Great Zen Buddhist Podcast

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2012, 10:20 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2012 11:52 PM by PeacefulSkeptic.)
Great Zen Buddhist Podcast
Hey y'all. Check out this podcast and tell me what you think:

Click this link, then select the "POD" button on the talk entitled "Enlightenment and Sansara." It's the second one. (around 17 minutes.)

The more I read expert commentaries (Christmas Humphreys, Alan Watts, Suzuki), the more I am understanding the Zen philosophy. Chinese/Japanese Zen, when stripped of its traditional Hindu rituals, is entirely atheistic. The only thing that is religious about Zen are practitioners that routinely meditate or celebrate traditions.

The speaker (Venerable Eshu) speaks entirely metaphorically about Nirvana and enlightenment. In the Zen tradition, "soul" seems equivalent to the western use of "mind" or "personal consciousness."

Aren't his observations valid?:
  • Humans oftentimes view objects positively or negatively.
  • The world, being chaotic, goes through periods in which one's circumstances are either prosperous in any way, or withering in any way.
  • If we think of ourselves, basically, as a "cosmic cog in the machine that is the chaotic machine that is the universe," it is very cathartic and soothing. If we get rid of this differentiation between the subjective self and the workings of the cosmos, we experience a sense of freedom.
  • In life, one is bound to go through both difficulties and efficiencies.

This seems like a great way to view the world.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes PeacefulSkeptic's post
29-07-2012, 01:28 AM
RE: Great Zen Buddhist Podcast
Zazen is inherently nonsecular.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-07-2012, 07:42 PM
RE: Great Zen Buddhist Podcast
(29-07-2012 01:28 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Zazen is inherently nonsecular.

I found this insightful when you posted this on my other thread. I see now how it has to be inherently secular.

What did you think of the talk?