Gratitude: Let's Be Happy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2014, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2014 03:50 PM by elconquistador.)
Gratitude: Let's Be Happy
As I move on with my life, I'm starting it today, and today I'm starting it with thankfulness, or gratitude.

Join in if you would like. If you're having a rough time, if you feel like you've hit a brick wall, if you feel alone...I'm here for you guys. Let's just be fucking grateful for you the awesome things in our lives.

I am grateful for:

1) This forum and all the people here that I share it with. Thank you all.
2) I'm grateful for my wife and all the awesome things she does for me. I'd be here forever if I had to make a list.
3) I'm grateful I wasn't the first atheist, but I am grateful and in debt to the first atheist or skeptic that stood up for reason and logic.
4) I'm grateful for all the scientists in America and doctors who do amazing things without getting the praise they truly deserve.
5) I'm happy to be human.
6) I am happy to be in San Diego
7) I'm happy that I have escaped Mormonism
8) I'm thankful for my psychiatrist, group therapists, and social worker for working with me.
9) I'm grateful for music, my piano, and ukulele that have consoled me my whole life.
10) I'm grateful to be an American.
11) I'm grateful to have food to eat.
12) I'm grateful to have a roof over my head.
13) I'm grateful that I have the opportunity to visit the freethinking community this saturday.
14) I'm grateful that I no longer work security.
15) I'm grateful for all the friends that have stayed by my side all these years.
16) I'm grateful for my computer.
17) I'm grateful for the freedom of speech and freedom from religion in the extreme case.
18) I'm grateful for my skills in programming, music, and writing. Or perhaps my interest and motivation in them because I might not be particularly, absolutely skillful just yet.
19) I'm grateful to be alive.
20) I'm grateful for my grandparents who don't treat me like the plague and don't feel the need to save be but invite my wife and I to dinner every Sunday.
21) I'm grateful for my in-laws. Nothing make me happier than being the gringo and being accepted fully into the Mexican culture and their family.

Please feel free to join in with me on my day of gratitude and first day of recovery and new beginnings and don't feel obligated to include so many things. Just to show gratitude for one little thing can make all the difference if you are having a hard time lately.

I love you all. Let's be happy.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like elconquistador's post
04-06-2014, 02:24 PM
RE: Gratitude: Let's Be Happy
I'm curious about how you deal with the "Higher Power" concept in recovery.
Glad you're feeling better and gratitude is always a good thing.
Smile
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
04-06-2014, 02:32 PM
(04-06-2014 02:24 PM)pablo628 Wrote:  I'm curious about how you deal with the "Higher Power" concept in recovery.
Glad you're feeling better and gratitude is always a good thing.
Smile

It's difficult and sometimes weird. Sometimes I catch my self praying to something external, but then I internalize it with something like "let's go Kyle, you got this. Use your skills, your personality, and will to be better and it will come."

I often meditate to deal with it as well. But the best part is just finding the things in reality that matter. Like computer science, my wife, my piano and uke, my city, the people here, new clubs and events. It's all starting to replace it all very well.

The mormon requires you to devote every aspect of your life to it, but once you can devote your life to so many other things...it replaces the religion and the idea of a deity quite nicely.

And then there is logic and rational, I cannot come to terms with the idea of a higher power, my thought process wont let me. So once I was able to escape the church, I was able to allow my mind to dictate my life, not the religion.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
[+] 3 users Like elconquistador's post
04-06-2014, 02:40 PM
You have a great list, many of those things would be on mine as well.

I am grateful that my parents raised my siblings and me in a secular home.

I'm grateful that my believer husband doesn't get all bent out of shape over my atheism, and that the kids self identify as agnostic.

I'm grateful that my family is happy and healthy.

I'm grateful that I can be a stay at home Mom.

I'm grateful to the landscaping guy who came to the house yesterday and made my yard look gorgeous - because my husband and I suck at it.

I'm grateful for the 4 little dogs up the street that are only semi- house trained, because they now make my house more attractive to buyers Wink

I'm grateful that tomorrow is the last day of school for the kids and we can stop getting up before the crack of dawn everyday.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
04-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Wow - that's a great list - sounds like someone's having a good day! Thumbsup

Tip: edit and put these on either side of your video link to make it show up in the frame --> [video=youtube] place your video here [/video]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-06-2014, 03:51 PM
(04-06-2014 02:46 PM)kim Wrote:  Wow - that's a great list - sounds like someone's having a good day! Thumbsup

Tip: edit and put these on either side of your video link to make it show up in the frame --> [video=youtube] place your video here [/video]

Oh thanks! The other two forums I use do it automatically, I didn't check to see if this one did too. Sorry Angel haha

04-06-2014, 04:10 PM
(04-06-2014 03:51 PM)elconquistador Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 02:46 PM)kim Wrote:  Wow - that's a great list - sounds like someone's having a good day! Thumbsup

Oh thanks! The other two forums I use do it automatically, I didn't check to see if this one did too. Sorry Angel haha

I've been here for years and I still can't do all those nifty tricks. Hell. I can't do any.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
04-06-2014, 04:13 PM

is that why when I do A video share link from youtube it shows up as a hyperlink rather than the video box? Facepalm

good to know Bowing now to write this down so I dont forget hehe. Thanks bunches for the tip, I am chat challenged Unsure

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
04-06-2014, 04:28 PM
(04-06-2014 04:13 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  

is that why when I do A video share link from youtube it shows up as a hyperlink rather than the video box? Facepalm

good to know Bowing now to write this down so I dont forget hehe. Thanks bunches for the tip, I am chat challenged Unsure

When you reply, there is an icon that looks like a tv with rabbit ears, and a drop down, use it.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
04-06-2014, 04:31 PM
(04-06-2014 04:28 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 04:13 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  is that why when I do A video share link from youtube it shows up as a hyperlink rather than the video box? Facepalm

When you reply, there is an icon that looks like a tv with rabbit ears, and a drop down, use it.

Facepalm awesome! I can't wait to try it *beams*...I am on duty right now, stuck on the ship, thankfully I can access TTA, but sadly not youtube, damn government firewalls Drooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post