Great Atheist Episodes on Star trek: TOS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2014, 04:22 AM
RE: Great Atheist Episodes on Star trek: TOS
(15-08-2014 09:30 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  And yes Star Trek has always been based on humanist ideas. It's even more bold in many episodes of The Next Generation. I believe Roddenberry was an atheist so there's no surprise that the show was atheistic in nature.
Shit I love Trek. Maybe too much!

"Who Watches the Watchers" is a true atheistic episode of TNG, it basically rubbishes religion & religious beliefs.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2014, 08:39 AM
(16-08-2014 04:22 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 09:30 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  And yes Star Trek has always been based on humanist ideas. It's even more bold in many episodes of The Next Generation. I believe Roddenberry was an atheist so there's no surprise that the show was atheistic in nature.
Shit I love Trek. Maybe too much!

"Who Watches the Watchers" is a true atheistic episode of TNG, it basically rubbishes religion & religious beliefs.
Yeah. Ya gotta love the Picard speech about how he won't allow the Mintokins replace reason for religion.

I used to post on a Star Trek forum and you might be surprised how many anti science fundamentalists are Trek fans. I can't understand how they relate to such an obvious humanist ideal. I guess I shouldn't be too confused by this. They don't seem to give anything, aside from their book, much thought.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
16-08-2014, 04:37 PM
I enjoyed the "Pilgrim of Eternity."

Just because YOU believe in fairies doesn't mean anybody else should.
16-08-2014, 04:51 PM
The Devil's Due (episode)

One of the more interesting TNG episodes dealing with supposed deities.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-08-2014, 10:29 PM
I grew up with the original Star Trek.

I loved the series and recognize all the titles. Loved The Trouble With Tribbles, but who didn't? I still want one, by the way!

What was the name of the episode with this rock-like creature. You find out she's pregnant and McCoy heals her with something like cement? I remember her telling Spock "No kill I". So sweet!

Looking back, I have an idea that Gene cryptically added in his atheist views whenever he could. Yes "And The Children Shall Lead" may have paralleled how children become brainwashed into believing that god is a loving creator, when in actuality, he's the destroyer.

I haven't watched any since my conversion. Hm, I'd like to do that now. Thumbsup

And Mr Roddenberry was indeed an atheist.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.”
― Gene Roddenberry

"I handed them a script and they turned it down. It was too controversial. It talked about concepts like, 'Who is God?' The Enterprise meets God in space; God is a life form, and I wanted to suggest that there may have been, at one time in the human beginning, an alien entity that early man believed was God, and kept those legends. But I also wanted to suggest that it might have been as much the Devil as it was God. After all, what kind of god would throw humans out of Paradise for eating the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge. One of the Vulcans on board, in a very logical way, says, 'If this is your God, he's not very impressive. He's got so many psychological problems; he's so insecure. He demands worship every seven days. He goes out and creates faulty humans and then blames them for his own mistakes. He's a pretty poor excuse for a supreme being.”
― Gene Roddenberry

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like CindysRain's post
17-08-2014, 09:30 AM
(16-08-2014 10:29 PM)CindysRain Wrote:  I grew up with the original Star Trek.

I loved the series and recognize all the titles. Loved The Trouble With Tribbles, but who didn't? I still want one, by the way!

What was the name of the episode with this rock-like creature. You find out she's pregnant and McCoy heals her with something like cement? I remember her telling Spock "No kill I". So sweet!

Looking back, I have an idea that Gene cryptically added in his atheist views whenever he could. Yes "And The Children Shall Lead" may have paralleled how children become brainwashed into believing that god is a loving creator, when in actuality, he's the destroyer.

I haven't watched any since my conversion. Hm, I'd like to do that now. Thumbsup

And Mr Roddenberry was indeed an atheist.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.”
― Gene Roddenberry

"I handed them a script and they turned it down. It was too controversial. It talked about concepts like, 'Who is God?' The Enterprise meets God in space; God is a life form, and I wanted to suggest that there may have been, at one time in the human beginning, an alien entity that early man believed was God, and kept those legends. But I also wanted to suggest that it might have been as much the Devil as it was God. After all, what kind of god would throw humans out of Paradise for eating the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge. One of the Vulcans on board, in a very logical way, says, 'If this is your God, he's not very impressive. He's got so many psychological problems; he's so insecure. He demands worship every seven days. He goes out and creates faulty humans and then blames them for his own mistakes. He's a pretty poor excuse for a supreme being.”
― Gene Roddenberry

Devil in the dark if I remember correctly.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
17-08-2014, 08:39 PM
(17-08-2014 09:30 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Devil in the dark if I remember correctly.

That's it! Thanx Thumbsup

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
17-08-2014, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 04:45 PM by TheGulegon.)
I loved me some Star Trek TNG, and still do. Though a couple days ago I tied to watch the episode entitled Who Watches the Watchers, but couldn't shake the feeling like it had inspired ancient alien theorists at some point Sad

[edit] Oops! TOS! My bad!