Great Youtube Videos :D

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
07-11-2016, 07:15 AM
RE: Great Youtube Videos :D
When you see a magic act like Shin Lim and you have no idea how he does the things he does, do you conclude that it's "real magic" or do you file it away as someone so talented and gifted that he is able to fool your senses ?

If talent and skill can duplicate precisely what you perceive as real magic, then it's most likely what he used is talent & skill.

Saying he did the tricks he did using real magic is a much larger claim because real magic hasn't been shown to exist. Thus you would need some very extraordinary evidence.

The same is said between an imaginary god and a "real" god. When both of these concepts are identical in every way, then you conclude that all gods are imaginary until such a time when extraordinary evidence can be presented to distinguish one from the other.

Love these videos.
Can't wait to see more.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
07-11-2016, 09:01 AM
Dennett has a great line about "real magic"

Quote:The analogy can be highly illuminating, as the following account by LEE SIEGEL on the reception of her work on magic can illustrate it: “I’m writing a book on magic”, I explain, and I’m asked, “Real magic?” By real magic people mean miracles, thaumaturgical acts, and supernatural powers. “No”, I answer: “Conjuring tricks, not real magic”. Real magic, in other words, refers to the magic that is not real, while the magic that is real, that can actually be done, is not real magic.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
07-11-2016, 09:05 AM
(07-11-2016 07:15 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  When you see a magic act like Shin Lim and you have no idea how he does the things he does, do you conclude that it's "real magic" or do you file it away as someone so talented and gifted that he is able to fool your senses?

I have no idea how he did what he did. I know that my senses were expertly fooled and I have no accurate explanation how he did what he did. But just because I can’t explain it I don’t fall to me knees and worship the guy. I would pay money to see him perform though.

Perhaps this is the difference between people like us and “them”. When they can’t explain something the immediate fall back is gawdidit, for us is “let’s find out”.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
07-11-2016, 09:22 AM
(07-11-2016 07:15 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Love these videos.
Can't wait to see more.

Shawn Farquhar is the reigning card trick king, he’s funny and what he does even Penn & Teller can’t explain!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
07-11-2016, 10:01 AM
Discovered the Farting Preacher videos yesterday. Hilarious!
07-11-2016, 10:29 AM
(07-11-2016 10:01 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Discovered the Farting Preacher videos yesterday. Hilarious!

Farting Preacher video, you say???

Oh you MUST share the farts. It's a Thinking Atheist forum requirement.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
07-11-2016, 01:45 PM
Imo one of the best and simplest examples of Sam Harris being Sam Harris

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
[+] 5 users Like Velvet's post
07-11-2016, 05:17 PM
(07-11-2016 10:29 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(07-11-2016 10:01 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Discovered the Farting Preacher videos yesterday. Hilarious!

Farting Preacher video, you say???

Oh you MUST share the farts. It's a Thinking Atheist forum requirement.

07-11-2016, 10:17 PM
I've posted this one before but it fits well here:

Though this one is funnier:

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
08-11-2016, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2016 06:38 AM by Velvet.)
(07-11-2016 07:15 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  If talent and skill can duplicate precisely what you perceive as real magic, then it's most likely what he used is talent & skill.

Saying he did the tricks he did using real magic is a much larger claim because real magic hasn't been shown to exist. Thus you would need some very extraordinary evidence.

The same is said between an imaginary god and a "real" god. When both of these concepts are identical in every way, then you conclude that all gods are imaginary until such a time when extraordinary evidence can be presented to distinguish one from the other.

Well said Rahn, and the same concept would apply to God ''not needing a cause or coming from nothing'', and the Universe itself ''not needing a cause or coming from nothing''.

Its not that we really think that the universe came from nothing or that it is indeed causeless, its just that IF WE WERE to assume something, we would only be rational to assume the less preposterous scenarios.

And we do have an example of an universe, and no example of a God yet.

Just Occam's razor defeating the supposed rationality of any god hypothesis.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien