Gravity waves from the Big Bang

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2014, 07:02 AM
RE: Gravity waves from the Big Bang
(19-03-2014 05:11 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Isn't the universe [b]expanding?[b]
I wouldn't think there would be gravity waves or wobbles or whatever if it wasn't an explosion.

I typed out a really long response to this and then someone sent me this short video that explains it very well with some visuals to aid.

The Hitchhikers Guide to Gravitational Waves

Basically, because the universe expanded so quickly in a short period of time, the shock of expanding to billions of light years and then slowing to a crawl (relatively speaking) caused ripples in the fabric of space. These ripples are visible in the Cosmic Microwave Background that is the barrier of the visible universe.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2014, 07:08 AM
(21-03-2014 07:02 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(19-03-2014 05:11 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Isn't the universe [b]expanding?[b]
I wouldn't think there would be gravity waves or wobbles or whatever if it wasn't an explosion.

I typed out a really long response to this and then someone sent me this short video that explains it very well with some visuals to aid.

Basically, because the universe expanded so quickly in a short period of time, the shock of expanding to billions of light years and then slowing to a crawl (relatively speaking) caused ripples in the fabric of space. These ripples are visible in the Cosmic Microwave Background that is the barrier of the visible universe.
Yeah I know.
I knew it was expanding and NOT exploding before I posted on this thread. (I also knew what the CMB is.)
Thank you though.
I just didn't know why it would have ripples.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
21-03-2014, 07:19 AM
(21-03-2014 07:08 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 07:02 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I typed out a really long response to this and then someone sent me this short video that explains it very well with some visuals to aid.

Yeah I know.
I knew it was expanding and NOT exploding before I posted on this thread. (I also knew what the CMB is.)
Thank you though.
I just didn't know why it would have ripples.

When the entire universe expanded at that rate and then suddenly slowed down, it didn't do so uniformly. There was incredible turbulence and all that newly formed mass roiling about. Gravity, like all information, can only propagate through space at the speed of light. Suddenly, there was an incredible amount of space for those gravity waves to cross. Just as we see the radiation from the CMB 13 bly after it was emitted, we're now seeing the gravity waves from the same time period.

It kind of was an explosion in that in the moment of inflation, everything was in a giant cloud of expanding, superheated plasma. Imagine an indestructible balloon with a grenade in it. When that grenade goes off, it's going to cause the balloon to inflate to an enormous size very quickly. When it gets to the largest size it's going to, the entire surface of the balloon would "shudder" as it's momentum changes. It's this shudder that causes the ripples in space.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
21-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Let the eggheads tell it...

Pretty clear summary, without excessive egghead-speak. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post