Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
26-02-2017, 08:39 AM
RE: Great quotes
“Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts” ~ Albert Einstein

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2017, 08:50 AM
“Spend each day trying to be a little wiser than you were when you woke up. Discharge your duties faithfully and well. Slug it out one inch at a time, day by day. At the end of the day— if you live long enough— most people get what they deserve.” ~ Charlie Munger

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
26-02-2017, 09:15 AM
“If 1,000 (money) managers make a market prediction at the beginning of a year, it’s very likely that the calls of at least one will be correct for nine consecutive years. Of course, 1,000 monkeys would be just as likely to produce a seemingly all-wise prophet. But there would remain a difference: The lucky monkey would not find people standing in line to invest with him.” ~ Warren Buffet, from his 2016 letter to investors

http://berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2016ltr.pdf

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
26-02-2017, 08:56 PM
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas." -- anon
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
27-02-2017, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2017 02:18 PM by Unbeliever.)
"I can hardly see a thing," said Milo, taking hold of Tock's tail as a sticky mist engulfed the moon. "Perhaps we should wait until morning."

"They'll be mourning for you soon enough," came a reply from directly above, and this was followed by a hideous cackling laugh very much like someone choking on a fishbone.

"I don't think you understand," said Milo timidly as the watchdog growled a warning. "We're looking for a place to spend the night."

"It's not yours to spend," the bird shrieked again, and followed it with the same horrible laugh.

"That doesn't make any sense, you see-" he started to explain.

"Dollars or cents, it's still not yours to spend," the bird replied haughtily.

"But I didn't mean-" insisted Milo.

"Of course you're mean," interrupted the bird, closing the eye that had been open and opening the one that had been closed. "Anyone who'd spend a night that doesn't belong to him is very mean."

"Well, I thought that by-" he tried again desperately.

"That's a different story," interjected the bird a bit more amiably. "If you want to buy, I'm sure I can arrange to sell, but with what you're doing you'll probably end up in a cell anyway."

"That doesn't seem right," said Milo helplessly, for, with the bird taking everything the wrong way, he hardly knew what he was saying.

"Agreed," said the bird, with a sharp click of his beak, "but neither is it left, although if I were you I would have left a long time ago."

"Let me try once more," he said in an effort to explain. "In other words-"

"You mean you have other words?" cried the bird happily. "Well, by all means, use them. You're certainly not doing very well with the ones you have now."

"Must you always interrupt like that?" said Tock irritably, for even he was becoming impatient.

"Naturally," the bird cackled; "it's my job, I take the words right out of your mouth. Haven't we met before? I'm the Everpresent Wordsnatcher - and I'm sure I know your friend the bug." And then he leaned all the way forward and gave a terrible knowing smile.

The Humbug, who was too big to hide and too frightened to move, denied everything.

"Is everyone in Ignorance like you?" asked MIlo.

"Much worse," he said longingly. "But I don't live here. I'm from a place very far away called Context."

"Don't you think you should be getting back?" suggested the bug, holding one arm up in front of him.

"What a horrible thought." The bird shuddered. "It's such an unpleasant place that I spend almost all my time out of it."

- Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 3 users Like Unbeliever's post
28-02-2017, 02:38 PM
Fuck the faithful, fuck the committed, the dedicated, the true believers; fuck all the sure and certain people prepared to maim and kill whoever got in their way; fuck every cause that ended in murder and a child screaming.

Iain M Banks, in Against A Dark Background
01-03-2017, 11:49 AM
"How do I know you'll keep your word?" asked Coraline.
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."
"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.
"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."

- Neil Gaiman, Coraline

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 3 users Like Unbeliever's post
01-03-2017, 12:52 PM
All religions are cruel, all founded on blood; for all rest principally on the idea of sacrifice - that is, on the perpetual immolation of humanity to the insatiable vengeance of divinity.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
01-03-2017, 03:57 PM
"My name isn't Adam We... or is it?"

--Adam West

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
03-03-2017, 11:14 PM
(17-08-2014 06:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  We have heard talk enough. We have listened to all the drowsy, idea-less,
vapid sermons that we wish to hear. We have read your Bible and the works
of your best minds. We have heard your prayers, your solemn groans and your
reverential amens. All these amount to less than nothing.
We want one fact. We beg at the doors of your churches for just one little fact.
We pass our hats along your pews and under your pulpits and implore you for just one fact.
We know all about your mouldy wonders and your stale miracles. We want a this year's fact.
We ask only one. Give us one fact for charity. Your miracles are too ancient.
The witnesses have been dead for nearly two thousand years.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll

This is one of the two core reasons that pushed my out of Christianity (self pushed). The other reason is the principle that allows a person that hurts someone to go to a deity and ask for forgiveness instead going to the person they hurt to ask for forgiveness.
[+] 2 users Like RicKoehn's post