Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
29-07-2017, 06:17 AM
RE: Great quotes
(28-07-2017 10:33 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  "Life ain't nothin' but a funny, funny riddle."

--a song that I heard once

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
29-07-2017, 05:06 PM
"Science knows it doesn't know everything; otherwise, it'd stop. But just because science doesn't know everything doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy tale most appeals to you." (Dara Ó Briain) Consider
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
30-07-2017, 05:34 AM
Intellectual freedom is essential -- freedom to obtain and distribute information, freedom for open-minded and unfearing debate and freedom from pressure by officialdom and prejudices. Such freedom of thought is the only guarantee against an infection of people by mass myths, which, in the hands of treacherous hypocrites and demagogues, can be transformed into bloody dictatorship.

Andrei Sakharov.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
30-07-2017, 07:24 AM
“One religion is as true as another.” (Robert Burton) Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
30-07-2017, 09:47 AM
(29-07-2017 06:17 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(28-07-2017 10:33 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  "Life ain't nothin' but a funny, funny riddle."

--a song that I heard once

I heard a guy do a great set of alternative lyrics... I remember a bit.

Oh.. Life in the hood's really kinda whack, just grab the ol' lady and throw her in the sack.....
Flip her on over and fuck 'er from the back...
Thank God I'm a maniac....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-08-2017, 03:20 PM
[Image: e0680c06b0d689c3b163f8bba5994480.jpg]

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 2 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
05-08-2017, 04:47 PM
"Religion. Your reason is now mature enough to examine this object. In the first place, divest yourself of all bias in favor of novelty and singularity of opinion. Indulge them in any other subject than that of religion. It is too important, and the consequences of error may be too serious. On the other hand, shake off all fears and servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." (Thomas Jefferson's advice on religion to his nephew, Peter Carr, in a letter dated August 10, 1787)
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
06-08-2017, 09:39 PM
"If they punch you in the face and you punch them back, is that also empathy?"

Morondog

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
07-08-2017, 04:23 AM
"I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time." (Isaac Asimov, FREE INQUIRY, Spring, 1982) Consider
[+] 5 users Like Gwaithmir's post
11-08-2017, 01:20 AM
(10-08-2017 09:08 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Objects massing more than 20 micrograms can never experience quantum effects. This is the reason why any argument invoking quantum explanations for macroscale phenomena may be summarily dismissed.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post