Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
17-01-2017, 06:21 AM
RE: Great quotes
(17-01-2017 06:08 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-01-2017 02:05 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deducted from it.

Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel.

"Deduced" I think is the word, amigo. "Deducted from" means "subtracted from". I think most governments seem to take the lessons of history and subtract them from their thinking before formulating policy Dodgy

Blame Hegel not me Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
17-01-2017, 08:01 AM
"If you can't beat 'em, become as crazy as a fucking loon and enjoy the ride."
- Mark Tufo, Zombie Fallout book 8.

He's definitely become one of my favorite authors Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
18-01-2017, 09:00 PM
[Image: 529a732b197674df5f592d1dc0a7e5c5.jpg]

Just once, I'd love to meet someone in passing who utters things like this.

Be true to yourself. Heart
19-01-2017, 12:04 AM
(18-01-2017 09:00 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  [Image: 529a732b197674df5f592d1dc0a7e5c5.jpg]

Just once, I'd love to meet someone in passing who utters things like this.

They're likely to be a pretentious git. However, look past their bullshit to the true horseshit within them as the morning rises and gilds the sky with light...

Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
26-01-2017, 10:43 AM
The Chinese had an ancient and sophisticated civilization when my relatives were hunkering down in trees.

(Admittedly that was last week, but they’d been drinking.)

From Eat the Rich by P. J. O'Rourke
[+] 2 users Like Gert Heide's post
28-01-2017, 10:38 PM
“In any conflict interaction we encounter layered challenges. One challenge is to maintain a spirit of inquiry about the other—who they might be, what they want, and what it means to them. This is not always easy. Feeling defensive and angry we may find it difficult to maintain curiosity and deepen our understanding of the other. But though we may not understand the other, we often remain focused on her—the other as unreasonable, as calculating, cold or cunning—the other as exacerbating the problem. We wonder why she can’t see the reasonable thing to do. We wonder why she is so closed, so convinced of her views, so difficult.

Carried by the emotions of conflict, we are focused on what we see standing in the way of a good outcome, and what we see is the other. Yet the other is only part of the dance. We may find it difficult to perceive our role in the conflict and what it means to us….

We tend to look for causes and factors outside ourselves rather than in ourselves or in the relationship among us and others. It is difficult for us to move outside our associations with meanings and to imagine that others have completely different ways of understanding and making sense….

In engaging conflict across cultures…cultivating mindful awareness of our assumptions, projections, and metaphors for understanding the world and others it in it….we recognize that others are best understood through dialogue and attempts to see them as they see themselves. Awareness of our inner terrains as they inform what we see and shape our conflict behaviors and expectations is central to effectiveness in conflict.” (LeBaron, Bridging Cultural Conflicts, pp: 92-94)

References

LeBaron, Michelle. (2003). Bridging Cultural Conflicts: A new approach for a changing world. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
30-01-2017, 02:18 AM
This is not actually a quote, but it has the thread "feeling" and I really thought to be appropriate to share it here, I could also just type it but some of the meaning would be lost, please do not stone me to death because of it, unless you are talking about drugs.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
[+] 3 users Like Velvet's post
01-02-2017, 07:01 AM
All religions have based morality on obedience, that is to say, on voluntary slavery. That is why they have always been more pernicious than any political organization. For the latter makes use of violence, the former - of the corruption of the will.

Alexander Herzen.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
01-02-2017, 08:02 AM
[Image: 3195f65f41730373becfc05a2c403fb9.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
01-02-2017, 12:47 PM
Not really a quote, but rather a song lyric, written in 1977, astoundingly prescient and applicable to today's United States:

A Farewell to Kings

When they turn the pages of history
When these days have passed long ago
Will they read of us with sadness
For the seeds that we let grow
We turned our gaze
From the castles in the distance
Eyes cast down
On the path of least resistance

Cities full of hatred
Fear and lies
Withered hearts
And cruel, tormented eyes
Scheming demons
Dressed in kingly guise
Beating down the multitude
And scoffing at the wise
The hypocrites are slandering
The sacred halls of Truth
Ancient nobles showering
Their bitterness on youth
Can’t we find
The minds that made us strong
Can’t we learn
To feel what’s right and wrong

Cities full of hatred
Fear and lies
Withered hearts
And cruel, tormented eyes
Scheming demons
Dressed in kingly guise
Beating down the multitude
And scoffing at the wise
Can’t we raise our eyes
And make a start
Can’t we find the minds
To lead us closer to the Heart

(It's also kind of funny watching Dirk, Lerxst & Pratt prance about in Chinese pyjamas...)
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post