Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
11-08-2017, 06:18 AM
RE: Great quotes
"Faith is a cop-out. It is intellectual bankruptcy. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by faith, then you are conceding that it can't be taken on its own merits." (Dan Barker)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Gwaithmir's post
11-08-2017, 07:50 AM
Great quotes
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post
11-08-2017, 09:45 AM
“Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied; and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people. The same malignant aspect in republicanism may be traced in the inequality of fortunes, and the opportunities of fraud, growing out of a state of war, and in the degeneracy of manners and of morals engendered by both. No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.” - James Madison.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Shai Hulud's post
11-08-2017, 09:50 AM
[Image: 48f15ff7949996f4e65454b4b129fa29.jpg]

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 9 users Like M. Linoge's post
11-08-2017, 04:52 PM
"Man is the only creature who blushes, or needs to." (Mark Twain) Laughat
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
13-08-2017, 09:35 AM
"A country is not only what it does but what it tolerates" .

Karl Tucholsky.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
13-08-2017, 02:42 PM
“I know of no book which has been a source of brutality and sadistic conduct, both public and private, than can compare with the Bible.” (Reginald Paget) Consider
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
14-08-2017, 11:22 PM
[Image: CSrtPPD.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
15-08-2017, 03:06 AM
“The book of Job is one of the most powerful arguments against God in the atheist arsenal. It proves once and for all that YHWH is not a good god. Even if such a god exists, we surely cannot rely on him to define our morals, to tell us what is good or bad. If holiness is what gods do, then holiness is a terrible thing.” (Victor J. Stenger) Consider
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
16-08-2017, 11:34 AM
A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company. - GIAN VINCENZO GRAVINA (1664 – 1718)

A more light-hearted iteration of Pessoa's "solitude desolates me, company oppresses me".

(With some notable - and horny - exceptions - I've been really lucky in this trip to have met people whose company I enjoy as much as my own Rolleyes )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post