Grandmother says I'll be killed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2012, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2012 03:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Grandmother says I'll be killed.
(30-08-2012 08:31 AM)Oxiate Wrote:  So my grandmother, whom I love very much and am very close to just told me I am going to be killed. I'm a junior at a public college in New Jersey, ...

Well, if you're going to school in Newark, your gramma might be right, but it won't have anything to do with you being an atheist. ... I'm just teasing, Maryland can't help but fuck with Jersey is all. Tongue ... Go ahead, I'm waiting for the Baltimore retort, I deserve it.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2012, 02:17 AM
RE: Grandmother says I'll be killed.
Let's be honest, though: you simply never know. People shoot each other in the streets for a pair of sneakers. I have no doubt that people can and have been killed simply due to their religious beliefs/non-beliefs. Hell, just look at 9/11.

I live in a progressive, yet still-very-southern town, and the back of my car is covered with Darwin fish and inverted crosses and atheistic phrases. I can recall two seperate occasions when I've been glared at with pure hatred. The first was by a car full of girl from a christian-oriented college (they just looked at me like I was garbage), but the second one was an old, beat-up Ford with three of the most cliche rednecks I've ever seen. They drove up beside my car and they all glared down at me. Then the one in the passenger seat leaned his big beafy arm out the window so I could get a good view of the Rosary tattooed across his outer bicep.

I had to laugh afterward as "Dueling Banjos" played in my head, but the point is, some people do take their Gawd seriously. They "ain't like no filthy stinkin' atheist". I'm sure your grandmother meant no harm, but she wasn't completely inaccurate. Having said that, though, you can't hide your atheism out of fear. I wear my symbols loud and proud. If someone decides they're gonna do something to me because of it, well, at least I'll have become a martyr for my cause. I'd be one more story that puts yet another nail in religion's coffin.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply