Grandson is getting married to someone I don't approve of?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Grandson is getting married to someone I don't approve of?
My grandson (age 30) is getting married next month, but I do not approve of this wedding (despite my wife's, his parent's, and his other grandparents' approval). He has known this girl since he was 15. The girl is age 32, which is my first objection. Why should a man marry an older woman? Second, this girl is Chinese American and I disagree with miscegenation. Third, she is an atheist as is my grandson and his parents and his other grandparents, so I feel if he marries this girl there will be little chance of him becoming a believer in Jesus Christ. Fourth, this girl seems like she is very career orientated as his my grandson, who is already a millionaire. Both have expressed a desire not to have children, which disturbs me. All the times I see them they are talking and having a good time and being very silly. In fact, the two of them often hang out together with friends of both genders and multiple races and cultures. I believe that a relationship leading to marriage should be more reserved and serious. My grandson says he likes her because she is very intelligent, funny, kind, and beautiful but I think that is not a good foundation for this marriage. I want you to tell me if my objections are invalid and why, and also tell me if I should attend this wedding. I am willing to reconsider my views. Thank you and God Bless.
Find all posts by this user
17-07-2013, 05:26 PM
RE: Grandson is getting married to someone I don't approve of?
... ... ... ... ... ... I don't really think there is anything you can do except to accept your grandson's decision. While you may disagree with it, you should remain proud of him and the choice he ultimately makes.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 5 users Like Logica Humano's post
17-07-2013, 05:29 PM
(17-07-2013 05:18 PM)leoblake Wrote:  My grandson (age 30) is getting married next month, but I do not approve of this wedding (despite my wife's, his parent's, and his other grandparents' approval). He has known this girl since he was 15. The girl is age 32, which is my first objection. Why should a man marry an older woman? Second, this girl is Chinese American and I disagree with miscegenation. Third, she is an atheist as is my grandson and his parents and his other grandparents, so I feel if he marries this girl there will be little chance of him becoming a believer in Jesus Christ. Fourth, this girl seems like she is very career orientated as his my grandson, who is already a millionaire. Both have expressed a desire not to have children, which disturbs me. All the times I see them they are talking and having a good time and being very silly. In fact, the two of them often hang out together with friends of both genders and multiple races and cultures. I believe that a relationship leading to marriage should be more reserved and serious. My grandson says he likes her because she is very intelligent, funny, kind, and beautiful but I think that is not a good foundation for this marriage. I want you to tell me if my objections are invalid and why, and also tell me if I should attend this wedding. I am willing to reconsider my views. Thank you and God Bless.

I'm sorry but what??! It's not for me or anyone else to try to change your mind, if your own family can't, why should you assume we can? Also, you are inviting debate in a section where people are to be supportive.

If you can't put aside your feelings, and attend with the love in your heart for your grandson -- maybe you should stay home.

Lastly, you do know this is an atheist forum?

In any event I do hope you change your mind and attend. I'm sure it would mean a lot to your grandson and his future wife.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-07-2013, 05:29 PM
(17-07-2013 05:18 PM)leoblake Wrote:  My grandson (age 30) is getting married next month, but I do not approve of this wedding (despite my wife's, his parent's, and his other grandparents' approval). He has known this girl since he was 15. The girl is age 32, which is my first objection. Why should a man marry an older woman? Second, this girl is Chinese American and I disagree with miscegenation. Third, she is an atheist as is my grandson and his parents and his other grandparents, so I feel if he marries this girl there will be little chance of him becoming a believer in Jesus Christ. Fourth, this girl seems like she is very career orientated as his my grandson, who is already a millionaire. Both have expressed a desire not to have children, which disturbs me. All the times I see them they are talking and having a good time and being very silly. In fact, the two of them often hang out together with friends of both genders and multiple races and cultures. I believe that a relationship leading to marriage should be more reserved and serious. My grandson says he likes her because she is very intelligent, funny, kind, and beautiful but I think that is not a good foundation for this marriage. I want you to tell me if my objections are invalid and why, and also tell me if I should attend this wedding. I am willing to reconsider my views. Thank you and God Bless.

I think you should reconsider every one of your opinions.

Mostly, it none of your business what their marriage is about.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
17-07-2013, 05:32 PM
by your description, your grandson sounds like he is making many excellent choices in his life.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 5 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
17-07-2013, 05:36 PM
If you should find it impossible to support their decision, do not attend the festivities. It is a celebration of that choice.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
17-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Your grandson and his future wife sound happy and successful, I am afraid I don't understand the problem.

Is it the age difference, the mixing of races, or the atheism that's most upsetting to you?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
17-07-2013, 05:42 PM
(17-07-2013 05:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Your grandson and his future wife sound happy and successful, I am afraid I don't understand the problem.

Is it the age difference, the mixing of races, or the atheism that's most upsetting to you?

I had the feeling it was all of it, but great question.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

17-07-2013, 05:45 PM
(17-07-2013 05:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Your grandson and his future wife sound happy and successful, I am afraid I don't understand the problem.

Atheism, race mixing, age difference and in that order.
17-07-2013, 05:50 PM
I got nothing...

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Thread Closed