Great Atheist Episodes on Star trek: TOS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Great Atheist Episodes on Star trek: TOS
I hadn't watched The old series Trek in years, I realized I hadn't watched it since I became atheist. It occurred to me that there are several episodes that have a definite atheist and/or anti-religious message in them, here are a few:

Return of The Archons: A city is under the spell of a religious cult, what do you think Kirk will do?

Who Mourns For Adonais? The god Apollo captures the Enterprise and forces them to beam down to his planet to worship him. Do you think Kirk will go along with this? Hell no!!

The Paradise Syndrome: Kirk loses his memory on a planet with Native Americans on it? They revere him as a god, while he struggles to remember who he is.

The Apple: The crew beam down to a planet where the natives are controlled by a supposed god. They seem happy, but will Kirk leave them alone? I think not!

Couldn't find the full episode on youtube, but found it here:

The Apple

The way To Eden: A group of space hippies looking for the mythological planet Eden, they find it, but it doesn’t turn out like they expect. The ending has eerie similarities to Jim Jones’ cult, nine years before the tragedy in Guyana took place.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
04-08-2014, 06:06 PM
RE: Great Atheist Episodes on Star trek: TOS
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098382/

[Image: MV5BMjI2OTExMDQxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTEy...14_AL_.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
04-08-2014, 06:30 PM
Oh yeah - "Why does God need a starship?" classic!

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
05-08-2014, 04:34 AM
What do you think of Star Trek Continues:

?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
05-08-2014, 04:58 AM
Not to derail this thread, please don't. But the Isreal/Palestine/Gaza conflict reminds me of the original Star Trek episode where Kirk couldn't get the two "Black/white" enemies to stop fighting.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
05-08-2014, 05:29 AM
(04-08-2014 05:30 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I hadn't watched The old series Trek in years

Ditto. And I didn't see all of them when the first aired.

My OCD doesn't allow me to move on to later serieses until I've seen the original ones in the right order so your post got me all excited and moist.

But...

"Not available in your country"

Fuckers!

05-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Argh! I can't believe they limited it like that. Maybe going through a proxy service that disguises your IP could get around it.

05-08-2014, 07:42 AM
(05-08-2014 04:34 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  What do you think of Star Trek Continues:

?

I'll have to look at some of those.

15-08-2014, 09:26 PM
(05-08-2014 04:34 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  What do you think of Star Trek Continues:

?
It ok. I thought the one about the mirror universe was pretty good.
15-08-2014, 09:30 PM
And yes Star Trek has always been based on humanist ideas. It's even more bold in many episodes of The Next Generation. I believe Roddenberry was an atheist so there's no surprise that the show was atheistic in nature.
Shit I love Trek. Maybe too much!
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post