100% for me. Easy Peasy, lemon squeezy.

Banana_zorro
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
04-01-2014, 07:47 PM
RE: Grammatically Speaking: for all my grammar nazi's
Also aced it.

The of/have one almost caught me. That was the first question where they had the answer the same for both sentences. The previous 6 or 7 had one answer filling in for one sentence and the other answer filling in for the other sentence. Up until that point, I was just breezing through it without actually thinking about grammar rules and instead just relied on my English instincts, but had to stop myself at that point when I realized that it broke from the previous pattern. It's supposed to be a test for your knowledge on grammar rules, not a "try to avoid being tricked" test! Angry

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
05-01-2014, 05:16 AM
(04-01-2014 08:44 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I really dont care much about what my spelling is like when I am debating in what practicaly is foreign language, as long as one can certainly understand what I mean.
*don't
*practically
*a

(04-01-2014 08:44 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  When people in a debate resort to attacking my spelling I see it as a lazy attempt to escape giving a counter and it genuenly angers me to the point that I feel like resolving the debate with an act of canibalism.
*genuinely
*cannibalism

(04-01-2014 08:44 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  But I do like it when people point my mistakes out to me casualy and not for the purpose of angering or discredeting me.
*casually
*discrediting

[Image: Y5tGBer.jpg]

[Image: vG3fPew.gif] [Image: vG3fPew.gif] [Image: vG3fPew.gif] [Image: vG3fPew.gif] [Image: vG3fPew.gif] [Image: vG3fPew.gif] [Image: vG3fPew.gif] [Image: vG3fPew.gif] [Image: vG3fPew.gif] [Image: vG3fPew.gif] [Image: vG3fPew.gif] [Image: vG3fPew.gif]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
05-01-2014, 09:08 AM
(04-01-2014 12:24 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 12:08 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I've always thought that when I'm speaking about someone else and I, that "I" (not me) should come after the person.

"Mildred and I went to the beach."

"The dog chased Mildred and I."

Not me?

Hrmmm....

Please explain.

When I write, I write to my ear. Tech Pubs can argue with me later. "I" vs "me" has always been obvious to my ear. "I" when I'm the subject, "me" when I'm the object, don't matter how many other Mildreds involved.

I went to the beach. Mildred and LadyJane and I went to the beach. LadyJane and I and Mildred went to the beach. I and LadyJane and Mildred went to the beach.

The dog chased me. The dog chased Mildred and LadyJane and me. The dog chased Mildred and me and LadyJane. The dog chased me and Mildred and LadyJane.

I always go with my ear 'cause I'm more impressed with it than some fucking arbitrary rules subject to change. Tech Pubs'll fix it. It's kinda like their job. Big Grin

Good explanation, Girly.

I think that is the mistake that drives me crazy the most. Even more than there/they're/their. Because I see it on Facebook all the time: "here's a picture of Holly and I!"

Ugh.
05-01-2014, 09:14 AM
(04-01-2014 12:24 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 12:08 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I've always thought that when I'm speaking about someone else and I, that "I" (not me) should come after the person.

"Mildred and I went to the beach."

"The dog chased Mildred and I."

Not me?

Hrmmm....

Please explain.

When I write, I write to my ear. Tech Pubs can argue with me later. "I" vs "me" has always been obvious to my ear. "I" when I'm the subject, "me" when I'm the object, don't matter how many other Mildreds involved.

I went to the beach. Mildred and LadyJane and I went to the beach. LadyJane and I and Mildred went to the beach. I and LadyJane and Mildred went to the beach.

The dog chased me. The dog chased Mildred and LadyJane and me. The dog chased Mildred and me and LadyJane. The dog chased me and Mildred and LadyJane.

I always go with my ear 'cause I'm more impressed with it than some fucking arbitrary rules subject to change. Tech Pubs'll fix it. It's kinda like their job. Big Grin

Some teacher along the way taught us to remove the other person from the sentence (in our head) and then figure out what worked best alone - me or I. Sort of the reverse of what Girly says.

Girly and I went out to lunch.
I went out to lunch.

LadyJane went out to lunch with Girly and me.
LadyJane went out to lunch with me.

That's how I remember. Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
05-01-2014, 12:01 PM
(05-01-2014 09:14 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Some teacher along the way taught us to remove the other person from the sentence (in our head) and then figure out what worked best alone - me or I. Sort of the reverse of what Girly says.

I went out to lunch.

Yeah, I use that rule of thumb as well. Thumbsup

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
05-01-2014, 12:08 PM
(05-01-2014 09:14 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 12:24 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  When I write, I write to my ear. Tech Pubs can argue with me later. "I" vs "me" has always been obvious to my ear. "I" when I'm the subject, "me" when I'm the object, don't matter how many other Mildreds involved.

Some teacher along the way taught us to remove the other person from the sentence (in our head) and then figure out what worked best alone - me or I. Sort of the reverse of what Girly says.

I went out to lunch.

Nice! ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
05-01-2014, 02:30 PM
I'm bored of grammar quizzes Drinking Beverage

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
05-01-2014, 04:21 PM
(05-01-2014 02:30 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'm bored have grammar quizzes Drinking Beverage

Fixt.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-01-2014, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2014 04:51 PM by Losty.)
I was thinking either by or with....I assume you two are joking, but I'd like to know the real answer here lol

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post