Grandson is getting married to someone I don't approve of?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2013, 07:17 AM
RE: Grandson is getting married to someone I don't approve of?
Leo,

I've been trying to figure out what kind of responses you are hoping to get to your message. I noticed the same OP posted in a number of places - christianforums and yahoo answers. That's often a sign of a troll, but I noticed in this case that the questions showed up at pretty close to the same time so I wanted to give you a bit of a chance to expand on what you are hoping to get from the thinking atheist forum, what you hoped to get from the other forums, and to maybe give you a chance to talk about what answers you had actually seen there and what you think of those answers.

Assuming you are genuine, and assuming your reasons are genuine, there has to come a point where you decide what you are willing to accept in life and what you are willing to reject. A grandson who is 30 is legally able to make his own choices. Whatever you may think of that you can't make his choices for him. You say you are deciding whether or no you approve and whether or not to attend his wedding. That makes me think you are resigned to the fact that his decision is made and cannot be changed by you. You're not considering an action that would change his mind. You are considering your form of protest.

So if I were you I would ask myself: For each form of protest that I might choose, what are the likely positive consequences and what are the likely negative ones? What are you risking, and what are you gaining? It seems to me that the most you can gain is your pride, and the most you can lose is your relationship with your grandson and other family members. I would weigh that and I would choose a form of protest I feel minimises the risk while still preserving a modicum of pride. To me that would be just talking to your grandson, once, and never bringing it up again. It would be going to his wedding and being proud of him, even if you wouldn't make the same choices as he would make.

That said my gut is with germanyt on this one.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
19-07-2013, 09:34 AM
I checked his profile and found out he hasn't logged back on since the day he made his posts. I also checked his profile on the christianforums site and found the same thing is true there.

The responses on the Christian forum are about the same as on this forum. Everyone disagrees with his opinions and some of them suspect that he is a troll.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-07-2013, 09:41 AM
(19-07-2013 09:34 AM)theophilus Wrote:  I checked his profile and found out he hasn't logged back on since the day he made his posts. I also checked his profile on the christianforums site and found the same thing is true there.

The responses on the Christian forum are about the same as on this forum. Everyone disagrees with his opinions and some of them suspect that he is a troll.

That's pretty much the general consensus; however, troll or not, he's still entitled to the same protection in this section. But, like I said, if he's a troll, he's not looking for protection, so by not responding to him the problem will solve itself.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
19-07-2013, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2013 11:09 AM by Scully.)
nevermind
my head exploded when i read the OP.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
19-07-2013, 11:10 AM
(19-07-2013 11:04 AM)Scully Wrote:  nevermind
my head exploded when i read the OP.

lol nice edit.

I had already manned my green pen.

19-07-2013, 11:11 AM
You really concerned over a 2 year age gap? Please she is an Asian woman, she is still going to outlive him by 15 years and still look 30 at age 72.

Bah, miscegenation....Have you seen any 1/2 white 1/2 asian girls? Smokin hot and amazing at math!

Be happy for your son WWII, Korea and Vietnam are over.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-07-2013, 11:17 AM
LOCKING THE THREAD BECAUSE IT IS BEING COUNTER PRODUCTIVE TO THE SECTION. IF THE OP DECIDES TO RETURN, I WILL UNLOCK IT UPON HIS REQUEST.

Thread Closed