread. Tongue

And I was referring to what DLJ referenced. Figured you were doing it to be a troll. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-06-2012, 09:46 AM
(27-06-2012 09:39 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(27-06-2012 08:13 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Are we going to have another Gwynnies brouhaha today? If so I need more coffee! Drinking Beverage

Didn't you see what I was watching this morning (like an idiot)? It's in the "what are you listening to" thread. Tongue

And I was referring to what DLJ referenced. Figured you were doing it to be a troll. Tongue

Phew, I am so glad. -After being decapitated and thrown under the bus earlier in the week I wasn't quite up for another round. Smile

David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
06-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Is it

"I learnt this from you."

or

"I learned this from you." ?

Is it privy to location? I always have a hard time choosing and I'm not even sure if one is incorrect.
06-11-2012, 10:43 AM
(06-11-2012 10:37 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Is it

or

Is it privy to location? I always have a hard time choosing and I'm not even sure if one is incorrect.
Generally, learnt is British usage, learned is American.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-11-2012, 10:50 AM
(06-11-2012 10:37 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Is it

or

Same goes for dreamt, spelt, burnt, etc. Actually, once an American friend accused me of not being able to spell the past form of spelt... and he himself didn't know the difference between 'then' and 'than', and would always say "It's suppose to..." No

I love the irregular forms, don't know why, but those are the ones that come naturally to me.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post