Gratitude Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2017, 07:14 AM
RE: Gratitude Thread
That I was able to walk around and trick or treat with my family. Dealing with recent deaths of peers (especially a mom friend), I am not taking these moments for granted. Sorry to be so debbie downer, it was on my mind a lot last night.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
01-11-2017, 07:17 AM
(01-11-2017 07:14 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  That I was able to walk around and trick or treat with my family. Dealing with recent deaths of peers (especially a mom friend), I am not taking these moments for granted. Sorry to be so debbie downer, it was on my mind a lot last night.

*hugs*

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
01-11-2017, 09:03 AM
I'm grateful for family and friends.

I'm grateful to those who teach me things -- even when those experiences hurt.

I'm grateful I can still get up out of bed, put my feet underneath me, and move into the day.

I'm grateful to Carla, whose persistence helped me arrive at sobriety.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
02-11-2017, 07:56 AM
Who or what is everybody grateful to?

I’m grateful to my friend who made a bowl of pasta for me last night while we watched the World Series together. I’m not grateful for the car I drove to his house because I bought it. I’m not grateful for breakfast this morning because I bought it and will cook it with power I’m paying for. I feel like there’s a corny sentimental and religious hook when it comes to gratitude. I’m not thanking myself or god or some mystic universe. I’m glad I have breakfast as opposed to not having breakfast but gratitude implies a recipient of my appreciation.
02-11-2017, 08:05 AM
(02-11-2017 07:56 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Who or what is everybody grateful to?

I’m grateful to my friend who made a bowl of pasta for me last night while we watched the World Series together. I’m not grateful for the car I drove to his house because I bought it. I’m not grateful for breakfast this morning because I bought it and will cook it with power I’m paying for. I feel like there’s a corny sentimental and religious hook when it comes to gratitude. I’m not thanking myself or god or some mystic universe. I’m glad I have breakfast as opposed to not having breakfast but gratitude implies a recipient of my appreciation.

Gratitude could mean that in terms of thanking a deity. However, I don't think theists get to have the word since gratitude can mean a multitude of things and it is based on how you are using it in a sentence. But I hear what you are saying though.

For the purposes of this thread, I defined gratitude in keeping with Psychology Today's definition: "Gratitude is an emotion expressing appreciation for what one has as opposed to, for example, a consumer-driven emphasis on what one wants." Gratitude for the purpose of this thread is in terms of being happy for what you have over what you don't have. Stopping to realize all of the great things you have in your life since so often we get caught up in the negative (or things we want to have but don't) it's easy to miss all of the great parts we do have in our lives.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
02-11-2017, 08:07 AM
At work.

I'm greatful for having the chance to cross paths and getting to know Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
02-11-2017, 08:10 AM
I don’t think you can appreciate something without a recipient of your appreciation. It’s coded religion.
02-11-2017, 08:15 AM
(02-11-2017 08:07 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

I'm greatful for having the chance to cross paths and getting to know Banjo.

That’s a great a example of the problem with woo. Instead of saying directly you’re grateful to Banjo for being a good dude you give thanks to the random chance that brought you together. You’re thanking some kind of force that doesn’t exist.
02-11-2017, 08:17 AM
At work.

Ah..... *Nods* Missed the 'Spirit' of the thread. Thumbsup

No worries.

Had I more time to marshal my thoughts and, maybe, be able to type the post would read very differently.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
02-11-2017, 08:20 AM
(02-11-2017 08:10 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I don’t think you can appreciate something without a recipient of your appreciation. It’s coded religion.

I understand if you feel that way and might not want to participate in the thread due to that. All cool Thumbsup That said, a lot of people are participating in the thread and understand the definition in terms of this thread has nothing to do with religion. I'd really like to keep this thread about gratitude and the definition I provided and not turn it into a debate thread about the use of the word.