Great Christian Fallacies.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2013, 11:04 AM
RE: Great Christian Fallacies.
Mr. Woof:

You hit the nail with that one. Right on! You've made a fantastic theological point. We born again Christians teach one is saved by trusting in Jesus, not by doing good deeds. Clearly you recognize how every other major and minor religion one may think of says, "Be a good person" while Jesus says, "Trust me." You are not far from the Kingdom of God!

The other day I caught a speeding ticket. The cop started to write it out and I protested, "But, I try to be a good driver the rest of the time and do my best as much as I can." He said in reply, "Sure, and you know what, I'll let this ticket go. I know you're a pretty good guy, but wait a minute, am I supposed to reward you for following the law, being a good citizen and driving safely, since it is in your power to do so and you're supposed to anyway? Wait, how about:

I GIVE YOU ETERNAL LIFE for mostly doing most of the time what you're supposed to do, anyway."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2013, 11:14 AM
(07-06-2013 11:04 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Mr. Woof:

You hit the nail with that one. Right on! You've made a fantastic theological point. We born again Christians teach one is saved by trusting in Jesus, not by doing good deeds. Clearly you recognize how every other major and minor religion one may think of says, "Be a good person" while Jesus says, "Trust me." You are not far from the Kingdom of God!

The other day I caught a speeding ticket. The cop started to write it out and I protested, "But, I try to be a good driver the rest of the time and do my best as much as I can." He said in reply, "Sure, and you know what, I'll let this ticket go. I know you're a pretty good guy, but wait a minute, am I supposed to reward you for following the law, being a good citizen and driving safely, since it is in your power to do so and you're supposed to anyway? Wait, how about:

I GIVE YOU ETERNAL LIFE for mostly doing most of the time what you're supposed to do, anyway."

This right here is why Christianity is an evil religion. It promotes blind faith over good deeds.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
07-06-2013, 11:37 AM
(07-06-2013 11:14 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

This right here is why Christianity is an evil religion. It promotes blind faith over good deeds.

Some sects do and some sects don't. And then there's Calvinism. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2013, 03:02 PM

The bible also teaches faith without works is dead.
When i was a young man people would come up to me asking me to accept Jesus as my personal saviour. I think some do that and think Jesus acceptance provides a sort of immunity and that their deed can be forgiven by a priest rather regularly.

Very young in life I attended S.D.A. meetings;they pushed the ten commandments very strongly, works oriented, and have been accused of being latter day Galations.
My knocking on this forum, as I recall has been largely against religious doctrines, not Jesus. The trinity was invented later in the piece. The Jesus /God dichotomy comes across as unclear as scripture speaks of God as 'superior' to Jesus and also equal.

To use alcoholics anonymous terminology I accept God as I understand the concept and I don't see Jesus as a liar.
08-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Hey I brought your Free Will policy to my "know it all" Bible thumping co worker and here's what he had to say...

The Free Will Fallacy Folly. This assumes that the purpose for a creation or existence is to achieve biological efficiency. Indeed this assumption is used to justify a theory of evolution. It states that evolution is the slow, gradual, larger adaptation process used by a species or subset to achieve a greater efficiency as defined by reproduction rate versus longevity. If the sole purpose of life is efficiency as defined by above then single or simple cell organisms would be the stopping point of evolution. Millions of offspring vs days of living. Yet life did not stop there. Morals contradict survivability, Culture does not add life expectancy, and being the single most complicated organism around does not give us title of most biologically superior. We are dreadfully inefficient. Efficiency is not God's point. A purposely flawed airplane is very intriguing and I can't explain that. But I love my ability to question it, which isn't as efficient as procuring sustenance for family... Creepy by the way how you find me on Facebook to send my a wonderfully debatable topic. It reminds me of two gentlemen candidly discussing over afternoon tea. Which is a position I shall maintain. Cheers.
P.S. great title alliteration too.

Wondering where he got the efficiency bit. Anyways, have fun with this one. I haven't replied to him yet since those are the times where I actually need to be ready to deal with a lot of self-righteous bullshit.

