Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
14-07-2017, 09:40 PM
RE: Great quotes
(14-07-2017 09:04 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  “The inspiration of the Bible depends upon the ignorance of the gentleman who reads it.” (Robert G. Ingersoll)

“The dogma of the infallibility of the Bible is no more self-evident than that of the infallibility of the popes.” (Thomas H. Huxley, Controverted Questions) Consider

Now that I'm at a cross roads again ...leaving faith...and leaning towards concluding that atheism is right for me, I like this quote. Smile

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post
15-07-2017, 03:02 AM
(14-07-2017 09:40 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 09:04 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  “The inspiration of the Bible depends upon the ignorance of the gentleman who reads it.” (Robert G. Ingersoll)

“The dogma of the infallibility of the Bible is no more self-evident than that of the infallibility of the popes.” (Thomas H. Huxley, Controverted Questions) Consider

Now that I'm at a cross roads again ...leaving faith...and leaning towards concluding that atheism is right for me, I like this quote. Smile

> I can honestly say that reading the Bible during my youth was the first step toward being an atheist. Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
15-07-2017, 03:06 AM
“During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution.” (James Madison) Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
15-07-2017, 03:12 AM
(05-07-2017 05:33 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  “Science is for this world, for the use of man. It is perfectly candid. It does not try to conceal, but to reveal. It is the enemy of mystery, of pretense and cant. It does not ask people to be solemn, but sensible. It calls for and insists on the use of all senses, of all the facilities of the mind. It does not pretend to be 'holy' or 'inspired.' It courts investigation, criticism and even denial. It asks for the application of every test, for trial by every standard. It knows nothing of blasphemy and does not ask for the imprisonment of those who ignorantly or knowingly deny the truth. The good that springs from the knowledge of the truth is the only reward it offers, and the evil that results from ignorance is the only punishment it threatens. Its effort is to reform the world through intelligence.” (Robert G. Ingersoll, Myth and Miracle) Consider

"There are some things we don't want to know. Important things!"

- Ned Flanders, American thinker and theologian, speaking on behalf of millions of his fellow retards.
[+] 3 users Like Gert Heide's post
16-07-2017, 02:33 PM
“Faith, fanatic faith, once wedded fast to some dear falsehood, hugs it to the last.” (Thomas Moore)

“Faith is a necessary fraud at best.” (Charles Churchill)

“Faith, n., Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.” (Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary)

“Faith is believing what you know ain't so.” (Mark Twain)
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
18-07-2017, 05:41 AM
[Image: 14574010_606536126222402_8271128936373551104_n.jpg]

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
[+] 2 users Like M. Linoge's post
19-07-2017, 01:43 AM
"Whoever imagines himself a favorite with God holds other people in contempt. Whenever a man believes that he has the exact truth from God, there is in that man no spirit of compromise. He has not the modesty born of the imperfections of human nature; he has the arrogance of theological certainty and the tyranny born of ignorant assurance. Believing himself to be the slave of God, he imitates his master, and of all tyrants, the worst is a slave in power." (Robert G. Ingersoll) Consider
[+] 7 users Like Gwaithmir's post
19-07-2017, 02:00 AM
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Hannah Arendt.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
19-07-2017, 08:40 PM
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." (Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion) Consider

(This is one of the quotes that got me kicked off the Amazon Forums.) Dodgy
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
19-07-2017, 09:20 PM
Thumbsup Tongue

[Image: 115442.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post