Grand Canyon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2013, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 09:13 PM by cheapthrillseaker.)
RE: Grand Canyon
(04-06-2013 09:00 PM)kim Wrote:  Sorry, what was I thinking? Dodgy

Here - a pretty picture will make up for such useless knowledge. Blink
[Image: Grand_Canyon_NP-Arizona-USA.jpg]

Serves me right coming into the science section. Big Grin

Yeah, I'm gonna stop nao. My attempt at humor backfired and now my ass is burnt.

Please accept this peace offering:
[Image: Arizona-Grand-Canyon.jpg]

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
04-06-2013, 09:13 PM
(04-06-2013 03:27 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  I suggest starting with Claire:

I like this Claire person. I will look for other stuff by her on You Tube. Very educational.

Kimmy, go boating on Lake Meade. The biggest fake man-made lake in the world, (I think).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
04-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Holy crap - look at this!!
[Image: arizona-grand-canyon-703-12.jpg]
This is in the Grand Canyon.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-06-2013, 09:22 PM
(04-06-2013 09:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Kimmy, go boating on Lake Meade. The biggest fake man-made lake in the world, (I think).

Oh yea - Lake Meade - that's where Hoover Dam is.
[Image: 65556-050-34F834B6.jpg]
Cool - I like that it's so white along the edge above the dam.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Which "flood" is the man in video refuting? The coming and going of ice ages caused great flooding in many areas of the world, some were sudden flooding and some were slow flooding, I am pretty sure the grand canyon had part of it's results due to flooding a long ass time ago.
05-06-2013, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013 02:24 PM by Hafnof.)
I&I, if you're referring to the video I posted I suggest rewatching it or watching it in full. You seem to have a few details wrong.

Bucky: She's a (I think retired) field geologist, so often has insights that regular evolution-based debunkers miss. She used to have a weekly series called Coffee with Claire that was a highlight for me. She seems to have dropped back to only doing these geoodyssey videos for now.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
05-06-2013, 04:27 PM
I and I, no doubt glacial melt and flooding contributed to the Grand Canyon's formation. I tried to google it but was having difficulty and quit so I do not know for sure but I believe that glaciation only made it to the head waters of the Colorado. It remains that the Grand Canyon's formation was primarily from long term erosion.

That is not to say that high flows from glacial melt did not alter the landscape. Too many years ago for me to remember for sure which but I was traveling along either the Tuolumne or Merced river just before they entered the San Joaquin Valley. Although the road was quite far from the current river channel there appeared to be a high river bank on the side away from the river. I stopped a couple of times and observed that there appeared to be the same bank like feature on the far side of the river. I surmised at the time that this bank like feature was probably caused during one or more glacial melt floods (note I am far from a geologist).

Watch the video Hafnof posted until the end. She talks of evidence in eastern Washington of massive floods, caused when ice dams broke and huge amounts of water were quickly released. I suspect that there is evidence elsewhere in the world of this kind of event but do not know of it.
05-06-2013, 10:48 PM
(04-06-2013 09:16 PM)kim Wrote:  Holy crap - look at this!!
[Image: arizona-grand-canyon-703-12.jpg]
This is in the Grand Canyon.

Havasu Falls.

I knew someone that would take a troop of scouts every other year, hike to the bottom, spend the night camping at Phantom Ranch, hike back up in the morning. If I remember correctly he said its a 14 mile hike.

We went in November a few years ago over Thanksgiving. It was my first visit there. It was amazing to watch a snowstorm come in and make it seem like the canyon disappeared before my eyes, and many of the ridges had snow on them. Gave the canyon a totally different look. It was terrifying to be there with small children. And I honestly don't know how a child doesn't get blown off the edge every day. Hardly any railings, knee walls, hell not even a curb as high as my ankle! even that would have been nice, and when a storm is coming the wind will knock you over. It was crazy!!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
05-06-2013, 11:14 PM
I was there in January this year. The wind was freezing cold, but I didn't feel like it was dangerous. Maybe it's stronger in November. Now there were icy patches around, but the area immediately around the canyon rim was fairly snow-free and the footing was solid. Most of the major touristy lookout points had rails, at least.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
06-06-2013, 04:52 AM
I fucking hate the Hoover Dam, always crashes in New Vegas.

[Image: 9f6.gif]