Grammar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2012, 04:52 PM
RE: Grammar
(06-11-2012 04:36 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Very impressive.

And it also saddens me to think about all the native English speakers I'm surrounded by who can't get basic spelling or grammar correct. High school graduates who can't spell better than a typical 3rd grader and can't tell an adjective from an adverb and have never heard of a predicate. You put them all to shame. By far.

(I would have said "by whom I'm surrounded" but didn't want to seem pretentious).
Yeah, that annoys me too, esp. when I'm translating a book in which there are not only misused words, but grammatical errors, as well (I still remember how dumbfounded I was when I saw 'she could of done' in a book, a published book, with editors and proofreaders, and all).

It's even worse when in happens in my own language - you guys have historical spelling, so words with the same pronunciation can be spelt in a variety of ways. We, however, have phonetic spelling (basically, you write what you hear) and yet you'd be amazed at how many people can't spell to save their life No
BTW, a friend of mine was doing her MA in Leeds and she told me her English friends had no idea what a verb or a noun was. They called them doing words and... well, I don't even remember the rest of the ridiculous "terminology".
To me, not caring how one speaks and writes is a sign of lack of self-respect (not talking about the occasional typo or mistake, but real illiteracy) at best.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2012, 04:53 PM
the heck would i care about grammar for... vodka fixes everything.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
06-11-2012, 05:05 PM
I can forgive it from non native speakers, which is a good thing since I sometimes work as an editor.

I still blame cellphones and the internet. I feel like people didn't fuck up the language as badly before these things came into fashion.

I can handle some punctuation errors, and half the time, I don't capitalize words at the beginnings of sentences on the internet. What bothers me is your/you're.

I use texting abbreviations when I'm texting and I don't mind it when others do. It saves times and I hate texting. I only do it when I have to, like when a friend is meeting me at a certain time and it's faster than a phone call.

I have certain peeves when it comes to spelling. Once, in second grade, I purposely missed an answer on a spelling test because I preferred to spell "grey" with an "e," and the teacher taught us it was spelled with an "a." I still refuse to spell it that way.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
06-11-2012, 05:36 PM
(06-11-2012 05:05 PM)amyb Wrote:  I can forgive it from non native speakers, which is a good thing since I sometimes work as an editor.

I still blame cellphones and the internet. I feel like people didn't fuck up the language as badly before these things came into fashion.

I can handle some punctuation errors, and half the time, I don't capitalize words at the beginnings of sentences on the internet. What bothers me is your/you're.

I use texting abbreviations when I'm texting and I don't mind it when others do. It saves times and I hate texting. I only do it when I have to, like when a friend is meeting me at a certain time and it's faster than a phone call.

I have certain peeves when it comes to spelling. Once, in second grade, I purposely missed an answer on a spelling test because I preferred to spell "grey" with an "e," and the teacher taught us it was spelled with an "a." I still refuse to spell it that way.
Your teacher was wrong.
Quote:Gray and grey are different spellings of the same word, and both are used throughout the English-speaking world. But gray is more common in American English, while grey is more common in all other main varieties of English. In the U.K., for instance, grey appears about twenty times for every instance of gray. In the U.S. the ratio is reversed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
06-11-2012, 06:20 PM
I knew it. I had crayons that say "grey" on them, I think. ^_^ But she marked it wrong if it wasn't spelled "gray," and that was probably the only spelling word I ever got wrong* in grade school.

I'm American but I do have a preference for British spelling in general. Now that I'm not in grade school, I can away with it. ^_^

My little bro is 21 and writes crappy rap lyrics. I fear that he's not the only person his age who can't spell worth a shit. He wrote one about "keeping it rill," and I assume he meant "keeping it real." =0\

* well, not wrong, but I mean I missed points for it.
06-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Other people's grammatical and spelling mistakes generally don't bother me. I can usually get their gist despite them. But I got major issues with my own. ... Unless I am making them intentionally.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Not really grammar, but a lexical pet peeve of mine. People using the word 'simplistic' as a compliment, as if it had a positive connotation, in a pathetic attempt to sound cleverer.

Crack open a dictionary once in a while. You don't even have to physically do it, we have online dictionaries now.

It's really simplistic, isn't it.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
19-12-2012, 07:23 PM
These are so funny, he has many videos. I laugh and then cough because I'm sick (sad face, truth).

[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
19-12-2012, 07:42 PM
(19-12-2012 07:23 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  ... and then cough because I'm sick (sad face, truth).

Awwww. Their, they're.

Its tradishnal to git sik jooring a hollydae.

Hop you phil betta soon,

19-12-2012, 07:50 PM
(19-12-2012 07:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-12-2012 07:23 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  ... and then cough because I'm sick (sad face, truth).

Awwww. Their, they're.

Its tradishnal to git sik jooring a hollydae.

Hop you phil betta soon,
Thanks u. Their are 6.8 people in this world, Y me? tis like all world is laughing historically at. Can I have you? Babies!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post