Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
06-02-2017, 10:26 PM
RE: Great quotes
Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put. -- Winston Churchill

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
07-02-2017, 09:55 AM
(06-02-2017 10:26 PM)f stop Wrote:  Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put. -- Winston Churchill

I knew a guy who talked about the unacceptability of using a preposition at the end of a sentence. When he asked someone "Where you going to?", the person said, "You shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition", to which his retort was, "Where you going to, asshole?". Big Grin
[+] 5 users Like Fireball's post
10-02-2017, 12:28 PM
[Image: tp86OT6.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 9 users Like yakherder's post
10-02-2017, 05:18 PM
"It's good to have failure, so you learn something." - Werner VonBraun in this PBS documentary I'm watching.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
10-02-2017, 08:55 PM
Simon Schama, the British historian, recently tweeted: “Indifference about the distinction between truth and lies is the precondition of fascism. When truth perishes so does freedom.”

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
11-02-2017, 05:31 AM
"Today's favour. Tomorrow's chore." Don't turn yourself into the Chief Cook and Bottle-washer for people who are too lazy to ever do anything for themselves or do good deeds in return. There's a difference between earning brownie points and being the doormat for an idle colleague/spoilt kid/manipulative spouse.

"Once is always." If you've even once left an electric lawn mower out to get soaked in the rain - i.e. Dads - or even once put the wrong soap in the washing machine and created a blizzard of bubbles - i.e. Mums - there will always be someone to tell you, your friends and relatives that this is something you do all the time. Don't get angry and don't stick up for yourself. Just be careful to think before your tongue wags and avoid saying such nasty things yourself in similar situations.
[+] 3 users Like Gert Heide's post
12-02-2017, 05:48 AM
A showbiz quote...

"You can take all the sincerity in Hollywood, place it in the navel of a firefly and still have room enough for three caraway seeds and a producer's heart."

- Fred Allen, American humorist

[I've heard this attributed - incorrectly, it appears, but in a shorter and wittier version - to British gentleman cricket player and Hollywood character actor, C. Aubrey Smith.]
17-02-2017, 01:47 PM
Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand.

Karl Marx.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
21-02-2017, 03:22 AM
Now my sorrow is comforted a little. That is to say - not entirely. But I know that he did go back to his planet, because I did not find his body at daybreak. It was not such a heavy body... and at night I love to listen to the stars. It is like five hundred million little bells...

But there is one extraordinary thing. When I drew the muzzle for the little prince, I forgot to add the leather strap to it. He will never have been able to fasten it on his sheep. So now I keep wondering: what is happening on his planet? Perhaps the sheep has eaten the flower.

At one time I say to myself: "Surely not! The little prince shuts his flower under her glass globe every night, and he watches over his sheep very carefully." Then I am happy. And there is sweetness in the laughter of all the stars.

But at another time I say to myself: "At some moment or other one is absent-minded, and that is enough! On some one evening he forgot the glass globe, or the sheep got out, without making any noise, in the night..." And then the little bells are changed to tears.

Here, then, is a great mystery. For you, who also love the little prince, and for me, nothing in the universe can be the same if somewhere - we do not know where - a sheep that we never saw has or has not eaten a rose.

Look up at the sky. Ask yourselves: is it yes or no? Has the sheep eaten the flower? And you will see how everything changes.

And no grown-up will ever understand that this is a matter of so much importance!

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 3 users Like Unbeliever's post
25-02-2017, 09:26 PM
“When a person with money meets a person with experience, the one with experience ends up with the money and the one with money leaves with experience.” adage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce