Graphene. Don't you just love it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Firstly I must say, graphene does not seem to be suited for buidling computer processors, memories and so on. This might be routed by developing more the promising silicene, plus silicon-based memristors. Memristors may hold very variable resistance, so instead of 1-0 bit values it might go from 1 microohm to 256 microohms (not literally, you get the idea), while bringing stable memory and increased memory capacity.
Even so, the right out of sci-fi material graphene will conquer the real world beyond computers.

Graphene will transform windows panes to cheap and efficient solar cells. (classic graphene cells already in use) It will also give them variable tint, for a few microvolts given once, they'll change transparency forever, unless we apply a few microvolts once again.
(I'm looking forward to e-reader screens based on this principle Smile )

Which means, graphene gets hit by a proton and spits out an electron (not photovoltaic principle). What happens, if we overlay graphene with a standard OLED display sheet? A freakin' night vision, that's what happens. Graphene transforms even the infrared light to electrons and OLED layer changes it to visible light. Reputedly, this technology is very cheap and can be made on today's machines that make laptop screens. We'll probably use it on our car windows panes, but hey, glasses for night vision! We can do without the street lamps and also explore really nice but dark and scary forests and caves fearlessly. And I can't wait to slap some nightvision stickers on my glasses!

Graphene layers also let through water molecules only, promising finally a clean available water for the third world. If Mother Future permits, similar materials might one day be engineered to permit through also other elements, like iron, copper, aluminium... A very finely milled sludge out of communal waste might be filtered to recycle metals, plastics and water. (the sci-fi novelist Neal Stephenson already sort of thought of such a device, though not by graphene)

Graphene has different chemical/electric properties based on what element it's laid on. The graphene sheet thinness of one atom allows the overlap of electric fields of atoms below it.
Scientists still research these confusing combinations, alike to Horadric cube. Graphene + copper switches off the copper's ability to oxidate or corrode. But what about other elements? Will they one day emulate microscopic resistors, capacitors and inductors? Will they form self-powering print-on computers? Will they be better than the early promises of silicene?

And just a small tidbit at the end... If you damage graphene-coated material with laser or camera flash, fold it and use it as electrodes for a standard Li-ion battery, it'll become capable of charging or discharging many times faster Smile (10-100 times, some say)
Graphene definitely seems like an universally magical material that improves everything. It all sounds too good to be true, much like Emperor's new clothes graphene is too invisible by naked eye. Watch out for the 2012 1st April fake article, it is literally too good to be true.

Anyway, It makes me proud to be a carbon-based lifeform (take that, robots! Tongue ) and to listen to the Swedish band Carbon Based Lifeforms:

As for sources, it's just googling and I'm lazy to link it. But there was one source I can't find again no matter what, video of a guy on a conference showing off an early prototype of the graphene night vision, he had prototype with a small coin-sized looking glass, though he said they can be easily made bigger. He was also talking about water purification and windows pane solar cells. I can't find it anywhere, not even the group that unites these technologies.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
01-09-2012, 01:10 PM
RE: Graphene. Don't you just love it?
Bucky likes all his relatives. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-09-2012, 01:38 PM
the only thing I don't like about science is that it takes SOOOO long to make things available to everyone... I JUST HAVE ONE LIFE PEOPLE!

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
01-09-2012, 01:43 PM
(01-09-2012 01:38 PM)nach_in Wrote:  the only thing I don't like about science is that it takes SOOOO long to make things available to everyone... I JUST HAVE ONE LIFE PEOPLE!

Well who's fault is that? Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
01-09-2012, 01:44 PM
(01-09-2012 01:10 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Bucky likes all his relatives. Tongue

Seems like a relative statement. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
01-09-2012, 01:48 PM
(01-09-2012 01:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Seems like a relative statement. Drinking Beverage

Don't get me started. I'm trying to figure out how Goddel/Incompleteness can help me prove there is no god, (or rather why any statement about gods existence would be rendered meaningless because it's "relative" to being stated in this universe).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
01-09-2012, 01:52 PM
(01-09-2012 01:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 01:38 PM)nach_in Wrote:  the only thing I don't like about science is that it takes SOOOO long to make things available to everyone... I JUST HAVE ONE LIFE PEOPLE!

Well who's fault is that? Drinking Beverage

It's your fault Erxomai, it's your fault! Angry

01-09-2012, 02:04 PM
(01-09-2012 01:52 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 01:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Well who's fault is that? Drinking Beverage

It's your fault Erxomai, it's your fault! Angry

I will wire you a money order for $250,000US. I just need to get your credit card number and checking account info and a small deposit of $5,000 so I can verify that I can send the money to your account.

~Izel
01-09-2012, 02:19 PM
(01-09-2012 02:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 01:52 PM)nach_in Wrote:  It's your fault Erxomai, it's your fault! Angry

I will wire you a money order for $250,000US. I just need to get your credit card number and checking account info and a small deposit of $5,000 so I can verify that I can send the money to your account.

I don't have a credit card and you can't send me that much money through international transfer... sorry dude, but thanks anyway Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
01-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Yeah, the carbon sheet graphene is bucky balls' straight relative, right? Wink

I found out one more miraculous property of graphene - it makes people love big corporations. Nobody else but them can really bring such a gift in reasonable time and price.