Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
03-07-2017, 07:26 AM
RE: favorite quotes
I didn't know who the religion is like a penis one came from, but I love it too. I guess it's gotten a little misquoted and paraphrased along its rounds because by the time I heard it it also included something about not shoving it down my children's throats.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
03-07-2017, 07:40 AM
RE: Great quotes
(18-08-2014 10:00 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  "Some cause happiness wherever they go; some whenever they go"

~ Oscar Wilde

Laugh out load

Reminds me of a particular in-law. Of her we also say: "Some people grow up; others just grow old."

By the way, DLJ led me here after I started a quotes thread. I wonder if there is any way to just go ahead and combine two threads when they are a repeat like mine?

Anyway, enjoying the three quote related threads he noted for me----really getting to know everyone from what they quote!

"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
03-07-2017, 08:50 AM
(03-07-2017 07:40 AM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  ...
I wonder if there is any way to just go ahead and combine two threads when they are a repeat like mine?

There is.

Threads merged.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Awesome! Thanks!

03-07-2017, 10:13 AM
“In the end, religion isn't the biggest idea that man has ever had. Science is. Religion is an attempt at reassurance where science is a commitment to exploration. Religion is fearful; science is unafraid. Science pushes back the darkness; religion invites it in.” (Phillip Adams) Consider
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
04-07-2017, 08:33 PM
"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be observed." (Tim Minchin)

[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
05-07-2017, 12:51 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2017 01:06 AM by Gert Heide.)
"There exists a subterranean world where pathological fantasies disguised as ideas are churned out by crooks and half-educated fanatics for the benefit of the ignorant and superstitious. There are time when this underworld emerges from the depths and suddenly fascinates, captures and dominates multitudes of usually sane and responsible people, who thereupon take leave of sanity and responsibility. And it occasionally happens that this underworld becomes a political power and changes the course of history."

- from Warrant for Genocide by Norman Cohn

Though Cohn's writings usually concern medieval events, their relevance is undiminished. In our age, both left and right, aided and abetted by YouTube, churn out gigabyte after gigabyte of undiluted pigswill in often successful attempts to create a viral alternative to reality. Are most people insane or gullible? No. Is a substantial proportion of the population insane and gullible? Obviously.
[+] 3 users Like Gert Heide's post
05-07-2017, 05:33 AM
“Science is for this world, for the use of man. It is perfectly candid. It does not try to conceal, but to reveal. It is the enemy of mystery, of pretense and cant. It does not ask people to be solemn, but sensible. It calls for and insists on the use of all senses, of all the facilities of the mind. It does not pretend to be 'holy' or 'inspired.' It courts investigation, criticism and even denial. It asks for the application of every test, for trial by every standard. It knows nothing of blasphemy and does not ask for the imprisonment of those who ignorantly or knowingly deny the truth. The good that springs from the knowledge of the truth is the only reward it offers, and the evil that results from ignorance is the only punishment it threatens. Its effort is to reform the world through intelligence.” (Robert G. Ingersoll, Myth and Miracle) Consider
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
13-07-2017, 06:40 AM
[Image: ZNdJCRh.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
13-07-2017, 06:48 AM
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.

Max Planck.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post