Grammar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2012, 02:03 AM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2012 02:10 AM by DLJ.)
RE: Grammar
I think I agree with all above.
Laziness is tolerated but not berated.
No problem with poetic licence and even deliberate abuse is ok when it comes from e.g. a Stephen Fry.

Having teachers for parents and now working in an industry where definition matters, I have to swallow my instinctive pedantry all the time.

My flat mates have varying degrees of competence with English (I can't speak Mandarin, Thai, Vietnamese etc. so who am I to judge?).

So I think I come from the same school as Aurora.... sadly, I mean that figuratively not literally.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
22-06-2012, 02:41 AM
Quote:By the way, LJ it's 'spelt' lol

Not in American ( or Canadian?) English. It is spelled. This would totally suck if I found out she was trolling.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
22-06-2012, 02:54 AM
No one here trolls. Ever. Angel
22-06-2012, 02:58 AM
As my first post on a non-introductory thread, I'd like to say hello, and to ask where the baby eating thread is. I've looked everywhere, but I can't seem to find it.

Anywho, I fancy myself as a grammar Communist. Not quite a Nazi, but I can't help but cry a little when I read the quality of comments on sites like YouTube. A typo here and there is fine, but if I have to strain my brain to read what the heck you just said, there's a problem.
[+] 3 users Like MrArrogant's post
22-06-2012, 02:59 AM
(22-06-2012 02:58 AM)MrArrogant Wrote:  As my first post on a non-introductory thread, I'd like to say hello, and to ask where the baby eating thread is. I've looked everywhere, but I can't seem to find it.

Anywho, I fancy myself as a grammar Communist. Not quite a Nazi, but I can't help but cry a little when I read the quality of comments on sites like YouTube. A typo here and there is fine, but if I have to strain my brain to read what the heck you just said, there's a problem.
Welcome.

Yarrrrrrr
22-06-2012, 03:11 AM
In a forum like this, spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes don't bother me too much. First of all, who am I to judge, making enough mistakes myself as a not native English speaker. I only see a problem when I know someone is a native but doesn't give a fuck about spelling and grammar. You should be educated enough to at least spell better than I do as a non native - or build a proper sentence.

And about shortcuts... I feel I'm getting old saying this but I hate when the whole sentence is made of single letters and numbers. what is the difference between "2" or "too". Most people are typing fairly fast and writing two more letters is not only friendly for the reader's eye but also doesn't make any difference to you, even if you are in a hurry.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
22-06-2012, 05:36 AM
I got a pet peeve going on about how many pet peeve threads mofos got going on...

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
[+] 6 users Like houseofcantor's post
22-06-2012, 06:18 AM
It's about communication, then, innit?

It seems to me that if you want to be understood, then you need to follow enough convention to achieve that.

If your spelling and grammar get in the way, then you have failed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
22-06-2012, 06:50 AM
It doesnt bother me.

My best friend and "brother from another mother" Dave is dyslexic. He can read perfectly well yet he cannot spell. He has been judged over this his whole entire life and it has even affected his confidence is certain areas (like applying for jobs)

I imagine that text speak has evolved through the shortening of words to save money on texting....... it is just a shortcut.

Its like I have said millions of time before WORDS ARE INERT..... heck you could even write something with an intention of your own and yet people can read it and give it there own meaning depending upon there life experiences, how they feel etc etc.

I am famous for using "......................." instead of comas. Although sometimes dependent upon my mood I will use them.

Its not the end of the world is it people???

Maybe your hatred is a reflection of how stuck in your ways you have become
........ me......... I like to adapt and evolve and move with the world around me.

So if anybody disagrees with me id like to say "STFU" Cool

(in the kindest way possible of course)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
22-06-2012, 07:06 AM
[Image: cavemen.png]
http://www.explosm.net/comics/2830/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post