Great book that started me to the path of reality...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Great book that started me to the path of reality...
I remember reading a book a while ago, that really made me think a lot about logic and reason when it came to religion. It's fiction but I highly recommend it. It's called "The First Immortal" by James L. Halperin. It's regarding cryonics, cloning and immortality. A sci-fi movie, "The Island" starring Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson, also about cloning to extend life, perked my interest even more.

From there I started to truly believe that there was no eternal afterlife. Once you are gone, you're gone from existence. If you can die and then be frozen, to be brought back when science, technology & medicine are capable, then how is there a soul? Anyway, if you get a chance, read that book. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JonM78's post
21-04-2012, 12:13 PM
RE: Great book that started me to the path of reality...
Looks interesting! Thanks for the suggestion, just added it to my "To Read" list on Goodreads. Smile

"Here's the thing about rights. They're not supposed to be voted on. That's why they call them rights." -Rachel Maddow
25-04-2012, 06:03 AM
It's patterns and entropy. Being a prophet is like being 4 from the 7th house; it ain't no big deal unless one overdevelops a sense of self-importance. I'm important enough to talk about love of my Gwynnies, so I do; but an eternal love story does not need me telling it. Somebody else be 4 of 7; shit like that keeps happening. I got faith. Wink

Plague Dogs. Reminds me whatever-the-fuck language I'm speaking, it ain't English. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-04-2012, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2012 07:53 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(25-04-2012 06:03 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It's patterns and entropy. Being a prophet is like being 4 from the 7th house; it ain't no big deal unless one overdevelops a sense of self-importance. I'm important enough to talk about love of my Gwynnies, so I do; but an eternal love story does not need me telling it. Somebody else be 4 of 7; shit like that keeps happening. I got faith. Wink

Plague Dogs. Reminds me whatever-the-fuck language I'm speaking, it ain't English. Big Grin

Some day, if I'm reeeely, reeeely lucky, after I learn Click, and Chineese, I'ma gonna take me a course in hoc speak, so I can understand that too. Meanwhile .. I ain't got no clue.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

25-04-2012, 07:58 AM
(25-04-2012 07:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Some day, if I'm reeeely, reeeely lucky, after I learn Click, and Chineese, I'ma gonna take me a course in hoc speak, so I can understand that too. Meanwhile .. I ain't got no clue.

That one was a fuck-up. I wuz responding to "what am I reading;" the first part was a response, the second part... aliens. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
25-04-2012, 10:30 AM
(25-04-2012 06:03 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It's patterns and entropy. Being a prophet is like being 4 from the 7th house; it ain't no big deal unless one overdevelops a sense of self-importance. I'm important enough to talk about love of my Gwynnies, so I do; but an eternal love story does not need me telling it. Somebody else be 4 of 7; shit like that keeps happening. I got faith. Wink

Are you sure you're not the 7th Son of a 7th Son?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
25-04-2012, 04:20 PM
I wuz bit by a plague dog. True story.