Grammar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2012, 02:01 PM
RE: Grammar
I spell well, and I have good grammar thanks to writing fiction as a hobby, and essays at university. I don't let other people's spelling or grammar bother me too much, especially on forums and such, because typos happen. I've made my fair share. It does bother me, however, when someone's terrible grammar or spelling makes what they're trying to get across totally incomprehensible to me. A wall of text with no punctuation, for example, is something I'll skip over without reading.

Generally, I don't assume complete incompetence when I come across a misspelled word or two. I know a lot of people for whom English is a second language. Plus my husband, one of the smartest people I know, is hopeless when it comes to spelling. Just this weekend I wrote, "Your spelling is bad and you should feel bad." on the back of our shopping list because he wrote 'wallnuts' on it.

I'm not a very good wife. But I am an excellent proof reader.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Katherine's post
26-06-2012, 02:23 PM
A mistake here and there is one thing, but today I had to read my sister in-laws note four times to understand it. It was one sentence long. Confused
26-06-2012, 02:49 PM
(26-06-2012 02:23 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  A mistake here and there is one thing, but today I had to read my sister in-laws note four times to understand it. It was one sentence long. Confused
How long would you judge the sentence? Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-06-2012, 03:16 PM
(26-06-2012 02:01 PM)Katherine Wrote:  I spell well, and I have good grammar thanks to writing fiction as a hobby, and essays at university. I don't let other people's spelling or grammar bother me too much, especially on forums and such, because typos happen. I've made my fair share. It does bother me, however, when someone's terrible grammar or spelling makes what they're trying to get across totally incomprehensible to me. A wall of text with no punctuation, for example, is something I'll skip over without reading.

Generally, I don't assume complete incompetence when I come across a misspelled word or two. I know a lot of people for whom English is a second language. Plus my husband, one of the smartest people I know, is hopeless when it comes to spelling. Just this weekend I wrote, "Your spelling is bad and you should feel bad." on the back of our shopping list because he wrote 'wallnuts' on it.

I'm not a very good wife. But I am an excellent proof reader.

Captured here.

And do you mean "proofreader"/"proof-reader", or are you just really good at reading proofs? Big Grin

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean there aren't people who should pray for their sorry ass to be saved.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-06-2012, 03:40 PM
I did say I've made my fair share of typing mistakes. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Katherine's post
26-06-2012, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2012 03:57 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-06-2012 03:40 PM)Katherine Wrote:  I did say I've made my fair share of typing mistakes. Smile

No problem. I was just proofreading it for you. Big Grin

I did say I was an ass, didn't I? ... Oops, maybe I didn't. I am an ass.

That wife bit did have me on the floor.

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean there aren't people who should pray for their sorry ass to be saved.
26-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Why, thank you. I'd have done the same. Which doesn't make you not an ass, it just makes me one too. Smile

Truth be told, I figured there'd have to be at least one mistake in that post. Because of what I was saying, you see. In a perverse way, I'm glad it was that. It was perfect in its wrongness.
[+] 1 user Likes Katherine's post
26-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Jeez. I had to do some head-scratching over that. Finally got it Tongue
26-06-2012, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2012 06:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-06-2012 04:04 PM)Katherine Wrote:  Why, thank you. I'd have done the same. Which doesn't make you not an ass, it just makes me one too. Smile

There you go. Wink

(26-06-2012 04:04 PM)Katherine Wrote:  Truth be told, I figured there'd have to be at least one mistake in that post. Because of what I was saying, you see. In a perverse way, I'm glad it was that. It was perfect in its wrongness.

It was. Perfectly wrong in the perfect spot. Big Grin ... It was so perfect I'm gonna go with [Image: bravo-7466.gif], but many will miss your point. Wink

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Occasional grammar and spelling errors are to be expected. The deity who's existence I routinely deny knows I make my share.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume