Grandmother Facepalm (Gay Bigotry)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2013, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2013 07:08 PM by Misanthropik.)
Grandmother Facepalm (Gay Bigotry)
So a lot of you have heard me ranting about my grandmother in recent weeks. A few seem to like hearing about it, so here are some more senescent shenanigans of recent days.

I was sitting with my grandmother in her kitchen, as I do fairly often as of late, having a cup of coffee and talking about this and that. Somehow, the topic of Ellen Degeneres came up. Those who have heard of her likely know that she's a lesbian. For those who haven't heard of her:

[Image: Ellen_Degeneres111013164315.jpg] <---------- Lesbian.

My grandmother is still very devout, and any time the topic of homosexuality arises - particularly when it pertains to lesbians - she expresses an intentionally-obvious disgust. Like a child, she'll go out of her way to let you know that she doesn't like lesbians, and she'll continue to make little scoffing noises or roll her eyes until you acknowledge her. When you finally do so, she'll proceed to tell you that she doesn't approve of lesbians. Then you just pat her on the head like a puppy who's done a cute trick and the conversation can continue.

So, we started talking about Ellen for whatever reason, and the moment her name was spoken, my grandmother began her eye-rolling and head-shaking. I'm not a regular viewer of Ellen's daytime show, but I've seen it a few times, and I like her as a person. I think she's pretty cool (her standup's not bad either; if you haven't seen it). So when my grandmother began her usual shtik, I felt some need to defend Ellen's honor. We've talked about Ellen before, and every time it's been the same disapproving reaction (she calls her "Ellen Degenerate"). So this time, I decided I was gonna talk about how great Ellen is; just to needle the old bat. So I started talking about Ellen's charities and her philanthropy and her philosophy of love, laughter and kindness. Talking about anything and everything good that Ellen's ever done so that I could show my grandmother that even an amoral, hedonistic, possibly-Satan-worshipping, horrible, terrible rug-eater like Ellen Degenerate could be a better person than even the most God-fearing individual.

When I was finished, her only response was "Yeah, but she's still a lezzie."

I was angered by this. Not because she bashed Ellen - I'm used to that and though I fought a battle for her, it doesn't mean I let the problems of others get to me. I was angered because even after everything that I'd said; it all flew completely over the head of my old bigot of a grandmother, and she still chose to focus entirely on Ellen's sexual orientation. So, I had a momentary lashing out.

"Yeah, but she's still a lezzie."

To which I shouted, "And she's a fucking blonde, too!"

To this, my grandmother responded, "*Scoff* So? What's that have to do with anything?"

*Sigh*.....It was then that I palmed my face so hard that it lead to a shattered cheek bone and a hairline fracture of my frontal bone; just above my right eyebrow. Not in the real world, of course, because then I'd have to deal with her asking stupid questions like "Why are you doing these things to your face? Weeping First the fencing through your lower lip and now this!" while she pressed a cold washcloth against my bloody and bruised cranium. But in my mind, I was raging. Outside, I was speechless. I simply didn't know what to say. Not only had she made the very fucking point I was trying to get across to her, but she didn't even realize that I had made it to begin with! Yes, my dearest grandmother, Ellen is a blonde lesbian. What does that have to do with anything? Of what relevance - in this or any otherwise imaginary fucking fairytale land - is Ellen's sexual orientation to her good deeds? Why is it that I can't get you to see how utterly unimportant her homosexuality is, but when I draw a parallel using the equally-irrelevant color of her hair; well that point you happen to catch, and then you throw it back at me like I'm the moron?!?!

JESUS TITTY-FUCK!!!!!! Censored
[Image: tumblr_m0sxcp8N0y1rqfhi2o1_250.gif]

So, I changed the subject and everything went smoothly in another direction. And that was my lunch date with grandma. Sleepy

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
31-01-2013, 07:18 PM
RE: Grandmother Facepalm (Gay Bigotry)
Well, you know what they say, its near impossible to change the mindset of the older generation. To be completely honest, my guess is that she will never change how she feels about lesbians. Its really unfortunate, of course. If you ask me, I see absolutely nothing wrong or abnormal about homosexuality. In fact, I think its a completely natural phenomenon. Its common amongst wild animals. So what's so surprising about the fact that some people turn out to be homosexual? It is a shame that the religious will never see it the same way.

Regards,
Lucius

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Lucius's post
31-01-2013, 07:51 PM
You should hear what my grandmother says about blacks. >.>

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
31-01-2013, 08:01 PM
haha this is funny share more when you can. I don't understand why people make it any of there business what people do in there own home it doesn't hurt anyone.
31-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Or my grandfather about Australians. He hates them. For no reason. True story.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
31-01-2013, 08:08 PM
(31-01-2013 07:03 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  So a lot of you have heard me ranting about my grandmother in recent weeks. A few seem to like hearing about it, so here are some more senescent shenanigans of recent days.

