Grass anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2013, 06:06 PM
RE: Grass anyone?
(04-06-2013 09:46 AM)kim Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 07:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Started growing my own grass.

Wheat grass? Looks fantastic - how long did it take? I've got all the stuff to do this but I never get around to doing it. Planned procrastination, I suppose. Dodgy

Me too. Had the kit for like 3 months before I actually started it. Now I'm sitting on a bunch of mason jars, cheesecloth and lentils, mung beans, chick peas, barley, chick peas, etc. trying to get motivated to make my own sprouts.

(04-06-2013 02:11 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I grow the (indoor) cat some grass out of oat. In one week it's full grown. How long does it take for wheat grass? Did you get a kit? How much do you use for a serving (shots or smoothies)?

About the same. Takes a couple of days to sprout and then another week or so to get to 5-6". I harvested it today by cutting it back to like 2". I want to see if it'll keep growing like my lawn so I don't have to keep replanting. All I got was one shot out of that. Probably need to start a couple more trays. ... Oat grass, hmmm ... I know I can juice barley grass, I'm gonna check out that oat grass. Smile

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
04-06-2013, 06:22 PM
They say you can get 2 growths out of it. I guess people rotate their trays.

I now have an Omega juicer and run it through 2 times and make sure any leftover pulp is completely dry. I have bought wheatgrass by the ton but have yet to grow my own - fuck, I'm lazy. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Oat grass is a little less sweet, I think. I think it has the same or similar benefits as wheat, though.

I'm about a week away from some basil, sage, chives and dill (potted just over two weeks ago). Grass is so much quicker.

Tray rotation is a good idea! Smile
04-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Ideally, I think you'd have 14 trays and spend about 30 minutes a day planting something, cutting something, soaking & draining something, and of course juicing. I think once you've found a groove it would become second nature.

Until you go on vacation and then your microcosm goes to shit. Sadcryface Laughat

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
07-06-2013, 10:44 PM
I grew my own this year too, but mine was in my yard. No more bald patches. Big Grin