Mark
08-06-2013, 10:53 PM
(08-06-2013 10:32 PM)Zazen Wrote:  Hey I brought your Free Will policy to my "know it all" Bible thumping co worker and here's what he had to say...

The Free Will Fallacy Folly. This assumes that the purpose for a creation or existence is to achieve biological efficiency. Indeed this assumption is used to justify a theory of evolution. It states that evolution is the slow, gradual, larger adaptation process used by a species or subset to achieve a greater efficiency as defined by reproduction rate versus longevity. If the sole purpose of life is efficiency as defined by above then single or simple cell organisms would be the stopping point of evolution. Millions of offspring vs days of living. Yet life did not stop there. Morals contradict survivability, Culture does not add life expectancy, and being the single most complicated organism around does not give us title of most biologically superior. We are dreadfully inefficient. Efficiency is not God's point. A purposely flawed airplane is very intriguing and I can't explain that. But I love my ability to question it, which isn't as efficient as procuring sustenance for family... Creepy by the way how you find me on Facebook to send my a wonderfully debatable topic. It reminds me of two gentlemen candidly discussing over afternoon tea. Which is a position I shall maintain. Cheers.

Wondering where he got the efficiency bit. Anyways, have fun with this one. I haven't replied to him yet since those are the times where I actually need to be ready to deal with a lot of self-righteous bullshit.

Mark

Ok I had to read that like 10 times to begin to make any headway on it, but your friend does not understand evolution. Efficiency has nothing to do with anything. It's all about survival and passing on genes doesn't matter how you do it. Salman are highly evolved but all die after a single breeding. The rest is him building strawmen.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
08-06-2013, 11:01 PM
(08-06-2013 10:53 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 10:32 PM)Zazen Wrote:  Hey I brought your Free Will policy to my "know it all" Bible thumping co worker and here's what he had to say...

Mark

Ok I had to read that like 10 times to begin to make any headway on it, but your friend does not understand evolution. Efficiency has nothing to do with anything. It's all about survival and passing on genes doesn't matter how you do it. Salman are highly evolved but all die after a single breeding. The rest is him building strawmen.

Actually, (and maybe I read your response wrong) the straw man was built in the second sentence, before the conjecture.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2013, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 09:41 PM by fstratzero.)

Jeffrey Dahmer is one of America's most well-known serial killers. Between 1978 and 1991, he is known to have killed 17 men and boys. His murders were particularly gruesome, involving rape, torture, and cannibalism. I'll spare you any more detail than that. Dahmer was finally arrested in 1991.

While serving time at Wisconsin's Columbia Correctional Institution, Jeffrey declared himself a born-again Christian after reading some Evangelical literature his father had sent him. He even asked minister Roy Ratcliff to come to the prison to baptize him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlZv7V-Gixg

Full Documentary on this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QywKy2VF1pA

Your god is soo amazing he'll let anybody into heaven that confesses their sins. *implied sarcasm*

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
13-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Quote:Jeffrey Dahmer is one of America's most well-known serial killers. Between 1978 and 1991, he is known to have killed 17 men and boys. His murders were particularly gruesome, involving rape, torture, and cannibalism. I'll spare you any more detail than that. Dahmer was finally arrested in 1991.

While serving time at Wisconsin's Columbia Correctional Institution, Jeffrey declared himself a born-again Christian after reading some Evangelical literature his father had sent him. He even asked minister Roy Ratcliff to come to the prison to baptize him.

Are you saying you are inherently better than Dahmer? And if so, why? On what basis do you promote to us your redemptive qualities?

Are you saying as a naturalist you are unfamiliar with forcible sex in the animal kingdom? There are creatures that eat their mate after, are you saying cannibalism could not possibly exist in any aspect of human culture? If so, is this an evolved or genetic characteristic you have empirical evidence for?

Are you saying you didn't know the cross was for all of man's sin, and that a Dahmer, a Hitler, a Pol Pot or an aggressive, embittered Atheist may become a Christian at some point in their lives?
13-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Re: Great Christian Fallacies.
Freewill is an illusion, but one we're willing to live with......

Sent From My NEO x5....
[+] 1 user Likes Stephen Charchuk's post