I was sitting with my grandmother in her kitchen, as I do fairly often as of late, having a cup of coffee and talking about this and that. Somehow, the topic of Ellen Degeneres came up. Those who have heard of her likely know that she's a lesbian. For those who haven't heard of her:

My grandmother is still very devout, and any time the topic of homosexuality arises - particularly when it pertains to lesbians - she expresses an intentionally-obvious disgust. Like a child, she'll go out of her way to let you know that she doesn't like lesbians, and she'll continue to make little scoffing noises or roll her eyes until you acknowledge her. When you finally do so, she'll proceed to tell you that she doesn't approve of lesbians. Then you just pat her on the head like a puppy who's done a cute trick and the conversation can continue.

So, we started talking about Ellen for whatever reason, and the moment her name was spoken, my grandmother began her eye-rolling and head-shaking. I'm not a regular viewer of Ellen's daytime show, but I've seen it a few times, and I like her as a person. I think she's pretty cool (her standup's not bad either; if you haven't seen it). So when my grandmother began her usual shtik, I felt some need to defend Ellen's honor. We've talked about Ellen before, and every time it's been the same disapproving reaction (she calls her "Ellen Degenerate"). So this time, I decided I was gonna talk about how great Ellen is; just to needle the old bat. So I started talking about Ellen's charities and her philanthropy and her philosophy of love, laughter and kindness. Talking about anything and everything good that Ellen's ever done so that I could show my grandmother that even an amoral, hedonistic, possibly-Satan-worshipping, horrible, terrible rug-eater like Ellen Degenerate could be a better person than even the most God-fearing individual.

I was angered by this. Not because she bashed Ellen - I'm used to that and though I fought a battle for her, it doesn't mean I let the problems of others get to me. I was angered because even after everything that I'd said; it all flew completely over the head of my old bigot of a grandmother, and she still chose to focus entirely on Ellen's sexual orientation. So, I had a momentary lashing out.

To this, my grandmother responded, "*Scoff* So? What's that have to do with anything?"

*Sigh*.....It was then that I palmed my face so hard that it lead to a shattered cheek bone and a hairline fracture of my frontal bone; just above my right eyebrow. Not in the real world, of course, because then I'd have to deal with her asking stupid questions like "Why are you doing these things to your face? Weeping First the fencing through your lower lip and now this!" while she pressed a cold washcloth against my bloody and bruised cranium. But in my mind, I was raging. Outside, I was speechless. I simply didn't know what to say. Not only had she made the very fucking point I was trying to get across to her, but she didn't even realize that I had made it to begin with! Yes, my dearest grandmother, Ellen is a blonde lesbian. What does that have to do with anything? Of what relevance - in this or any otherwise imaginary fucking fairytale land - is Ellen's sexual orientation to her good deeds? Why is it that I can't get you to see how utterly unimportant her homosexuality is, but when I draw a parallel using the equally-irrelevant color of her hair; well that point you happen to catch, and then you throw it back at me like I'm the moron?!?!

So, I changed the subject and everything went smoothly in another direction. And that was my lunch date with grandma. Sleepy
Big Grin Cool story bro.
31-01-2013, 08:10 PM
(31-01-2013 07:18 PM)Lucius Wrote:  Well, you know what they say, its near impossible to change the mindset of the older generation. To be completely honest, my guess is that she will never change how she feels about lesbians. Its really unfortunate, of course. If you ask me, I see absolutely nothing wrong or abnormal about homosexuality. In fact, I think its a completely natural phenomenon. Its common amongst wild animals. So what's so surprising about the fact that some people turn out to be homosexual? It is a shame that the religious will never see it the same way.
Rolleyes I'm you hucklebery Lucious. Theres gonna be a lot of gays in Heaven. Angel
31-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Lol, rug muncher...

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
31-01-2013, 10:01 PM
(31-01-2013 08:08 PM)Richard Stuckmeyer Wrote:  
(31-01-2013 07:03 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  So a lot of you have heard me ranting about my grandmother in recent weeks. A few seem to like hearing about it, so here are some more senescent shenanigans of recent days.

Big Grin Cool story bro.

Thaaaaaaaanks!!!
[Image: smiling-business-man-showing-thumbs-up-t...82x300.jpg]

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
31-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Yeah, some people just focus on shit like that. I used to think they'd change if they had gay friends/relatives. I was wrong:

My mom has a good friend who is a lesbian. She acknowledges she likes talking to her and going places with her, but then, talking to others, she makes a points of saying shit like, "...but I don't agree with her lifestyle choice" or "...but I don't understand how a woman could be with another woman." Unless you are fucking the person, their sex life isn;t really your business. WTF.

My grandparents were always very bigoted. Then my cousin came out, but not until he turned 40... They were nice to him and his partner when they visited from out of state, but people actually came up to me, at a Christmas party, to say snide shit about "the gay people." My mom asked me, "Did you take a picture of the gay people? Aunt ____ wants to see them..." WTF. It's really not necessary to bring up their orientation in this way.

Related: I've known people who stopped listening to certain bands when members came out as gay. WTF. Do they think the gay is contagious and they're gonna catch it by listening to music they already claimed to enjoy?
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post