Gratitude Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2017, 08:24 AM
RE: Gratitude Thread
(02-11-2017 08:15 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 08:07 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

I'm greatful for having the chance to cross paths and getting to know Banjo.

That’s a great a example of the problem with woo. Instead of saying directly you’re grateful to Banjo for being a good dude you give thanks to the random chance that brought you together. You’re thanking some kind of force that doesn’t exist.

Chance is not necessarily about woo. It can have something to do with statistics of said outcome. Random events happen based on statistical output.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2017, 08:28 AM
No thanks. I’d rather point out how religious woo is still polluting the minds of atheists.
02-11-2017, 08:29 AM
(02-11-2017 08:24 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 08:15 AM)ImFred Wrote:  That’s a great a example of the problem with woo. Instead of saying directly you’re grateful to Banjo for being a good dude you give thanks to the random chance that brought you together. You’re thanking some kind of force that doesn’t exist.

Chance is not necessarily about woo. It can have something to do with statistics of said outcome. Random events happen based on statistical output.

Do you say thank you to nobody?
02-11-2017, 08:32 AM
(02-11-2017 08:28 AM)ImFred Wrote:  No thanks. I’d rather point out how religious woo is still polluting the minds of atheists.

That's fine but could you make your own thread?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
02-11-2017, 08:33 AM
(02-11-2017 08:28 AM)ImFred Wrote:  No thanks. I’d rather point out how religious woo is still polluting the minds of atheists.

Or maybe some atheists can understand that not everything has to be about religion and are able to view words in their intended context.

[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
02-11-2017, 08:34 AM
At work.

Ah, having perused some of the opening posts of the thread I see my entry into the field wasn't off the mark. Good-O! Smile

Personally? I think you're conflating a few things I'mFred. Consider

And yes, I do 'Count my blessings' as it were. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
02-11-2017, 08:38 AM
(02-11-2017 08:29 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 08:24 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Chance is not necessarily about woo. It can have something to do with statistics of said outcome. Random events happen based on statistical output.

Do you say thank you to nobody?

I say thank you to people who do things for me to show my appreciation. But gratitude can also mean expressing appreciation for what you have. You can be an atheist and be happy with what you have or appreciate the people or things you have in your life. The definition of appreciate is to recognize the full worth of.

02-11-2017, 11:13 AM
(02-11-2017 08:32 AM)jennybee Wrote:  

That's fine but could you make your own thread?

Hell, I’m just grateful for this one.
02-11-2017, 11:38 AM
(02-11-2017 11:13 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 08:32 AM)jennybee Wrote:  That's fine but could you make your own thread?

Hell, I’m just grateful for this one.

Good now go write that in your gratitude journal Tongue Wink Laugh out load

02-11-2017, 12:06 PM
I am grateful:

- for my wife and daughter, my parents and siblings
- that I escaped from religious indoctrination
- for my job
- that I am still alive at age 54 (especially since a friend born a day before me died at age 47 from a heart attack)
- that I can run (as in the sport)
- for the country I was born into
- for Presidential term limits given the current White House occupant Tongue

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 4 users Like Impulse's post