Gratitude Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2017, 04:27 PM
RE: Gratitude Thread
I'll also add my new lifestyle, which consists of practicing music, and reading. It's a lot better than doing nothing.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
24-10-2017, 04:52 PM
Grateful for my family who, after I finished university, have let me stay at home until I find a job (may seem trivial but it's not in the context of my life).

Secondly and lastly, I'm mainly grateful for my partner. From last relationships I've never been trustful or had faith in other people close to me. However, no matter how low I have been she never ever changes the way she acts and treats me. Always supportive, helpful and patient. It will feel amazing when I finally show her it was all worth it! Her attitude to other people and in particular, me, is a huge motivator in me wanting to prove to her that her belief in me and other humans is absolutely worth it Smile

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
30-10-2017, 03:56 AM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2017 04:26 AM by OakTree500.)
Forgot to say, and I haven't checked the whole thread so others may have already said it, but:

I'm grateful for this forum and the people who post regularly here.

This time last year, I was going through some mental health issues, which coupled with a job that was overworking it's staff and dealing with some stuff from my childhood, which I hadn't processed until recently, made for a very bad time in my life.

Some opportunities came up and I moved on in the job front, and whilst trying to find a online forum to join, I found this place. Atheism had basically been the only real constant in my life, and even when I felt like I was losing my mind, I still knew where I stood on that topic....so thought I'd give it a go.

After 7ish months here, I've spoke to some very cool people from around the world, and despite the odd drive-by troll, we're all happy just to talk about whatever...and in all honesty, it's really helped me a lot. I can't really put into words how much it has helped, as these days I'm off the meds and a lot calmer that I used to be. Most of that is with help from medical professionals, but this place and it's very cool members have helped me maintain a state of "calm" I haven't known in years.

TTA is genuinely a highlight of my day (probably says a lot about my social life lol) , so thank you all, as it really does mean a whole lot to me.

Anyways, enough smushy stuff from me Smile

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like OakTree500's post
30-10-2017, 05:13 AM
(30-10-2017 03:56 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Forgot to say, and I haven't checked the whole thread so others may have already said it, but:

I'm grateful for this forum and the people who post regularly here.

This time last year, I was going through some mental health issues, which coupled with a job that was overworking it's staff and dealing with some stuff from my childhood, which I hadn't processed until recently, made for a very bad time in my life.

Some opportunities came up and I moved on in the job front, and whilst trying to find a online forum to join, I found this place. Atheism had basically been the only real constant in my life, and even when I felt like I was losing my mind, I still knew where I stood on that topic....so thought I'd give it a go.

After 7ish months here, I've spoke to some very cool people from around the world, and despite the odd drive-by troll, we're all happy just to talk about whatever...and in all honesty, it's really helped me a lot. I can't really put into words how much it has helped, as these days I'm off the meds and a lot calmer that I used to be. Most of that is with help from medical professionals, but this place and it's very cool members have helped me maintain a state of "calm" I haven't known in years.

TTA is genuinely a highlight of my day (probably says a lot about my social life lol) , so thank you all, as it really does mean a whole lot to me.

Anyways, enough smushy stuff from me Smile

Aw *hugs*

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
30-10-2017, 08:26 AM
I am grateful I got to binge season 2 of Stranger Things over the weekend.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
31-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Chopin. Seriously, listen to Chopin.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
31-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Grateful for this forum and several on it. Chatting with two friends from here now.

Grateful to the podcast, it's one of the highlights of my week.

Also grateful for a warm apartment on cold windy nights like this one.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Shai Hulud's post
31-10-2017, 11:50 PM
(23-10-2017 09:13 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(23-10-2017 07:05 PM)jennybee Wrote:  So what's your Gratitude?

I'm primarily grateful I could afford to retire. I really don't think I could have continued for too many more years, given the daily stresses of the job I left.

Got to go along with that. Being retired I'm grateful for the time to read so many books now and to be able to go to the gym regularly.

I'm grateful for my wife and dogs for their wonderful company every day, both at home and on walks.

I'm grateful that making my garden has given me an outlet for my creativity for so many years. I'm grateful to have trusted my own muse in that project and grateful to be able to see what is happening in it everyday, and to notice the changes over the seasons and over the years.

I'm always flummoxed when a theist argues that we as atheists can't be thankful because - who would we thank without God? (Dumbasses.)

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 3 users Like whateverist's post
01-11-2017, 03:50 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2017 04:00 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(31-10-2017 11:50 PM)whateverist Wrote:  I'm always flummoxed when a theist argues that we as atheists can't be thankful because - who would we thank without God?

Credit where credit is due. Theists don't properly show gratitude to those who really deserve it -- like to scientists in particular.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
01-11-2017, 04:40 AM
I'm grateful that

1. I have a kind, wise and nurturing family who taught me good things to do and bad things to avoid in life
2. I have received good school education, especially the few good teachers who taught me a great deal on manners, life, practices in courtesy, interpersonal relationships and so on.
3. Despite their imperialistic, historic atrocities towards our Indian ancestors before India fought for independence, the British Empire has cultivated and civilized the world and given us English language to speak
4. I have inherited genes from parents if at all and/or environmental and personal factors allowing me to be very creative and prodigious in some areas from very early childhood
5. The Sun has given us light and life along with water from Earth
6. I live in Australia with many very diverse, friendly Australians within a strong multicultural ethos
7. Richard Dawkins has liberated much of the humankind and deconverted them
8. Atheist movements are keeping up to keep religious indoctrinations at bay
9. Westernisation has encouraged, inspired and led Easterners to refresh and modernise their lifestyles
10. Serious and adverse mistakes and lessons including present guilt and remorse about the past have taught me to become a better person

As far as I can think of right now, that's about it.
[+] 2 users Like Thinker's post