Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
06-01-2017, 04:00 PM
RE: Great quotes
O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Shakespear - Hamlet

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
07-01-2017, 12:55 PM
[Image: wall_decal_quote_balanced_diet_is_a_cookie_s.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
07-01-2017, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 04:46 PM by Kernel Sohcahtoa.)
Below are some of my favorite quotes from Inherit The Wind. Please note that the first quote is taken directly from the play while the second quote appeared in the 1960 film. Hence, IMO, I thought that posting the two quotes and reading the second quote as a continuation of the first, is interesting.

Henry Drummond (character): "It's the loneliest feeling in the world-to find yourself standing up when everybody else is sitting down. To have everybody look at you and say, 'What's the matter with him?' I know. I know what it feels like. Walking down an empty street, listening to the sound of your own footsteps. Shutters closed, blinds drawn, doors locked against you. And you aren't sure whether you're walking toward something, or if you're just walking away." (Robert E. Lee, pg 37 from Inherit The Wind ) *(please refer to the note below)

Henry Drummond (character) "...But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, “If you let me in, I’ll live the way you want me to live, and I’ll think the way you want me to think,” and all the blinds’ll go up and all the windows will open, and you’ll never be lonely, ever again." From the film Inherit the Wind (1960)

References

* Lawrence, Jerome and Lee, Robert E. (2000). Inherit The Wind. USA: The Dramatists Play Service INC.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 1 user Likes Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
07-01-2017, 09:40 PM
Posted this one before but damnit it's so damn good.

"For in the lack of humor lie all the seeds if evil and destruction. People who see themselves as being worthy of admiration, and who cannot conceive of themselves as ever being a cause for laughter, are far too serious for their own good, and even worse, they generally believe they have a calling to impress the importance of their beliefs on others. God save us all from humorless men, for they are also merciless and implacable."

-Jack Whyte, Pg 466, The Eagle
[+] 3 users Like Gilgamesh's post
08-01-2017, 01:57 AM
Nationalism of one kind or another was the cause of most of the genocide of the twentieth century. Flags are bits of colored cloth that governments use first to shrink-wrap people's minds and then as ceremonial shrouds to bury the dead. When independent, thinking people begin to rally under flags, when writers, painters, musicians, film makers suspend their judgment and blindly yoke their art to the service of the nation it's time for all of us to sit up and worry.

Arundathi Roy.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
08-01-2017, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2017 01:00 AM by Kernel Sohcahtoa.)
"As a leader, if you always have your subordinates executing your plans and ideas, then they will find flaws in them and find ways to work around them. In contrast, if you encourage and challenge your subordinates to execute their own plans and ideas, then they will do their best to iron out any flaws in them (they just might ask you for helpSmile) and work toward the successful execution of them." MSG Alexander, who was a tactical officer and mentor at the military school that I attended as a teenager.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 2 users Like Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
08-01-2017, 08:05 PM
(08-01-2017 01:17 PM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote:  "As a leader, if you always have your subordinates executing your plans and ideas, then they will find flaws in them and find ways to work around them. In contrast, if you encourage and challenge your subordinates to execute their own plans and ideas, then they will do their best to iron out any flaws in them (they just might ask you for helpSmile) and work toward the successful execution of them." Sgt Alexander, who was a tactical officer and mentor at the military school that I attended as a teenager.

As a manager and/or supervisor, I've always striven to allow a person to find their own potential. It's great to see them succeed, and if they are floundering, to help them out. If they are just fuck-ups, I try to get them gone. They need to find a place where they can succeed, elsewhere. Doesn't always mean fired.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
10-01-2017, 09:31 AM
"Shit in both hands, wish you had another."

--J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
10-01-2017, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 10:59 AM by Grasshopper.)
"She would of been a good woman if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life." -- The Misfit, in Flannery O'Connor's "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" (you'll have to read the story for context -- it's worth it!)
10-01-2017, 11:19 AM
(10-01-2017 09:31 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  "Shit in both hands, wish you had another."

--J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

"Eternal salvation or three times your money back!"

-J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Or maybe it's just in their promotional literature... Consider

Either way Big Grin Laugh out load

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post